What's the deal with 1992-93?

Mogo

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 26, 2002
yea this year always amazed me, it was also my favorite year and when I really started becoming a fan,, maybe if they kept the NHL going at this pace it could really have boomed because I know hockey was really getting big at this time,,, also how the **** did Sellane get 76 goals

Mogilny had 76 goals in 77 games. Selänne played more games to get 76

Butch 19

Go cart Mozart
May 12, 2006
Geographical Oddity
Fourteen players scored 50 or more goals that year too. :D

Mogilny - 76 (Euro)
Selanne - 76 (Euro)
Lemieux - 69 (Jagr)
Robitaille - 63 (Kurri, Sandstrom)
Bure - 60 (Euro)
Turgeon - 58
Yzerman - 58 (Federov, Larionov, Lidstrom)
Stevens - 55 (Jagr)
Hull - 54 (off-year)
Andreychuk - 54
LaFontaine - 53 (Mogilny)
Recchi - 53 (Jagr)
Shanahan - 51
Roenick - 50

I blame Europeans!

What do you mean "blame?" Having many 50-goal scorers is great for hockey, period. No matter what you give the credit (blame?) to.

Imagine if the refs back then were calling the game tight like they are now.

I'd like to see more scoring than there is right now. IMO, goalie gear should be further reduced in size. Do not EVER increase the size of the goal.

potvins4cups

Aug 23, 2007
92-93 was a great year. besides watching the islanders win 4 straight cups i would say 92-93 year was the most fun and exciting time i had watching hockey. nothing since then has come close. is it not a coincidence that bettman officially took over as commissioner a year later in 93-94 and the game has never been the same?

Boom Boom Bear

May 23, 2007
Coast Salish lands
92-93 was a great year. besides watching the islanders win 4 straight cups i would say 92-93 year was the most fun and exciting time i had watching hockey. nothing since then has come close. is it not a coincidence that bettman officially took over as commissioner a year later in 93-94 and the game has never been the same?

Yes, it was an exciting and memorable year, fans were going nuts all over the place as players were racking up these insane points totals. Everybody was buzzing about Lemieux, LaFontaine/Mogilny, Selanne, Oates, Turgeon... and Gretzky made his triumphant return from an injury to lead the Kings to the finals against Patrick Roy and the Canadiens. One heck of a year to be a hockey fan.

tony d

Jun 23, 2007
Behind A Tree
That season was a really great season, I think that the expansion teams had a lot to do with the boom in scoring that season.

Jun 15, 2007
I've always been curious about this but never really discussed it much.

What's the deal with the 1992-93 season and its ridiculous offensive totals for star players? I know Lemieux only topped out at 160, which was low for a league leader in the past decade, but besides that, it seems every star player had a career season. I mean, Lafontaine with 148? Oates with 142? Gilmour and Turgeon with 127+? Selanne and Mogilny at a goal per game? These players, and many others, never approached the numbers they posted in 1992-93 again.

In 15 years people will be asking the same question about why Crosby's 2006-07 scoring totals were so high and how a promising sophomore year led to decades of mediocrity.

potvins4cups

Aug 23, 2007
That season was a really great season, I think that the expansion teams had a lot to do with the boom in scoring that season.

Well in 93-94 florida and anaheim entered the league and scoring was down by alot from the previous 92-93 so i dont know if that excuse is valid. i think it has more to do with teams like florida, anaheim and tampa were allowed to implement the trap and at the same time the devils, sabres, went on board with the trap. as commissioner bettman allowed it to happen just so his sun belt teams would be able to compete. his job as commissioner should have been to preserve the beauty of the game and get on the refs to call the exorbitant amount of obstruction that was being utilized. he decided not to do anything about it and it has gotten worse ever since.

MXD

Original #4
Oct 27, 2005
Pretty bold statement, but not neccesarily true. Many players more accomplished than Crosby were born after or during 1965 (Yzerman, Lafontaine, Modano, Ovechkin, Lidstrom, Brodeur, Jon Tavares, Mario Lemieux, etc.).

At least, take out AO and Tavares from this list... You can also safely take out Mike Modano, too.

jiggs 10

Dec 5, 2002
Hockeytown, ND
Visit site
Tavares is more accomplished than Crosby was at the same age, and AO is argueably the best player in the NHL right now.

Mike Modano has done more in his NHL career than Crosby, too. It just took him a few more years to do so. :D

habitue*

Just to remind you that the Montreal Canadiens won the Cup during the 92-93 season.

MXD

Original #4
Oct 27, 2005
Tavares is more accomplished than Crosby was at the same age, and AO is argueably the best player in the NHL right now.

Mike Modano has done more in his NHL career than Crosby, too. It just took him a few more years to do so. :D

If we must consider your 2nd statement... let me add the following one.
...Crosby did more than AO in the same number of season.

Thus demolishing half of your 1st statement.

MXD

Original #4
Oct 27, 2005
Posted this in the NHL "main" board -- reposting it here. Kindof an extension of a post I made earlier.

The most amazing thing is this season wasn't mentionned yet : The Adams division had 3 teams over 100 pts. Nowadays, 100 pts isn't much, thanks to the SOL/OTL, but because of the straight 5 min. OT's, a win was tougher to obtain in this. I don't have NORMALIZED STATS about this season, but the Bruins (the best team of the division that was kicked out in 4, thanks to Mogilny/Lafontaine and Brad May, so that was somewhat revealing of the talent level of this division...), the Nords and the Habs, if we normalize their points, would probably fall in the 110+.

(in fact, I will take care of the normalization myself, using only the 2006-2007 season as the "normal", and sorry if I sound so weak in maths...)

NHL teams averaged 1.114 pts/game last year, and the teams averaged 91.36667. Such averages were 1 and 84 in '93. Rounding down, the Bruins would have 121 pts, the Nords 116 and the Habs, 114.

There were 84 games in '93, so you can safely take away 3 points to those three teams, and still have the following conclusion : Three teams, in the same division, had more (normalized) points than the Cup-Winning Anaheim Ducks of this year (which is funny considering the '93 Habs are considered a VERY WEAK cup winning team, and no one would dare consider the '07 Ducks a weak Cup winner) and two teams(BOS and QUE) would be winning the President's Cup in 2007. Add to this the Buffalo Sabres, who were nothing but shoddy with Lafontaine/Mogilny/Hawerchuck (were they on the same line?!?!) and probably the 3rd best goaltending pair ever as far as names are concerned with Grant Fuhr/Dominik Hasek (sorry folks, they're still VERY FAR from Glenn Hall/Jacques Plante & Bernie Parent/Jacques Plante, for STL and TOR respectively), and you have an awesome division.

This said, the Sens contributed A LOT to those numbers, and Hartford Whalers contribution is far from negligible - 58 points, only 5 more than the Lightning, and the 3rd worst defensive ratio of the league (after San Jose and Ottawa) -- yes, they were WORSE than the Jablonski-led Lightning (picked in expansion, as GBC said... 45th best goalie of the league at that time, and that's at best, because we can safely assume Sidorkiewickz(or was it Billington?) was a better goaltender than Jablonski, and that conclusion is from someone who saw him being BRUTAL in Montreal), by roughly 0,45 goals per game. A bit odd, considering they had a respectable goaltender (Sean Burke), and there were surely worst defensive corps than the Whalers one, even though they had Zarley Zalapski anchoring it.

When considering what I said above, I don't think the '92-93 Adams division can be considered the strongest ever, but it's probably one of the most bipolar ever.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad