What's the difference? Malkin and Ovechkin by the numbers...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Evilo

Mar 17, 2002
France
bryan579 said:
who cares about stats?? What about the things that don't get counted that Ovechkin does, like hits, dominating games, ect ect... i dont think malkin is known for his dominating play
Malkin can be physical, and I don't think he's softer than Ovechkin.
AO is solid physically, but don't expect a power forward either!

Evilo

Mar 17, 2002
France
EroCaps said:
Not worth debating anymore.
I'm not debating who'll be better. I think AO will.

But it's worth noting that Malkin might join AO in the elite pretty soon.

Amen evil king

Apr 11, 2004
Evilo said:
Nope as I said, Malkin is only getting the drawbacks of the NHL influx.

I wouldn't call having Gonchar and Kalinin on your blueline a 'drawback'. Playing against 2nd/3rd defensive pairings isn't much of a drawback either.. Two luxuries that Ovechkin didn't have (well, I'm not sure about the last one, but I would assume the top-LW in the RSL [or whatever the award was] was facing the top defensive pairings most nights).

EroCaps

Aug 24, 2003
Virginia
Evilo said:
I'm not debating who'll be better. I think AO will.

Malkin is already an elite prospect, IMO.

Mothra

The Groovy Guru
Jul 16, 2002
Parts Unknown
Visit site
Evilo said:
Possible.
I don't have the numbers.
I know Malkin is playing most of the time on the third line, that's all I can give you.

I dont know who plays with who....or on what line.....but a couple points....if he plays on the 3rd line wouldnt it makes sense that he doesnt get the top checking line/d pair on a consistant basis?....on the other side, even if he (EM) benefits from playing with NHLers doesnt it mean he plays against more NHLers than AO did last season?

This whole thing is just ridiculous IMO....whats the over/under on when someone brings up the EM/small bones theory?

Evilo

Mar 17, 2002
France
EroCaps said:
He hasn't accomplished nearly what Ovechkin, Crosby have.
Well, he's on pace to accomplish (at least statistically) more than AO last year in the RSL at the same age.

SwOOsh*

Evilo said:

I don't think you even have to defend Malkin as being an elite prospect to me it's pretty evident, even look at the choose 1 forward/ 1 defenseman / 1 goalie thread and see how many people chose Malkin as their forward, which says quite a lot IMO. To me Malkin has shown that the "gap" isn't that large between him an AO.

cassius

Jul 23, 2004
Interesting point.. Malkin is really tearing it up for his age.

Its really pathetic that half the people in this thread can't comprehend the point that you are making ... that Malkin is accomplishing more than AO did when he was his same age. It seems like a pretty cogent statement to me.
:yo:

Smart Alek

Jul 13, 2002
Ugh... these guys are players, not commodities.

Newsflash: If your 'team' has the better of the two players in the end, it does not reflect on you personally in any way.

Try actually watching them play and enjoy their skill... it's silly to waste your time arguing over boxscores. If you had watched them this year, you'd know that they both are playing very well, and at the same time, have entirely different skill sets that make comparisons pointless.

They're both going to be good... one's going to be better. That will depend on so many intagibles (injuries, linemates, car accidents, personal lives, etc.) that one can only say at this time that either of the two could have the greater career.

If stats told the whole story, NHL teams wouldn't employ scouts.

IkeaMonkey*

cassius said:
Interesting point.. Malkin is really tearing it up for his age.

Its really pathetic that half the people in this thread can't comprehend the point that you are making ... that Malkin is accomplishing more than AO did when he was his same age. It seems like a pretty cogent statement to me.
:yo:

Hmmmmmmm the point our biased friend Evilo was trying to make is that at the same age, Malkin is "outproducing" Ovechkin. The numbers, in fact are true. What Evilo cannot swallow is the fact that at 18, Ovechkin was not getting the same icetime Malkin is getting now. He also does not want to admit that at 18, Malkin has better linemates than Ovechkin had last year. Truth be told, if Evilo wasnt known as such a homer, his post could have SOME credibility.

SwOOsh*

Trying to compare the two from two different seasons with the lockout effect (can be argued as positive or negative to either one) and not knowing the number of minutes played and most of all not making are judgements from watching them play makes it a very "hypothetical" comparison. A better indication should be the WJC this year in which both will be in the same situation, and one in which we can all watch (well most of us ;) )

EroCaps

Aug 24, 2003
Virginia
Evilo said:
Well, he's on pace to accomplish (at least statistically) more than AO last year in the RSL at the same age.

You're one argument is flawed, and there are more than half a dozen broken records and achievments for Ovechkin that Malkin hasn't touched.

Crosbyfan

Nov 27, 2003
EroCaps said:
You're one argument is flawed, and there are more than half a dozen broken records and achievments for Ovechkin that Malkin hasn't touched.

For instance Malkin did not lead the Moscow Dynamo in goals as the youngest player ever. Ovechkin did and, if my memory serves me correctly, he had 13 goals.

EroCaps

Aug 24, 2003
Virginia
Crosbyfan said:
For instance Malkin did not lead the Moscow Dynamo in goals as the youngest player ever. Ovechkin did and, if my memory serves me correctly, he had 13 goals.

:lol:

Steve Latin*

Crosbyfan said:

That might be true, but Malkin is doing well in spite of his thin bones and drug problems.

S L

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com
Evilo said:
Just wanted to throw these numbers to judge how some of you would react :

Ovechkin last year : 53GP, 13G, 10A, 23P, 42 PIMs

Malkin this year (so far) : 29GP, 6G, 11A, 17P, 14 PIMs

Both at 18.

Thoughts?

Aside from the numbers, size and style of hockey stick out. Ovechkin looks big and plays big from the games I've seen. I've only seen 3 RSL games of AO, 1 last year 2 last month. Malkin looks more like he's got the body frame of Mike Ribeiro only taller and he didn't seem to play any sort of physical game either, but I only saw 2 games and both were last year.

The Old Master

come and take it.
Sep 27, 2004
burgh
SauveQuiPeut said:
I expect this thread to be filled with intelligent discourse and completely unbiased assessments of each player.
a lot of wishfull thinking, i think.but we will find out, when the puck is droped between the caps and pens in 2005!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->