Prospect Info: What's the deal with Aaron Luchuk?

TkachukNorris79

Jan 27, 2018
It's because he turns 21 in 2 days and is an over-ager. I still think he is a very solid prospect, but wouldn't put him ahead of Brown, Batherson, or Formenton.

He does have chemistry with Brown, and if we get lucky enough, Svechnikov. Definitely a great signing.

Burrowsaurus

Mar 20, 2013
The only time I totally dismiss these sorts of signings is if they have serious skating issues. He doesn’t seem to. I think he can be a decent player at the next level.

toxic poster

Dec 24, 2017
Queen's
Undersized ohler who didn't start scoring until after his draft year. I think that's more due to him being buried in the behind top guys but he still wasnt impressive until his 19 year old season really

Stylizer1

SENSimillanaire
Jun 12, 2009
Ottabot City
Undersized ohler who didn't start scoring until after his draft year. I think that's more due to him being buried in the behind top guys but he still wasnt impressive until his 19 year old season really
Explains the surge in points. Hopefully he is finding his true potential now and keeps improving.

Yashin

Jan 1, 2011
Fort McMurray
I took a look at some previous OHL seasons to compare Luchuk to other 20 year olds.

2017-18 Aaron Luchuk, 115 points
2015-16 Kevin Leblanc, 127 points, NHL: 129 games, 59 points
2014-15 Joseph Blandisi, 112 points, NHL: 71 games, 26 points
2013-14 Dane Fox, 107 points, NHL: N/A
2012-13 Charles Sarault, 108 points, NHL: N/A

Maybe we get lucky and he can follow the path of Leblanc.

FolignoQuantumLeap

Don't Hold The Door
Mar 16, 2009
Ottawa
The only time I totally dismiss these sorts of signings is if they have serious skating issues. He doesn’t seem to. I think he can be a decent player at the next level.
His skating is definitely not a strength. Pretty average to below average skater these days. I don't expect him to amount to much until he can get quicker.

Reactions: jehkob

Burrowsaurus

Mar 20, 2013
His skating is definitely not a strength. Pretty average to below average skater these days. I don't expect him to amount to much until he can get quicker.
Really? I watch him out there and he doesn’t look terrible. He gets around.

We improved stones skating we can improve anyone’s. I should clarify my expectations are not high. But I mean seeing this guy in the nhl in the next few years isn’t crazy.

Nac Mac Feegle

wee & free
Jun 10, 2011
I know nothing about the kid, but I like those point totals this year (even if its an overage year). If he tops out as a good AHLer, that's still a big plus for the organization.

Reactions: topshelf15

aragorn

Do The Right Thing
Aug 8, 2004
It will be interesting to see how he does in Belleville next season, hopefully he turns into a player. Hopefully, Perron can turn it up next season too or his stay here could be over before it begins.

Cosmix

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 24, 2011
Ottawa
It appears that Nick Paul’s time as a Senator prospect is coming to an end soon. He is following the trend set by Greening and Robinson.

CR15

Feb 15, 2010
Windsor
I don’t think it is out of line to one day see him willingly himself with a lot of hard work into a 3rd like checking role/penalty killer that could chip in offensively every now and then. Solid work ethic and 2 way game that will be respected at the next level.

As FQL said skating will ultimately be the big factor as far as ever getting to and sticking in the NHL.

Great freebie signing regardless!

Joeyjoejoe

Dec 18, 2015
It's a win if he can be a top 6 contributing AHL player for Belleville for years to come. Anything on top of that is just gravy.

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010

Full disclosure, I really haven't watched enough of him to form an opinion one way or another, but the very limited reports that I've found (one from a canucks dev camp article, and one referencing a hockey prospects writeup in his first year of draft eligibility suggested his skating was an asset, though certainly no indication that it was elite.

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013
At the very least he will help Belleville. Can he come in and steal a spot from say Chlapik .. I think he could. I am glad the Sens signed him.

Burrowsaurus

Mar 20, 2013
Full disclosure, I really haven't watched enough of him to form an opinion one way or another, but the very limited reports that I've found (one from a canucks dev camp article, and one referencing a hockey prospects writeup in his first year of draft eligibility suggested his skating was an asset, though certainly no indication that it was elite.
there was a little 10 & 2 action around the net in that last highlight pack. he doesn't seem like a poor skater at all

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad