Whats the deal with Varlamov?

Bill Peckerskull

Fargin' Icehole
Feb 19, 2003
Castle Rock, CO
The writing was on the wall for Varly when they dealt for Gru at the Draft last summer, and he hasn't done anything to change things. Someone will take a flyer on him. There's teams that could need a starting goalie next season, like Vancouver, Buffalo, NYI, Columbus, Ottawa, or Edmonton. And there's places that have starters but he might be able to come in and steal a job away like SJ, Arizona, Detroit, Carolina, and Calgary. And then there's places where we don't know what will happen with their current goalies, like LA, Nashville, Chicago, or NYR. Hell, he might get big $$$ from a KHL team and go back to Russia.

Pokecheque

Whack it Hard to Girard
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2003
The Middle West
www.armoredheadspace.com
My only (and final) gripe about the trade was that the team took steps to turn itself into a big, slow, offensively inept squad with a top "shutdown" pairing of O'Byrne/Hejda IIRC. That was just plain idiocy. It was like they were trying to tank it after trading away their first rounder. Thankfully Varly and Giguere were good enough to keep it from being a super-high pick. I suppose it's also somewhat comforting that 2012 has ended up being a pretty disappointing draft. On the other hand...arguably the best player out of that draft was the guy picked with the Avs' pick. Ugh.

Anyhow, enough of that. In the end I'm glad he got at least one more start before his likely departure.

In the end, the Avs got the best starting goaltending in franchise history since that Roy guy from 2011-2019. Can't argue that at all.

Is this the end? Very likely, but we'll see.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->