Whats the deal with Varlamov?

Foppberg

Nov 20, 2016
Summerside, PEI
Francouz is a free agent and another team might offer him more . No guarantee he will sign.
I'll be surprised if he doesn't.

Varly gone, only Grubauer left. Unless he gets more money + term + a team needing a starter (which we also do, and he's already here...), then I don't see him leaving.

Piestany88

Sep 29, 2017
I'll be surprised if he doesn't.

Varly gone, only Grubauer left. Unless he gets more money + term + a team needing a starter (which we also do, and he's already here...), then I don't see him leaving.
Check ur messages :thumbu: thx for the tip

Iceberg

May 4, 2002
Surely you recognize the difference between 11 times in 59 games and 12 times in 48?

And it's not like even the best goalies are immune to bad games, they happen to everyone over the course of an 82 game season. The point is that for Varly they happen more often, which is what makes him more along the lines of an average starter then above average.

I'm also not sure I buy the defense argument either. Yes the Preds defense is better no question, I dont think it has a significant impact on goalie stats though. Especially not sv%.

Sakic didn't trade a 2nd for a expensive backup when there is a buch of backups that could be had for free every year.

Grubauer hasn't been great but is starting to play better and he we'll be the starter, if not this year then next. Can't see Varlamov here next season.

Bonzai12

Nov 2, 2007
Denver CO
I was never a big Varlamov fan. So glad we are moving on.

Was Varlamov a Roy decision? Can’t remember if Roy was here before or after Varly. I always thought the team was desperate for Varly to carry everything on his shoulders like a Roy-type.

Hasbro

Family Friend
Sponsor
Apr 1, 2004
South Rectangle
I was never a big Varlamov fan. So glad we are moving on.

Was Varlamov a Roy decision? Can’t remember if Roy was here before or after Varly. I always thought the team was desperate for Varly to carry everything on his shoulders like a Roy-type.
Predates Roy.

Probably Pierre Lacroix.

McMetal

Writer of Wrongs
Sep 29, 2015
Varley gets way too much flak around here, IMO. His game gets put under a a microscope a lot and he gets blamed for goals that I really don't think you can pin on him (pucks through screens/legs, back door passes, etc). Part of why he was losing games was because the team in front of him wasn't scoring either, and we see Grubi having identical struggles after people clamored for him to be given the starter job (not his fault the top line's gone cold either).

Reactions: klozge

Avsboy

Dec 12, 2006
Predates Roy.

Probably Pierre Lacroix.

It was a Sherman trade. The trade that got Washington Filip Forsberg from the draft.

Varly got us into the playoffs a few times. He was worth it but is past his prime now.

The Abusement Park

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 18, 2016
Varley gets way too much flak around here, IMO. His game gets put under a a microscope a lot and he gets blamed for goals that I really don't think you can pin on him (pucks through screens/legs, back door passes, etc). Part of why he was losing games was because the team in front of him wasn't scoring either, and we see Grubi having identical struggles after people clamored for him to be given the starter job (not his fault the top line's gone cold either).

Well I think people have higher expectations for him because most people here claim he’s an elite goalie. Well if people want him to be an elite goalie, it comes with big expectations. I think both goalies have been as good as each other this year, actually probably a slight advantage to Varly.

Bjornar Moxnes

Stem Rødt og Felix Unger Sörum
Oct 16, 2016
Troms og Finnmark
Last season's Vezina winner Pekka Rinne allowed 4 or more goals in 11 of his 59 starts. If we extrapolate both goalies stats for full season Varly allows 4 or more goals 20 times and the number for Rinne is 15. Rinne plays in front of good defensive team and Varly plays in front of guys like Nemeth, Lindholm and Alt. Kind of useless stat in my opinion and it didn't make Varly seem so inconsistent like u guys are trying to argue.

WHen you actually look at team defense in terms of xGA, quality chance suppression, etc. Avs are actually an above average team in that regard, and Nashville isn't elite.

Gabe the Babe

Apr 24, 2014
Surely you recognize the difference between 11 times in 59 games and 12 times in 48?

And it's not like even the best goalies are immune to bad games, they happen to everyone over the course of an 82 game season. The point is that for Varly they happen more often, which is what makes him more along the lines of an average starter then above average.

I'm also not sure I buy the defense argument either. Yes the Preds defense is better no question, I dont think it has a significant impact on goalie stats though. Especially not sv%.
Do you actually GENUINELY believe that playing behind inarguably the best blue line in the NHL and what was arguably a bottom 5 blue line in terms of talent last year?

EJ was hurt 20 games. Barrie about the same. Girard was 19 playing bottom pair minutes and Cole wasn’t even on the Squad. Meanwhile the Preds had two Norris nominees.

Look. Varly on his best day is an elite goalie. Unfortunately he’s on bad streak. And Grubbie just had a solid game. And it can largely be mental. Do I believe he’s the ideal dude to take the net on a cup team? No. But he’s better than Grubauer. And if Varly isn’t the answer neither is Grub. Period.

I’ll say this though. A hot Varly can win you a Stanley cup. He can give you 10-15 straight stud appearances imo. A hot Grub can’t do all that.

Reactions: klozge and McMetal

Gabe the Babe

Apr 24, 2014
Also regardless of what happens next year w Varly/Grub/Francouz.

I hope they draft a Goalie high this year. Late 1st/Early 2nd type high. There are some good ones in this draft and they have extra picks.

HartKinnon

Nov 25, 2010

You do understand that your whole logic of putting high goal games on the shoulders of a goalie is kind of ridiculous and simplifies the game of hockey way too much?

But If Varly has five more bad games while playing for a bubble playoff team compared to the best goalie in the whole league who is playing for the President's Trophy winner team if they played the full 82 game season I wouldn't call it inconsistent.

And that last argument is also kind of silly. Please go and ask an opinion of Brian Elliott from Avs, Flames, Flyers and Blues fans.

Reactions: klozge

Foppa2118

Oct 3, 2003
Goalie A gives your team a legit chance to win every night. Varlamov doesn't even give you a chance in 25% of the games he plays.

It's why I suspect the Avs brought Grubauer in and why he'll hopefully take over the starters role very soon. Consistency.

How has Grubauer been consistent? This year or last? He lost the starter job in the playoffs last year. Had a tough start with the Avs and some bad goals and games. Had some good games. Then gave up iffy goals in each of his last three games which were losses. The kind of goals Varly would be blasted for.

Saying Varly doesn't give his team a chance in 25% of the games is a massive exaggeration. If he was that bad he wouldn't even be in the NHL let alone a starter.

CobraAcesS

De Opresso Liber
Sponsor
Jul 20, 2011
Michigan
How has Grubauer been consistent? This year or last? He lost the starter job in the playoffs last year. Had a tough start with the Avs and some bad goals and games. Had some good games. Then gave up iffy goals in each of his last three games which were losses. The kind of goals Varly would be blasted for.

Saying Varly doesn't give his team a chance in 25% of the games is a massive exaggeration. If he was that bad he wouldn't even be in the NHL let alone a starter.

My sources tell me Varly will be extended, and Gruub was brought in to be the backup anyways.

Reactions: Waingro

Foppa2118

Oct 3, 2003
What you're looking for doesn't exist this season. These are the top preforming goalies in the league this season and none of them are any different than Varlamov.

Varlamov: 5 games with 4+ goals and 7 sub.890% games.

Halak : 5 games with 4+ goals and 7 sub.890% games.
Gibson: 5 games with 4+ goals and 7 sub.890% games.
Vasilevskiy: 4 games with 4+ goals and 5 sub.890% games.
Rinne: 2 games with 4+ goals and 8 sub.890% games.
Bishop: 3 games with 4+ goals and 8 sub.890% games.
Andersen: 6 games with 4+ goals and 5 sub.890% games.
Rittich: 2 games with 4+ goals and 6 sub.890% games.

Thank you for pointing this out. There is a constant double standard when it comes to the consistency of Varly vs his backups or other starters. Every year the Varly haters say he should be traded because the backup is more consistent. They said it about Jiggy, Pickard, Bernier, and now Grubauer until they were given a starters workload and proved to be even more inconsistent.

Three of the best goalies in the world Hart, Quick, and Lundqvist have all had struggling seasons. People have this misconception that goalies are supposed to be great for 82 games every season. It's a very difficult position to play, especially when you've had the kind of awful defensive cores Varly has had in Colorado. Even with good defensive cores, the goalie is going to be off his game for certain stretches within a season.

Varly played great in the first half of the season. He stumbled a bit for 4-5 games recently but it wasn't just on him, the team was terrible defensively. He came back and had a real good game against Chicago. If he stumbles more down the stretch, he deserves heat for it and probably shouldn't be brought back when you factor in the injury risk.

If he plays well down the stretch though, he will have put in a very similar season to last year, and will have been just as consistent as most goaltender's seasons the last couple years.

Reactions: CobraAcesS

Foppa2118

Oct 3, 2003
My sources tell me Varly will be extended, and Gruub was brought in to be the backup anyways.

That's the plan that makes the most sense anyway. You pay a little extra for a really good backup who can step in and be a temp #1 if Varly's injury problems resurface. You keep Varly because he's been the best goalie they've had in 16 years.

Francouz looks promising to me, but it's a massive gamble to go with two guys in him and Grubauer who have never been NHL starters, just when you've built your team to start competing for the Cup .

Grubauer needed to put in a really good year, and take advantage of any chance he got to play multiple games in a row, in order for him to alleviate those risk concerns. Already I have enough concerns with a plan of him and Francouz after his Gru's start, and his last three games. It's just not enough IMO.

Reactions: CobraAcesS

CobraAcesS

De Opresso Liber
Sponsor
Jul 20, 2011
Michigan
That's the plan that makes the most sense anyway. You pay a little extra for a really good backup who can step in and be a temp #1 if Varly's injury problems resurface. You keep Varly because he's been the best goalie they've had in 16 years.

Francouz looks promising to me, but it's a massive gamble to go with two guys in him and Grubauer who have never been NHL starters, just when you've built your team to start competing for the Cup .

Grubauer needed to put in a really good year, and take advantage of any chance he got to play multiple games in a row, in order for him to alleviate those risk concerns. Already I have enough concerns with a plan of him and Francouz after his Gru's start, and his last three games. It's just not enough IMO.

I hope you know what that reference was from lol.

I do agree with most of that. Grubs and Frank going into next year definitely has risk involved. I will say that I've always been ok with extending Varly but it is highly dependent on this season as a whole picture, and what he wants in terms of contract. I don't think I'd commit long term regardless or anything over his current deal. I can't imagine the Avs would risk signing him long term either. Which might take them out of the running if he goes to market and finds a team willing to give him a 4 or 5 year deal.

Foppa2118

Oct 3, 2003
I hope you know what that reference was from lol.

I will say that I've always been ok with extending Varly but it is highly dependent on this season as a whole picture, and what he wants in terms of contract. I don't think I'd commit long term regardless or anything over his current deal. I can't imagine the Avs would risk signing him long term either. Which might take them out of the running if he goes to market and finds a team willing to give him a 4 or 5 year deal.

No, I haven't read a lot of posts around here lately. Been trying to catch up on games.

I wouldn't want to commit long term either, but I think both sides might be open to a 2-3 year deal. Just speculation on my part. I just think Varly likes a comfort level with the teams he plays for and would really want to stay with the Avs to be part of this potential Cup run.

CobraAcesS

De Opresso Liber
Sponsor
Jul 20, 2011
Michigan
No, I haven't read a lot of posts around here lately. Been trying to catch up on games.

I wouldn't want to commit long term either, but I think both sides might be open to a 2-3 year deal. Just speculation on my part. I just think Varly likes a comfort level with the teams he plays for and would really want to stay with the Avs to be part of this potential Cup run.

We have an insider here who talks regularly to Nates cousin, and he filled us in lol.

I can definitely see it, but he needs to also make it worth while to take the risk even on a two year deal. They are certainly showing their loyalty to him though. Which is something they've always done for him. Especially through his court case, and I think as you said those things matter.

If he earns it he can stay IMO.

Reactions: Waingro

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad