Whats the longest a NHL game has gone with out a whistle?

Buck Aki Berg

Done with this place
Sep 17, 2008
Ottawa, ON
Went to a Sens/Sharks game in 1999 that had almost eight minutes before the first whistle. And this was back-and-forth, end-to-end, firewagon hockey. Bes t game I've ever seen live :nod:

Retail1LO*

Whatever it is, 20 minutes is the max. Unless you don't consider the horn at the end of the period "a whistle."

Hardyvan123

tweet@HardyintheWack
Jul 4, 2010
Vancouver
I have seen games where 8 plus minutes went by between whistles but would be very surprised if one ever went double digits in the post 70's era (time that I have watched games live).

jkrx

Feb 4, 2010
There were an Red Wings vs Avalanche game that, I think, went double digits between whistles.

connellc

Dec 2, 2010
I remember watching a Leafs game where they went 11 minutes without a whistle. Can't exactly remember when though. I think it was in 07-08.

I think I remember watching this game too. It was against the bruins and I know it was NOT on a weekend because it was during my first year of university working on a project with classmates. I was really shocked because I had never watched Leafs games and the flow of the game was amazing. In addition to this, the commontotors (Bowen) was surprised at how long he went without a commercial break. I'm about 90% sure it was against the Bruins.

isles52480

Feb 27, 2002
Portland, OR
Visit site
I remember an Isles - Caps game a few years ago where after the start of the 2nd period the first whistle came with 8:49 left on the clock (not sure why I remember the exact time). What was really funny about that was the fact that they kept fans from walking to their seats until a whistle and since it was at the start of the period, once the whistle blew thousands of fans flowed into the seating area.

elbato1968

Mar 11, 2014
The penguins and capitals played for 13:45 in the first period with no stoppage on march 11, 2014.
it was very cool to watch. Alot of variables must be in play for this to happen, no penalties, icing, puck out of play, goals, off side, etc.

Big Phil

Nov 2, 2003
Put it this way, whenever I am at a game and I have to wait in the doorway to get back to my seat, THAT is always the longest a game goes without a whistle.

But seriously, we should be able to find the record.

kmad

riot survivor
Jun 16, 2003
Vancouver
Put it this way, whenever I am at a game and I have to wait in the doorway to get back to my seat, THAT is always the longest a game goes without a whistle.

Wrong. During the playoffs, when you have to go to the bathroom. That's when it's always the longest without a whistle.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->