What's the underlying problem?

What's the underlying problem?

• Goaltending

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

Ryder71

Nov 24, 2017
Star players are not stars anymore, but they are paid like ones....it’s pretty simple, no?
I don't think anyone in the top six has aptly pulled their weight this year. It goes beyond Sid and Geno. Although they should shoulder most of that burden.

canadianguy77

Apr 20, 2006
Watching around the league a lot of teams kinda stink imo. Quality of play is pretty low.

Doesn’t excuse us, especially our stars who are completely uninspired, but Im willing to give it a little more time.
A lot of people are completely ignoring the fact that playing regular season games in empty arenas might be having an effect of the quality of the the on-ice product.

Reactions: Hamurai

Bingo71

Apr 3, 2018
Corry, PA
A lot of people are completely ignoring the fact that playing regular season games in empty arenas might be having an effect of the quality of the the on-ice product.
As I’ve said in previous threads, guys like Malkin and Letang operate on emotion, not hockey IQ. They needs something to “get them going” and into a rhythm to be firing on all cylinders. The lack of fans in the stands could factor into this...

Reactions: canadianguy77

T1K

Jul 23, 2013
Pittsburgh
The entire top 6 has been pretty subpar. The defense has had too many injuries to give a proper evaluation for, IMO, but that’s a close 2nd.

I don’t think this is a personnel issue. I think the players are good enough to make us a playoff team if they played up to their full capabilities. Looking at Sid and Geno specifically.

DesertedPenguin

Mar 11, 2007
It's almost not worth having a conversation on here because of this.

People are ignoring the environment the players are playing in, the circumstances leading up to the season, the absolute lack of routine, the lack of practices. They'd much rather believe professional athletes are pouting and trying to get coaches fired.

Reactions: canadianguy77

Turin

Feb 27, 2018
Crosby, Malkin, Marino and Jarry haven’t been good. Team is missing a piece or two from contending but they’re not going to be good if the core of the team sucks. Whether that means Sullivan has worn out his welcome or they are just struggling out the gate after a short camp, or in Jarrys case just aren’t good, I don’t know.

Last edited:

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
last-train-tocool.blogspot.com
Crosby, Malkin, Marino and Jarry haven’t been good. Team is missing a piece or two from contending but they’re not going to be good if the core of the team sucks. Whether that means Sullivan has worn out his welcome or they are just struggling out the gate after a short camp, or in Jarrys case just isn’t good, I don’t know.

Add Guentzel to that list.

Letang also has been entirely mediocre while not downright awful like those five.

Reactions: Turin

CrosbyMalkin

Aug 7, 2005
Can't pick just one option but obviously no training camp and to early to make judgements is number one followed closely by all 4 LD's out at the same time. 4-2 going into the Boston games which we haven't won since 2014. With all the defensman out I was happy to get a point. Really not concerned about this team at this point. I don't panic as quickly as many on these boards that panic after game 1. New GM coming in a few weeks and if team isn't doing well at that time Sullivan will be gone with the GM's own man he wants in. I believe the team has a good group surrounding the core so if it fails it will be the core doesn't have it anymore and that will be okay with me. Worth giving the core another chance before thinking rebuild.

TheSniper26

Oct 2, 2005
Youngstown
I mean, everything analytically points to Letang being his usual dominant self unlike the other two.

The issue defensively has largely been Marino.
To be fair, if we're going strictly by analytics then Crosby hasn't been anywhere near as bad as this thread is making him out to be(which is more a cautionary note on analytics than anything else).

I more or less agree with you about Letang though. He's been fine. I'd still like more from him, and I think he'll get there, but he hasn't really been an issue of concern.

Cleatus

Nov 21, 2008
Calgary, AB, CAN
I can't be 100% certain on this, but I think it's becoming a pretty strong case of oldritis for Pittsburgh.

Happens to the best of them, just be grateful you got to witness an amazing team win 3 cups, and enjoy their twilight years (as rough as they'll be at times).

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad