What's the difference? Phaneuf or Barker by the numbers....

Status
Not open for further replies.

HabLover

Mar 2, 2002
Sandspit
Visit site
Dion Phaneuf - 6'2 200lbs

16 yrs old - 66gp, 5g + 12a = 17pts, +21, 170pims
17 yrs old - 71gp, 16g + 14a = 30pts, +28, 185pims
18 yrs old - 62gp, 19g + 24a = 43pts, +11, 126pims
19 yrs old - 17gp, 11g + 8a = 19pts, +5, 25pims

Cam Barker - 6'3 200lbs

16 yrs old - 64gp, 10g + 37a = 47pts, -16, 79pims
17 yrs old - 69gp, 21g + 44a = 65pts, +17, 105pims
18 yrs old - 22gp, 5g + 20a = 25pts, +11, 46pims

So what's the big difference between these two blue chip prospects? Look at Barker's number's early on and they are much better than Phaneuf's. Both have played on very good teams in their early years, perhaps Barker's team at 16 wasn't very good, but he still put up some fine numbers. Is Barker better offensively than Phaneuf, even though Phaneuf scored 19 times last year and would probably put up 30 goals this year as a D-man if not for the WJC. I think everyone would agree that Phaneuf is the more physical D-man between the two? So in the end, who will be better?

mazmin

Wig like a mink skin, soft like Twinkie dough
May 15, 2004
Winnipeg
They both do everything well. They can both hit, shoot, pass and skate with the best of them. As you implied, Phaneuf is a harder hitter but Barker is more of a scoring threat. Barker is one of the best stickhandling d-men I have ever seen in junior hockey. The kid can dangle!

BuppY

xGoodwillx
Dec 24, 2003
relatednews.net
mazmin said:
They both do everything well. They can both hit, shoot, pass and skate with the best of them. As you implied, Phaneuf is a harder hitter but Barker is more of a scoring threat. Barker is one of the best stickhandling d-men I have ever seen in junior hockey. The kid can dangle!

Aree with you ;)

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
HabLover said:
So what's the big difference between these two blue chip prospects? Look at Barker's number's early on and they are much better than Phaneuf's. Both have played on very good teams in their early years, perhaps Barker's team at 16 wasn't very good, but he still put up some fine numbers. Is Barker better offensively than Phaneuf, even though Phaneuf scored 19 times last year and would probably put up 30 goals this year as a D-man if not for the WJC. I think everyone would agree that Phaneuf is the more physical D-man between the two? So in the end, who will be better?

Phaneuf is more physical by a far margin and difficult to play against .. Barker is more offensively creative and likely to post better offense numbers at the NHL level ..

Mizral

Sep 20, 2002
Earth, MW
Visit site
Phaneuf is just flat out a better player. I haven't seen Barker play in a little while mind you, but the numbers doesn't make for a good comparison. You gotta watch Phaneuf play to really appreciate everything he brings to the table.

Colt.45Orr

Mar 23, 2003
Canada
Jay Thompson said:
Phaneuf is just flat out a better player. I haven't seen Barker play in a little while mind you, but the numbers doesn't make for a good comparison. You gotta watch Phaneuf play to really appreciate everything he brings to the table.

I concur...

except that I have seen Barker this year...

Mizral

Sep 20, 2002
Earth, MW
Visit site
Please note that this doesn't mean Barker sucks. Hardly, he's a very competant defensman who has top 3 upside for sure. Phaneuf however is in that 'other level'. If I had to compare the two, it'd be something like Scott Stevens to Eric Brewer. While both would be classified as top-tier defensemen, Stevens obviously blows Brewer out of the water at similar ages.

bruins4777*

I'm going to agree with the guy who said that phaneuf is on a higher "level" than barker. Personally i think barker is pretty overrated. A lot of people i've talked to have been saying barker has a higher celing than bouwmeester. To me at the most barker will be is a no.1 defensemen with decent all-star potential. However i think phaneuf will be one of those "game breaking" dmen. He like stevens will, in the future, be able to change a single game with just one open ice hit.

But both won't be as good as bouwmeester so lets leave it at that :D

kruezer

Apr 21, 2002
North Bay
I love Phaneuf and I see the guy all the time, but from what I've seen of Barker, I'd take him. People have been too down on Barker lately IMO. I do think Barker will be better than Bouwmeester personally. I think Jay will be a very good defensemen, but I just think Barker has a better head for the game, not that Jay or Dion suck at reading the game, but thats where Barker has another level IMO, his offensive reads are second to none. Phaneuf is a dynamo on the PP, but with 5 men coming against him, I don't think he can pick his spots like Barker can. Bouwmeester has the most physical skills though, he's just imposing and lightning fast. I'd do it like this.

Barker>Bouwmeester=Phaneuf

bruins4777*

kruezer said:
I love Phaneuf and I see the guy all the time, but from what I've seen of Barker, I'd take him. People have been too down on Barker lately IMO. I do think Barker will be better than Bouwmeester personally. I think Jay will be a very good defensemen, but I just think Barker has a better head for the game, not that Jay or Dion suck at reading the game, but thats where Barker has another level IMO, his offensive reads are second to none. Phaneuf is a dynamo on the PP, but with 5 men coming against him, I don't think he can pick his spots like Barker can. Bouwmeester has the most physical skills though, he's just imposing and lightning fast. I'd do it like this.

Barker>Bouwmeester=Phaneuf

Personally i'd do
bouwmeester>>phaneuf>barker

Out of defensemen i think the guy with the best head is ryan suter. I mean barker has a nice head on his shoulders, but i don't think i've seen a defensemen better at reading the play than ryan suter for a long time.

Also Bouwmeester's vision is top tier to me, not up to kraijeck's, but then again few are. I'd say its either as good or better than phaneuf's and barkers. I think most of phaneuf's success scoring wise is mostly from that enourmous shot from the point.

To me bouwmeester can excel above barker and phaneuf because he has everything. Vision, skill, hitting(now developing with recent world cup events), poise, and everything that a franchiser needs to have. Seeing all of this i really think he is better than barker and phaneuf. I've also seen bouwmeester more than barker and phaneuf and the fact that bouwmeester is my fav player probably sways my opinion though ;)

Out of the 3 this is how i rank.
hitting:phaneuf
speed:bouwmeester by miles
puckhandling:bouwmeester
shot:bouwmeester
vision:bouwmeester
passing:bouwmeester
defensive ability:bouwmeester

So as you see here, to me bouwmeester vastly out ranks everybody :D

Anyways, just my opinion. I think its easiest to judge bouwmeester because i've seen him in the NHL, world cup, WJC's, and world championships. I've only seen phaneuf at the WJC's and a few junior games. Same with barker.

andora

Apr 23, 2002
Victoria
bruins4777 said:
speed, or skating abilities ? there is a difference

bruins4777 said:
remember, we must compare barker to bouwmeester at barker's age now.. barker imo has the better puck moves

bruins4777 said:
what type of shot, there are plenty

bruins4777 said:

:dunno:, this is a tough one... also, breakout passing, on the rush, powerplay etc.. again it isn't cut and dry

bruins4777 said:

again, defensive ability how, along the boards, puck pressure, positioning etc...

sooooooooo... :D

kruezer

Apr 21, 2002
North Bay
Yeah, its a tough call, I watch alot of WHL action, and even having seen all of these guys tonnes of times, my opinion still changes all the time.

Trying to compare them each at the same age is tough, because they're all young and developing, and at different rates.

Sometimes its week to week with me ranking these guys. And yes, I do think about it all too often, I should get back to my Comp Sci report. :D

andora

Apr 23, 2002
Victoria
so what's the difference between us, we can start at the penis, or we can scream I JUST DON'T GIVE A **** and see who means it

bruins4777*

Ok for that person with the huge comparison challenge?

skating abilities:
bouwmeester still by miles

puckhandling:
i'm still taking bouwmeester

shot in general, from the point, wrister, slap, inclose, etc:
still bouwmeester

passing in general once again:
once again bouwmeester

defensive ability in general including along the boards, in front of net, everything:
what a suprise bouwmeester again.

As for age differences? Remeber that bouwmeester played on a team with an inompetent goalie and spear headed the top offense in the league. He also played MUCH more WJC's than barker and phaneuf and played better than them at those WJC's so do you want to take that into account? Bouwmeester would have played in a record 4 wjc's if it wasn't for the fact that he was soo good at the NHL that the panthers needed him.

mazmin

Wig like a mink skin, soft like Twinkie dough
May 15, 2004
Winnipeg
bruins4777 said:
skating abilities:

puckhandling:

still bouwmeester

once again bouwmeester

defensive ability in general including along the boards, in front of net, everything:

That's one opinion.

Here's another:

They're all pretty similar players as I stated above. From what I've seen Bouwmeester is the best skater, Phaneuf is the toughest and Barker has the best offensive skills. They are three of my favourite players so I don't have any particular bias. I guess we'll have to wait and see how they turn out.

andora

Apr 23, 2002
Victoria
bruins4777 said:
Ok for that person with the huge comparison challenge?

skating abilities:

puckhandling:

still bouwmeester

once again bouwmeester

figured so

bruins4777 said:
if it wasn't for the fact that he was soo good at the NHL that the panthers needed him.

do you mean the way that nhl teams rush in under aged players all the time

bruins4777*

andora said:
figured so

do you mean the way that nhl teams rush in under aged players all the time

? He made the team out of training camp showed tremendous poise. He started off as a no. 5 dman on the 2nd power play unit. By the time the all-star break rolled around he was a no.2 dman on the first power play unit and 2nd penalty kill unit. By the end of the season he was the no.1 dman on first power play and first penalty kill. He played all 82 games. Few rookies accomplish that. He was the panthers best and most consistent dman the whole year. His numbers suck, but consider the team he was on. Anyways, he could have gone to a 4th straight WJC, but the panthers needed him so badly they couldn't afford to send him. If he went he would have set a record for 4 WJC's. That was my point. He was also the youngest player ever to play in the WJC's. Which is, to me, more impressive cause he was a dman. While forwards have 12 spots, dmen have 6 and he made it as a 16 year old and did a damn good job of it too. Considerin phaneuf and barker came no where close to making the WJC's at this age, i don't think they contend.

Mizral

Sep 20, 2002
Earth, MW
Visit site
bruins4777 said:
Personally i'd do
bouwmeester>>phaneuf>barker

Out of defensemen i think the guy with the best head is ryan suter. I mean barker has a nice head on his shoulders, but i don't think i've seen a defensemen better at reading the play than ryan suter for a long time.

Also Bouwmeester's vision is top tier to me, not up to kraijeck's, but then again few are. I'd say its either as good or better than phaneuf's and barkers. I think most of phaneuf's success scoring wise is mostly from that enourmous shot from the point.

To me bouwmeester can excel above barker and phaneuf because he has everything. Vision, skill, hitting(now developing with recent world cup events), poise, and everything that a franchiser needs to have. Seeing all of this i really think he is better than barker and phaneuf. I've also seen bouwmeester more than barker and phaneuf and the fact that bouwmeester is my fav player probably sways my opinion though ;)

Out of the 3 this is how i rank.
hitting:phaneuf
vision:bouwmeester

So as you see here, to me bouwmeester vastly out ranks everybody :D

Anyways, just my opinion. I think its easiest to judge bouwmeester because i've seen him in the NHL, world cup, WJC's, and world championships. I've only seen phaneuf at the WJC's and a few junior games. Same with barker.

Agreed with you on Suter, but how about heart? Phaneuf is just a guy you win with, Bouwmeester I still feel doesn't play hard enough. Plus I think he's just way too weak physically.

bruins4777*

Jay Thompson said:
Agreed with you on Suter, but how about heart? Phaneuf is just a guy you win with, Bouwmeester I still feel doesn't play hard enough. Plus I think he's just way too weak physically.

Bouwmeester doesn't play hard? Come on now? Bouwmeester doesn't play as physical as phaneuf for sure, but thats not his game. However look at this bouwmeester's work ethic is incredible. I think heart has a lot to do with work ethic. And bouwmeester is constantly striving to improve and changing his game when the situation calls.

Look at the world cup, he is normally a puck rusher with no fear and a perfect pincher, but pat quinn wanted him to play more defensive and bouwmeester reacted perfectly. He played a more defensive style of hockey and while he still pinched and rushed, he played fantastic. Depending on the situation bouwmeester has always played great.

While he isn't the most physical out of the three he still has loads of heart. Throughout his whole career, outside of international comps, he has always played on a poor team. Medicine hat never made the playoffs because of a poor goalie and horrid defense outside of him, the panthers are growing, but these 2 seasons thus far are fairly poor. Despite this he has showed tremendous poise and leadership. On games where he has dominanted he'll distract the attention away saying things like "i couldn't have done it without my team mates" and such.

He may not be as physical, but to me his heart can't be questioned. Rather than quit on plays, he constantly goes into corners and pinches viciouslly. While he typically relies on his skating to blow away people and beat them that way defensively he is perfectly capable of physical play. Look at that hit where he KILLED amonte at the world cup. Hit of the world cup to me.

Heart can be demonstrated in other ways than grit.

As for way to weak physicaly? Come on now. There is a reason people have said things like "paul coffey skating in a chris pronger body". His body is filled out and he is very strong. He doesn't get that skating with a weak frame.

Sammy*

Jay Thompson said:
Bouwmeester I still feel doesn't play hard enough. Plus I think he's just way too weak physically.
:amazed: :amazed:
This is an unbelievably uninformed comment.
Its all fine to be on the Phaneuf hype train but god man, from this comment its like you have never seen Boumeester play.
Unbelievable.

andora

Apr 23, 2002
Victoria
bouwmeester can float, as can most players. sure, he doesn't do it very much, but i agree with jay thompson in this sense. jay doesn't have that inborn mean nasty streak that makes him punish players etc.. like an adam foote or even dion phaneuf has, and in that sense, when you look for a defenceman to nail a guy or rough him up, you don't see that with jay and in that case may see it as a defficiency, wheras the truth is jay doesn't need to play that way to still dominate all over the place, using his size, reach, skating, and smarts to win defensively, kind of like niklas lidstrom does

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad