Advice: What's the best shootout/breakaway move in ball hockey?

Runeskor

Feb 23, 2014
Keep in mind that I'm looking for an almost guaranteed goal, not necessarily the nicest looking goal.

I play defense so usually when I'm on a breakaway or in a shootout, I just look for a spot and rip a wrister, but in ball hockey (especially street hockey), goalies have a really hard time sliding from one post to the other, so a deke is normally the best choice.

Sadly, I have yet to find one that works most of the time. Help me!

MarkusNaslund19

Dec 28, 2005
One of my favorites is to go backhand-forehand and then either go high blocker or slip it fivehole. In street hockey goalies need to shuffle more so the five-hole is often more open. If the goalie is watching his fivehole, you wire it over his shoulder.
The key is to dip your shoulder early so that the goalie is moving/guessing.

Travis093

Travis
May 5, 2012
Saskatoon
Im left handed.
I come in on middle of the rink, but slightly angled to the left of the net like im going to shoot. Once i get in close, i drop my shoulder, fake a shot, and take it to my bankhand. I delay the shot as long as i can before i score.

I've scored with almost 100% accuracy on this shot during breakaways and shootout. It works because the goalie is down, and there is no way he can sprawl out in time to make the save.

CBJx614

May 25, 2012
C-137
Im left handed.
I come in on middle of the rink, but slightly angled to the left of the net like im going to shoot. Once i get in close, i drop my shoulder, fake a shot, and take it to my bankhand. I delay the shot as long as i can before i score.

I've scored with almost 100% accuracy on this shot during breakaways and shootout. It works because the goalie is down, and there is no way he can sprawl out in time to make the save.

This is butter. This is my go to move. Fake the shot and go backhand, and if he doesnt go for the shot and tries to stuff your backhand, pull back to your forehand and its a tap in goal.

Just takes a few times to get it down.

Alexander the Gr8

May 2, 2013
Toronto
One of my favorites is to go backhand-forehand and then either go high blocker or slip it fivehole. In street hockey goalies need to shuffle more so the five-hole is often more open. If the goalie is watching his fivehole, you wire it over his shoulder.
The key is to dip your shoulder early so that the goalie is moving/guessing.

This, but since I'm right handed, I shoot high glove. When you fake the backhand, use your full reach to put the goalie down, which leaves the top right corner open if you shoot right, and the top left if you're lefty. I have nearly 100% accuracy on that move. The few times that I've missed, it was because I hit the bar or the right post.

Jarick

Doing Nothing
I don't think anything's guaranteed, but that forehand to backhand move has a high success rate in the NHL. Mikko Koivu's been really good over his career and does it 90% of the time.

I, for some reason, always screw that move up. I always get the goalie to drop, but I will either shoot it wide, hit the goalie, hit the post, anything but score. I literally haven't scored in about a dozen or more attempts with it. That's just me. I think I need to make the move earlier.

For me, I will skate in and handle the puck a bit, fake the shot, a little deke, then shoot five hole. It works fairly well because most goalies won't drop into full butterfly on the first faked shot, then they want to move to stop the backhand deke, then they freeze, and usually won't have time to drop and stop it five hole. Of course, I'm playing against adults who aren't as athletic and springy.

jcbeze

Dec 27, 2005
backhand. Most of the goalies in my leagues know that I am going to do it, but I still score. Get your stick as far away from your body as you can in order to snipe it top left around them

Garlando

May 5, 2014
Kingston, Ontario
I find Ball hockey breakaways to be a pretty easy goal in most instances as it's easy to get the goalie leaning the other way or get caught cheating. My advice is to keep your head up and read what the goalie is giving you. My go to move is to come in and look as though you're going to go across the net and open up the goalies pads and then fire it five hole. Its an effective move as there are other moves that are spawned off from going across the net. If you're fast enough you can simply beat the goalie across the net and fire it upstairs. If the goalie is quick and beats you across the net, you can pull the ball back and forsberg if you want. A lot of the time I find the goalie gets caught playing back when you're on a break with speed, so if you have your head up and spot an opening, dont hesitate to pick your spot and fire it on net. Hope that helps!

McNasty

Jan 20, 2007
Rutgers
A ball is so easy to snap upstairs with velocity just throw a quick backhand deke to freeze him and rip it upstairs.

Trap Jesus

Feb 13, 2012
I usually like opening the goalie up with a quick shoulder fake, and immediately rip it in fivehole.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad