What's the most vicious stick incident you ever saw in hockey?

dafoomie

Jul 22, 2005
Boston
It's more the way he deliberately sneaked up behind him for the attack that makes it so dirty. Most other ones can use heat of the moment as an excuse. McSorely can't.
McSorley was trying to goad him into a fight before the game ended, since at the time there was an automatic suspension for fighting after time expires. They fought earlier and Brashear had shown him up, flexing his biceps, dusting off his hands and generally making an ass of himself. Later in the 1st period, McSorley tried to get Brashear to fight him, but he wouldn't go, and McSorley got a 10 minute misconduct. With McSorley in the box, Brashear injured Byron Dafoe, his knee I believe, and knocked him out for the year. Later on he skated over to the Bruins bench and flexed his muscles. Classy.

Burns sent him out to fight Brashear in the last minute. McSorley stated that he was trying to hook his shoulder, and you can see the stick slide up the arm into the helmet, it wasn't a direct chop to the head. McSorley was also playing with a bad left shoulder, which hurt his control of his stick.

McSorley had a 16 year NHL career, fought a lot of guys but didn't have the reputation of a Dale Hunter or Ulf Samuelsson for trying to injure guys. I find it unlikely that he would do that intentionally, though he's still responsible for his stick. Plus, I find it ironic that some Canucks fans, the team of Wayne Maki and Todd Bertuzzi, still loudly proclaim this as the worst incident ever.

This is a decent article from SI on the issue:
http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/features/cover/news/2000/11/30/mcsorley_yir/

Fish on The Sand

Untouchable
Feb 28, 2002
Canada
I also can't help but think Brashear, and the Canucks, faked or embellished the injury. Something about seeing Brashear laying on the ice with his eyes closed, just seems fake to me. Then, there was him being diagnosed with a grade 3 concussion only to miss like 1 game or something, if that.

BRONX_MADNESS*

Gary suter was a gutless pig, after he slashed Gretzkey in a canada USA game way back when gretz was never the same..

Big Phil

Nov 2, 2003
Perezhogin did one of the most brutal acts ever seen in Hockey. But just to lay all the blame on him in totally unfair. Sure he levelled Garrett Stafford right in the face with a homerun style swing but dont forget the moments leading up to it. There's a scramble in front of the net, Stafford and Perezhogin both fall down. Staffod - who is every bit as cowardly as Perezhogin - takes a swipe at his head with his stick and it was a good swipe too. It glances off the top of Perrezhogin's helmet and in a retaliatory state of mind he swings back at him.

Does that make it right? No. But dont forget even though Stafford is lying on the ice in convulsions he still got a 6 game suspension. People forget that. Stafford swung his stick wildly too, he just missed. I can remember Stafford's coach after the game (cant remember his name) saying it was the worst thing he'd ever seen in Hockey. That may be true, but does he forget that his own player started it? I wonder how he feels about that? Its just like when Mike Modano was crying foul over his hit form behind by Salei (and he should) but did he feel the same way when his teammate the cheapster of all-time Derian Hatcher broke Roenick's jaw? Sometimes in Hockey there's the attitude of: "I'll onl complain if it happens to me."

Perezhogin did a wrong thing and I'm not defending him. It was almost as ugly as it gets. But you need to look at the whole picture. Stafford needs to share some blame too. Perezhogin has had that stick swinging thing follow him. When he levelled Primeau last year giving him a concussion he was chastised. Look Primeau is 6'5" 230lbs. Perezhogin isnt anywhere near that.

Big Phil

Nov 2, 2003
Another thing I always wonder. Turgeon had that nasty hit from behind in '93 from Hunter in the first round. I dont get why he played 11 playoff games. I thought he had a separated shoulder on that play. If he played 11 games that means he played in either the Pens series or against the Habs. Can anyone remember that?

LadyByngJeanRatelle

Jan 26, 2003
Visit site
Perezhogin did one of the most brutal acts ever seen in Hockey. But just to lay all the blame on him in totally unfair. Sure he levelled Garrett Stafford right in the face with a homerun style swing but dont forget the moments leading up to it. There's a scramble in front of the net, Stafford and Perezhogin both fall down. Staffod - who is every bit as cowardly as Perezhogin - takes a swipe at his head with his stick and it was a good swipe too. It glances off the top of Perrezhogin's helmet and in a retaliatory state of mind he swings back at him.

Does that make it right? No. But dont forget even though Stafford is lying on the ice in convulsions he still got a 6 game suspension. People forget that. Stafford swung his stick wildly too, he just missed. I can remember Stafford's coach after the game (cant remember his name) saying it was the worst thing he'd ever seen in Hockey. That may be true, but does he forget that his own player started it? I wonder how he feels about that? Its just like when Mike Modano was crying foul over his hit form behind by Salei (and he should) but did he feel the same way when his teammate the cheapster of all-time Derian Hatcher broke Roenick's jaw? Sometimes in Hockey there's the attitude of: "I'll onl complain if it happens to me."

Perezhogin did a wrong thing and I'm not defending him. It was almost as ugly as it gets. But you need to look at the whole picture. Stafford needs to share some blame too. Perezhogin has had that stick swinging thing follow him. When he levelled Primeau last year giving him a concussion he was chastised. Look Primeau is 6'5" 230lbs. Perezhogin isnt anywhere near that.

Um probably, the reason Hatcher did it is because of the cheap shot Roenick laid on Modano.

Whitesnake

If you rebuild, they will come.
Jan 5, 2003

I'm a Habs fan so I'll be biased in my opinion. But it is ugly for the result, the convulsions and all. It was also ugly as far as taking a baseball swing at somebody. You should NEVER ever take a baseball swing aiming at the heels, at the head, at the fingers of anybody, never.

But obviously, in Perezhogin defense, if there might be a slight one, if somebody takes a baseball swing at you first, let's see how you will react. And for me it's clear, for some it's not probably depending if he's one of your prospects or not, I don't believe he had anything to aim for the head. Did a real fast 360, probably thinking the guy had time to stand up. I think you see a little by his reaction standing there looking at him second after he hit him.

For those reason, while it was awful to watch, obviously more 'cause of the convulsions, I believe the McSorley to Brashear one was worst 'cause it wasn't in direct or sudden retaliation to a gesture made and you pretty much can think that he really aimed at the head in his case.....

NewGuy

Jun 29, 2002
Another thing I always wonder. Turgeon had that nasty hit from behind in '93 from Hunter in the first round. I dont get why he played 11 playoff games. I thought he had a separated shoulder on that play. If he played 11 games that means he played in either the Pens series or against the Habs. Can anyone remember that?

I recall Turgeon coming back for part of the series against the Habs.

Ad

Ad

Ad

-->