What's the consensus on Keith Gretzky?

Keith Gretzky was...

• Total voters

Cloned

Begging for Bega
Aug 25, 2003
Did he secretly curse Chia's moves behind his back, lamenting how stupid they were and how he now has to undo the damage?

Or was he part of the braintrust that recommended to Chia to make specific moves (like his rumoured involvement in the Spooner and Manning deals) which backfired horribly?

Last edited:

McDrai

Mar 29, 2009
Did he secretly curse Chia's moves behind his back, lamenting how stupid they were and how he now has to undo the damage?

Or was he part of the braintrust that recommended to Chia to make specific moves (like the rumoured Spooner and Manning deals) which backfired horribly?

Hot take: He went along with Chia's and the OBC's opinions knowing he would be next in line

Del Preston

Mar 8, 2013
Don't think we will know. The organization has been giving conflicting information about the Chiarelli era.

Didn't Stauffer say Chiarelli wasn't listening to others within the organization? And then there is Hitchcock saying KG helped negotiate the Manning and Petrovic trades. But then there is also Chiarelli admitting he had been after Manning for over a year (lol).

Cloned

Begging for Bega
Aug 25, 2003
Don't think we will know. The organization has been giving conflicting information about the Chiarelli era.

Didn't Stauffer say Chiarelli wasn't listening to others within the organization? And then there is Hitchcock saying KG helped negotiate the Manning and Petrovic trades. But then there is also Chiarelli admitting he had been after Manning for over a year (lol).

But what do you believe personally?

Aceboogie

Aug 25, 2012
-Suitable front office person
-Has not shown any acumen to be an NHL GM (bad drafting in Phoenix, horrible drafting in Boston, average here)
-He is not a complete idiot like Chiarelli, so undoing Chiarellis moves is not the work of a genius, its a average person seeing truely idiotic moves for what they are

Cloned

Begging for Bega
Aug 25, 2003
Too soon.
Most of his work is yet to be done.
Better to post this thread after the Trade Deadline.

What does your gut say?

(Besides that it's hungry and wants some hot dogs for lunch)

Del Preston

Mar 8, 2013
But what do you believe personally?
I'd like to think Keith only helped with those trades because his boss wanted the players. Two of those players already being taken off the roster would support that thought.

Reactions: Cloned

rboomercat90

Mar 24, 2013
Edmonton

There’s also Nicholson saying the organization had been talking about extending Koskinen since early December. Also reported that organization had been looking at Gagner for weeks, while Chiarelli was still here.

All kinds of talking out of both sides of their mouths by this organization since Chiarelli was fired. One side, “he had complete autonomy, did everything on his own it’s all his fault”. Other side “we’ve been having group conversations about these two guys for a long time”. Hard to know what to believe.

MettleMcOiler

5-14-6-1
Mar 9, 2011
Edmonton
Wasn't there a tweet saying that Gretzky wasn't really interested in the GM position. He rather keep doing what he was doing before? I really would like to keep him in the organization, the AHL team is a testament of his talent evaluation. I hope the next GM will keep him on his staff.

OilerFan4Life

Feb 27, 2004
Heartland of Hockey
Honestly, he meets all the checkmarks we're looking for in a GM here.

-Played for 80s team or related to player who played for 80s team.
-Terrible track record of drafting players.
-See #1.

LaGu

Jan 4, 2011
Italy
Is his draft record that bad?
Sounds odd to me, say what you will (and I know people here do) but hiring someone with a bad and horrible drafting record does not sound right no matter how much you despise the organisation doing the hiring...

Honest question. I mean it is always easy in hindsight to point out what he should have done but still. Did anyone put in the work to compare others vs Gretzky when it comes to drafting? I mean more than pointing out that 1 or 2 guys/teams were better.

I really don't mean to defend him, I honestly don't know and I didnot bother putting in the work so...

Aceboogie

Aug 25, 2012
Its not good: Comparing Keith Gretzky’s scouting work to that of the Edmonton Oilers

He has some hits in OEL, Pasta. But he has some big misses in Gormley, Vistenin, Tikonov, Ross. His only other "good" 1st round picks were average players in Turris, Boedker and Murphy

His second round picks in Arizona were atrocious. Then in rounds after, he was never able to find any NHlers outside of Stone. His drafting in Arizona was on par or worse than Oilers drafting

In Boston, he oversaw the horrific 2015 meltdown draft which saw them go off the board twice and pick duds, missing out on Barzal+ Chabot. Then the pick of Frederic in 2016 was both a signifincat reach AND the justification given after was eye opening into his mindset. Basically admitting, TF had little upside and was a future bottom 6 NHLer if everything worked out. Absolutely what you do not want to hear from your scout saying about a 1st round pick

TL;DR > his drafting in Arizona/Boston was almost the exact quality of drafts the Oilers have had since 2008.

Cloned

Begging for Bega
Aug 25, 2003
My gut says its too soon...too soon for hotdogs and evaluating KG's work as interim GM. :D

Not asking for an evaluation of his work as interim GM - asking for an opinion on what he was really like as the assistant GM.

guymez

The Seldom Seen Kid
Mar 3, 2004
Not asking for an evaluation of his work as interim GM - asking for an opinion on what he was really like as the assistant GM.

Really hard to know. What was he directly responsible for?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad