Whats the deal with these youngsters

Status
Not open for further replies.

oliver

Feb 23, 2003
Toronto
Visit site
I was wondering how any of you feel these young guys have performed so far and if you think they will be the real deal or a bust:

Jamie Lundmark
Chuck Kobasew
Steve Ott
Radim Vrbata
Nick Shultz
Mike Cammalleri
Vaclav Nedorost
Jason Bacashihua
Carlo Colaiacovo
Ron Hainsey
Branislav Mezei

Feel free to answer about which ever ones u know about or all... thanks

HuskyFlames

Jan 12, 2004
Jamie Lundmark - Not much shown
Chuck Kobasew - Not much shown (Flames fan here)
Steve Ott - Not great
Radim Vrbata - Average
Nick Shultz - Nothing known
Mike Cammalleri - AMAZING! The guy was stellar when called up.
Vaclav Nedorost - Meh, bust.
Jason Bacashihua - Not sure
Carlo Colaiacovo - Will be decent when older
Ron Hainsey - Don't know
Branislav Mezei - Has shown promise.

leafaholix*

Carlo Colaiacovo - Read deal. He's been super in the AHL. Still 20 years old.

DaveyCrockett

Dec 8, 2003
Toronto
Visit site
Its kind of unfair to judge Lundmark based on this season considering he has missed a lot of time due to a knee injury. Coco has been excellent, he is showing lost of progess.

Ajacied

Stay strong Appie! ❤
Apr 6, 2002
Netherlands
Patrick - Flames said:
Steve Ott - Not great

Speak for yourself..

Ott has played a shutdown role for the Stars so far, and has succeeded with ease. He's been very energetic, killing penalties, backchecking, forechecking, leading the team in fighting majors, getting under the opponents' skin. Hell, he's been our best player for a certain stretch and has problably been one of our most consistant players all season. And at 22, he's already showcasing some rare leadership intangibles.

With the talent in front of him, Ott has to wait before getting a ticket to the 3rd, or even 2nd line. Untill then, don't expect him to score much, and so don't judge him on his stats either.

Bandwagoner

Nov 18, 2003
Canada
Visit site
Modano = God said:
Speak for yourself..

Ott has played a shutdown role for the Stars so far, and has succeeded with ease. He's been very energetic, killing penalties, backchecking, forechecking, leading the team in fighting majors, getting under the opponents' skin. Hell, he's been our best player for a certain stretch and has problably been one of our most consistant players all season. And at 22, he's already showcasing some rare leadership intangibles.

With the talent in front of him, Ott has to wait before getting a ticket to the 3rd, or even 2nd line. Untill then, don't expect him to score much, and so don't judge him on his stats either.

Very good call. If you clearly look at the type of game Ott is trying to offer, and the type of game he plays, they are pretty darn close. He was Dallas' best player tonight in the first period, but unfortunately he got booted for charging. Unfortunately, things like that are going to happen, because that's the type of game he plays. He's one of those "you love playing with him, but hate playing against him" kind of players. Plus I have heard a story that he told Lindros to give his Olympic gold medal to Joe Thornton... if that's true, that's so f-ing funny.

Ajacied

Stay strong Appie! ❤
Apr 6, 2002
Netherlands
Bandwagoner said:
Very good call. If you clearly look at the type of game Ott is trying to offer, and the type of game he plays, they are pretty darn close. He was Dallas' best player tonight in the first period, but unfortunately he got booted for charging. Unfortunately, things like that are going to happen, because that's the type of game he plays. He's one of those "you love playing with him, but hate playing against him" kind of players. Plus I have heard a story that he told Lindros to give his Olympic gold medal to Joe Thornton... if that's true, that's so f-ing funny.

Yup, Ott is crazy though, in the OHL on his way preparing himself for the Big league, Ott learned on how to piss his opponents off in their own language. He learned how to offend someone in Finnish, Swedish, Russian, German, you name it.

Then there was his altercation with Laraque during last years playoffs, which was also pretty darn funny..

thestonedkoala

Schultz has been one of the bright points for the Wild's less then stellar blueline this year.

looooob

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
Patrick - Flames said:
Chuck Kobasew - Not much shown (Flames fan here)
agree...to a point

he's not lighting it up yet, but he's playing regularly something not everyone from the 01 draft class is doing. He's winning Sutter over right now with his feisty play and I think he will get his chances. he lost his spot on the top 2 lines earlier in the year and right now Iginla and surprising Shean Donovan aren't going to surrender those, so he's playing on the 4th line...he's been making some nice plays, but setting Oliwa up in the slot isn't really going to show up on the scoresheet.

if he was in the AHL he'd be lighting it up and everyone would be thinking he's fine..but it's tougher in the NHL obviously

Hitman*

Modano = God said:

I agree. Ott is quickly becoming one of my favorite players. He'll definitely be a guy you hate to play against in the future (he almost is already).

oliver

Feb 23, 2003
Toronto
Visit site
Hitman said:
I agree. Ott is quickly becoming one of my favorite players. He'll definitely be a guy you hate to play against in the future (he almost is already).

Is it fair to say he's looking like or will be similar to Dracy Tucker?? or does another player fit better?

Marc the Habs Fan

Nov 30, 2002
Longueuil
Ron Hainsey has been pretty good for Hamilton since being sent down with 14 points in 25 games. He's a +13 which is good(last year on a loaded dogs team he was -2) and is by far the Dogs most talented d-man and usually their best. Some would argue that he should be in the NHL right now, but more time in the AHL can't hurt him IMO. Since he's eligible for waivers next fall, expect him to be in the NHL most likely with Montreal but there's a definite chance he could be dealt with Markov/Souray on the LD. Hainsey's main problems are maturity, he's not really a hard worker and a bit of a cocky attitude. But he has all the tools to not only be a NHL d-man but a damn fine one.

Hitman*

oliver said:
Is it fair to say he's looking like or will be similar to Dracy Tucker?? or does another player fit better?

I think that would be a good comparison. They play a similar game but Ott isn't as, well, nutty as Tucker is.

Frolov 6'3

Unregistered User
Jun 7, 2003
The Netherlands
oliver said:
I was wondering how any of you feel these young guys have performed so far and if you think they will be the real deal or a bust:

Mike Cammalleri

Mike Cammalleri is great and he will succeed in the NHL. After his second call-up he scored 8 goals in 11 games but after the Straka trade he got less (PP) icetime and he was demoted to the 3th and 4th lines. Suddenly he couldn't find the back of the net anymore and they thought it would be better for him to go back to Manchester. It's perhaps strange with so many injuries but the toplines are set with Stumpel, Robitaille, Frolov, Straka (Barney at the moment), Armstrong and Klatt and to let him play on either the energy or checking line is useless. In his first year he's been getting knocked off the puck easier than a pee-wee tripping over the blueline but that's much better now. Cammalleri will compensate his lack of size with his other tools, no doubts.

Bandwagoner said:
Plus I have heard a story that he told Lindros to give his Olympic gold medal to Joe Thornton... if that's true, that's so f-ing funny.

I thought it was Sean Avery who said that.

Dr GLU

Mar 1, 2002
Northern Hemisphere
I'd say Bacashihua is way behind where he should be, but since goaltenders can sometimes take longer to develop than any other players, I'm loathe to call him a bust yet.

Put it this wya, Bacashihua is probably the most talented goalie in the Stars system, but he can't cement a starting job for himself in the AHL ahead of Mike Smith. Smith isn't as talented as Bacashihua, but he's been able to play at or above the same level Bacashihua has most of the time. And now, Dan Ellis is poised to possibly pass them both.

If's he's going to amount to anything, Bacashihua needs to gain consistency. In the pros, he's been notorious for having a few good games, and then, laying a major egg by giving up 5+. A part of this inconsistency is technique problems and another is motivational.

Basically, Bacashihua will either improve and be great, or he will languish in the minors because he cna't ever get over his inconsistency.

Foppa

Future Norris Winner
Feb 27, 2002
Kansas City, USA
Vrbata is still going to be a star imo...the entire 'Canes team has been snake-bitten this year. He may not become the next Hejduk but he's easily got the goods and ability to score 25-35 goals in his prime and be solid in all areas like Milan.

Just my $0.02. I think Avs fans feel more strongly about his potential than they do about any of the other young players they have traded away recently, and for good reason.

Vagrant

The Czech Condor
Feb 27, 2002
North Carolina
Visit site
Foppa said:
Vrbata is still going to be a star imo...the entire 'Canes team has been snake-bitten this year. He may not become the next Hejduk but he's easily got the goods and ability to score 25-35 goals in his prime and be solid in all areas like Milan.

Just my $0.02. I think Avs fans feel more strongly about his potential than they do about any of the other young players they have traded away recently, and for good reason.

Radim Vrbata has struggled to find his game all year and it probably has something to do with the coaching switch. He's already in Laviolette's "doghouse" if you will, but not to a significant irreproachable sense. He has at times this year looked like the player we thought he could be, the hat trick game in particular, but he has struggled to put goals in during the past month and a half or so. He sits with 8 goals on the year and if he catches fire, he could possibly get up to 15-20, but i'm thinking he'll end up with about 11 or 12 goals to round his year out. Maybe not great, but i'd hardly call it a career killer. Next year will be a breakout year for him.

Radim has the best wrister on the team and that includes Jeff O'Neill, Josef Vasicek, Eric Staal, Erik Cole, Ron Francis, Pavel Brendl, and Rod Brind'Amour. Easily the best wrister. He caught so much post at the start of the season that I wondered if he was aiming for them though. It was ridiculous. He could easily be the team leader in goals had it not been for that rough patch where he was so snakebitten early. I still think he's going to come out of the gate strong next season and do well.

pb1300

#CatsAreComing
Mar 6, 2002
Αιγιο-ΕΛΛΑΔΑ
I dont see Nederost being a bust at all. He was stuck behind superstars in Colorado, and he had shoulder surgery that killed any chance of him making the team this season. Nederost has a lot of talent and I think he will be a solid contributor to the Panthers in the future.

Fantasywonder

Sep 30, 2003
Boston, MA, USA
Visit site
oliver said:

I think he will be very simular to Darcy, only Ott is supurb in the remaining parts that Darcy lacks. Ott is very great defensively, he can shut down opposing forwards on his own special way, Ott is also future Captain material, something I wouldn't label Tucker and last but not least, Ott is bigger (6'1 -190 vs 5'10 - 170).

I've seen Ott play with Windsor for quite some time and there were 2 reasons why he went late in the first round. First one was because scouts were of the opinion he was leaning of Jason Spezza. He sure proved them wrong though, as the folowing year Spezza left for the AHL, while Ott posted career high in points without him. The second reason was because Ott was too small to play like he does. And as mentioned before, Ott went from 5'11 and 175 to 6'1 and 190 since being drafted. The Stars are lucky to have him and Morrow in the same organisation.

Another difference is the difference in "crazyness". Tucker does things without thinking, and he gets himself and moreso his team in trouble constantly because of it. He hasn't imporved that part at all, he's still the same pest like he was during his rookie season, only with better offensive stats. Ott knows when he can go all out and when not and when you can control that part, it's a huge plus. He still makes boneheaded penalties every once and a while though, but that will fade away with more seasoning. He's still 22, can't expect him to play perfect right away.

But so yeah, he and Darcy as much alike. Only Ott is more well-rounded and knows few to no flaws. His offensive potential is about the same too, consistant 20/25 goal scorer with around 30 assists a season. Not first line numbers by any means, but I think his overall package could definitely make him as valueble as one.

I still have his first ever NHL shift right here on my computer. He jumped off the bench, raced as hard as he could towards the player with the puck, and literly flew through the boards while just missing the player for the succesful check. Amazing player.. why players like Tootoo and such get more hype goes beyond me. Ott is a better player in every facet.

CoolburnIsGone

pb1300 said:
I dont see Nederost being a bust at all. He was stuck behind superstars in Colorado, and he had shoulder surgery that killed any chance of him making the team this season. Nederost has a lot of talent and I think he will be a solid contributor to the Panthers in the future.
I think most people don't realize he had surgery on both shoulders right after being traded to FL. He came back and played only a few games in the AHL and then quickly got a callup. In his first game (if I remember correctly) for FL, he scored a goal. He struggled after that and it was evident that he needed more time in the A. Since being sent down he's played extremely well. In January, he's had 5 goals (2 of which were on the PP) and 1 assist in 6 games...and his shoulder was slightly injured for a few games. He's got an excellent chance to be apart of the FL future...which is looking a lot better in recent weeks.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad