What's the deal with 1992-93?

vivianmb

Jan 10, 2007
winnipeg
www.whocares.ca
Pretty silly comments IMO.

You are comparing a top-20 players of all time (Yzerman) against a somophore who played great for two season... Just FYI Lindros in his first two season had a similar or higher PPG than Crosby and never acheive to beat Yzerman.

When Crosby will finish his career over 1755 come see me, but I really doubt it.

I really doubt that Crosby will ever win a Selke Trophy, 10 times All Star is plausible thought. Then again, I don't think that Crosby will win 3 Stanley Cup during his career, its possible but with the cap space these days and the horrible D corp... Dunno.

I really like Crosby but he is OVERRATED by some people like you, to said that Stevie Y is nowhere near Crosby in terms of point, dumb enough to me.

and more importantly ... when "sid the kid" becomes HALF the leader that yzerman was then we'll talk.

MoreOrr

B4
Jun 20, 2006
Mexico
Still don't understand why the Devils get bashed for it..

I think that it's because, for more than a decade previous, the NHL developed a new generation of hockey fans who were weaned on offensive domination in hockey. And then, through the evolving of the game, to counteract that lengthy period of offensive domination, tight defensive strategies came into play. For those fans from the mid-80s and early 90s, this new game strategy, for which the Devils became "infamous" just went contrary to their idea of hockey.

Anyway, that's my take on the Devil hatred.

Last edited:

BruiseBros

Apr 11, 2007
Penalty Box
Whats that mean? Hes the youngest captain in nhl history.

Wrong!!! :shakehead This was just in the most recent edition of the Hockey News. Brian Bellows was 4 or 5 months younger than Crosby is when he was named 'interim' captain of the North Stars. Yes, it's just interim, but it still counts.

jiggs 10

Dec 5, 2002
Hockeytown, ND
Visit site
I think he's aware of Lemieux/Roy, which is why he said 1965 in the first place.

Yzerman, Lafontaine, Modano... have they won a hart or been the best player or top scorer in the league? Forget it!

Ovechkin, more accomplished? I think not.

Brodeur and Lidstrom currently both have enough accolades to trump the Hart that they don't have that Crosby has. But remember that he said "best hockey player" - which he is. He hasn't been around long enough to have their accomplishments.

Tavares will probably be better. Just not yet.

Let's see....Yzerman won the Pearson (best player as voted by the players), a Conn Smythe, was the youngest player EVER to play in a mid-season All-Star game (until Sid this year!), 3 Stanley Cups....I'd say he's more accomplished than Crosby.

Ovechkin has at least scored 50 goals in a season, something the great Sidney hasn't.

Lidstrom's 5 Norris Trophies beats out Sid's 1 Ross to me. He was voted the best defenseman again this past season, so he must certainly be one of the very best NHL players (since defense is harder to play than forward), right?

Tavares broke Crosby's records at the junior level. He will probably do the same at the next level, but who knows? He could flame out. But that is precisely my arguement about Crosby.

Anyway, about 92-93...I think it was all the great hairdos on guys like Gilmour, Yzerman, LaFontaine, Jagr, etc...

:D

jiggs 10

Dec 5, 2002
Hockeytown, ND
Visit site
You are crazy. For one i said after 1965 so lemieux doesnt count.Yzerman, Lafontaine, Modano, Ovechkin, Lidstrom, Brodeur are no where near crosby in terms of points in there career and Tavares is 16.

Uh...Mario was born in October 1965, so he's close enough. I don't think 3 months is a big difference!

Yzerman and Lidstrom are much more accomplished than Crosby at this time. In the future, we'll see.

FissionFire

Dec 22, 2006
Las Vegas, NV
www.redwingscentral.com
Lidstrom will probably go down as one of the 10 best defenseman ever.

Yzerman might be the best captain in history. He also played at the same time as two of the top 3 forwards to EVER play the game in Gretzky and Lemieux, making it pretty tough to win any trophies.

Crosby is 20 coming off two great seasons and won a Hart trophy, but none of his top competition would be considered anywhere close to a Gretzky or Lemieux or maybe even an Yzerman (sans Sakic). He could wind up with every scoring record in the NHL, but if he has just as many Cups as Dionne I'd never consider him better than Yzerman.

Slapshooter

Apr 25, 2007
Agreed. Mullets = More points.....

Bring back the Mullet!! :yo:

Mullet is not called a hockey-hair without a reason. I think Mr. Bettman should get a mullet too. Then he would suddenly realize how great the game of hockey once was. More scoring, more fightng and more mullets!

mpm26

Aug 25, 2007
Pittsburgh
Let's see....Yzerman won the Pearson (best player as voted by the players), a Conn Smythe, was the youngest player EVER to play in a mid-season All-Star game (until Sid this year!), 3 Stanley Cups....I'd say he's more accomplished than Crosby.

Ovechkin has at least scored 50 goals in a season, something the great Sidney hasn't.

Lidstrom's 5 Norris Trophies beats out Sid's 1 Ross to me. He was voted the best defenseman again this past season, so he must certainly be one of the very best NHL players (since defense is harder to play than forward), right?

Tavares broke Crosby's records at the junior level. He will probably do the same at the next level, but who knows? He could flame out. But that is precisely my arguement about Crosby.

Anyway, about 92-93...I think it was all the great hairdos on guys like Gilmour, Yzerman, LaFontaine, Jagr, etc...

Crosby has a Pearson already and a hart and a ross something yzerman and AO havent. People forget it took yzerman well over ten years to get a cup ,so once again i was comparing the first two years of the careers of these players. No one stacks up. Yzerman didnt have two 100 point seasons like crosby neither did AO. Jt hasnt played one game in the nhl yet do its really hard to compare

Why is it so hard for some people to say crosby is the best in the game.

MXD

Original #4
Oct 27, 2005

Using your logic, Blaine Stoughton can safely beconsidered a better player than Sidney Crosby, right?

Hell... Gilbert Dionne averaged a better GPG ratio than Sidney Crosby (never he did this in less than 40 games), and have accomplished more?

And... Tavares never played in the same junior league than Sid's. I highly doubt he has beaten his records.

Scandale du Jour

JordanStaal#1Fan
Mar 11, 2002
Asbestos, Qc
www.angelfire.com

Tavares scored 70 goals, fine, but Crosby had already won 2 scoring titles and 2 CHL MVP after his second season.

LogiquePaR4dOcKs

Mar 29, 2007
Helsinki, FIN
Most points by a 16 year old in the OHL. Or maybe if was as a 15 year old, go look it up in the Hockey News. They reported it last year.

Crosby didn't play in the OHL and the record for 16-year-olds is held by Gretzky. I'm quite sure Tavares does have the record for most goals by an underager in the CHL(maybe points too but I don't think so), but Sid wasn't granted the exceptional player status and thus wasn't in the CHL at 15 years old, so no SC record broken there.

As a 16-year-old in his first season of major junior hockey, Crosby scored one more point than Tavares in eight less games in a league(QMJHL, FYI) whose goals-per-game average was nearly one goal lower than that of the OHL last season.

seventieslord

Student Of The Game
Mar 16, 2006
Regina, SK

The Hart is far more prestigious than the Pearson. The Pearson only becomes more important when people need to use it to further an online argument.

So what if Ovechkin has scored 50 in a season? Has he won the Hart?

There's no arguing Lidstrom's Norrises.

If Crosby retired right now, he would be forgotten in 20 years. Obviously he has to play longer and earn a legacy. It's more than fair to project all-time greatness for him based on what he did in the NHL before his 20th birthday. He will be considered a better all-time player than all those guys. No one is claiming he is right now.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->