Post-Game Talk: What's Really Wrong With the Leafs

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jozay

Jul 9, 2012
Toronto
I'm tired of hearing people call for a coaching change. The coach is clearly not the issue, it's all on the players and the GM.

It's not the coaches job to motivate the players, design a system that gets the most out of them, adapt their game and play style to meet challenges, juggle needs and manage personalities. These spoiled players make a lot more money than me, they should do all this themselves.

If anything, Babcock is too soft on these snowflake kids. You aren't supposed to enjoy your job, or like coming to work every day. You should know at all times that if you screw up you will get yelled at, berated, humiliated and benched. This is how my dad treated me and I turned out just fine. If your kid isn't crying, you aren't really parenting. That's how you motivate people, make them hate you and themselves.

And that brings me to the real problem, the GM. I knew as soon as they hired someone younger and more successful than me that I would despise him, and sure enough. Name one team that has ever won the cup on speed and skill. You don't score goals with puck possession, you scored them by skating around hitting people. Guys like Pastrnak and Kucherov are amateurs and easily rattled by goons who can barely skate throwing their bodies around. Believe me, I've played bi-weekly beer league hockey for most of my life, so I know exactly what playing in the NHL is like.

Bring back Brian Burke and get a bunch of Colton Orrs, get rid of these kids that just skate around scoring goals. Anything short of a full roster of 240 pound stay at home defensemen has no chance of winning a cup, that's a proven fact. Again, I don't want to keep bringing up my father, but whenever he suspected me of being a pansy goal scorer, I would have to sleep out in the shed with my cold, wet gear on. That's the kind of tough guy team we need. If it worked in the 70's there's no reason it shouldn't work now.
Pretty sure thats exactly the coaches job.

edit: yeah, took me a second to realize this is sarcasm lmao. You just never know on this board.

Pocket Hercules

Business in the front, party in the back.
Jun 19, 2008
York Region
Those types of hard nosed players, who can play in the top lines, don’t come cheap. What trade?

Josh Anderson was briefly on the block last year IIRC. That would of been a great buy low candidiate (1st round pick - B level Prospect?). Good luck getting him now though, lol.

Hustlr

Oct 1, 2019
I'm tired of hearing people call for a coaching change. The coach is clearly not the issue, it's all on the players and the GM.
How is that clearly exactly?
It's not the coaches job to motivate the players, design a system that gets the most out of them, adapt their game and play style to meet challenges, juggle needs and manage personalities. These spoiled players make a lot more money than me, they should do all this themselves.
Actually what you described is exactly the coach’s job...
If anything, Babcock is too soft on these snowflake kids. You aren't supposed to enjoy your job, or like coming to work every day. You should know at all times that if you screw up you will get yelled at, berated, humiliated and benched. This is how my dad treated me and I turned out just fine. If your kid isn't crying, you aren't really parenting. That's how you motivate people, make them hate you and themselves.
Now I know this is a joke and am not going to waste my time reading any further.

edit: IN B4 LOCK

acrobaticgoalie

Jun 18, 2014
We had a team with Orr, McLaren, Rosehill and Mike Brown and we had the same tendencies and results we do now. Lack of effort and defensive miscues.

I do think the players have tuned out the coach but it's on them to show that they give a s*** and put the effort in. We have seen what they can do when they want to. We saw guys like Moore and Ennis put Chara on his a** and through out last years series against Boston we out hit them and were a pain in their a** because we used our speed to our advantage and frustrated them. Problem is we lost that series because they weren't giving 100% effort for 60 minutes. Which is why we didn't close the series out in game 6 and lost in game 7.

The defensive miscues I don't have an answer for. We've had different coaches and players over the past 8 years and still have the same problem. My best guess is it comes down to effort. Guys standing around, not moving their feet and pressuring the opposition. Forwards not supporting the defense, blowing the zone early, making it harder for the defense to make simple passes.

It would be nice to get a coach like Trotz that could get everyone to buy in to a solid defensive system and work together. As well as show up every night for 60 minutes. We do need guys who will battle and aren't afraid of physical contact. Plus stick up for each other when they get cheap shotted. That Matthews fly by last night on the Petry hit was pathetic.

Duckrider

Oct 6, 2015
When are some going to get it through their heads its not going to happen nor was there opportunity for it to happen The NHL want fierce competitors on the ice and gentlemen in public. That type of player/person for the most part will not be the type to break the rules of the game so blatantly. They also don't want their Star money makers with concussions. Its bad for business. So the trade off is speed and skill.

Also people are not machines. No matter how much they get payed and no matter how much skill and experience they have, and no matter what you think they are people who have good days and bad. And its a Team sport. Lots of variables.

As far as Dubis goes, and his vision for this team. Is inline for what the NHL is turning into, like it or not. Doesn't matter. The players that you wanted on this team were never available or wouldn't come here. We have the team we have because that's who was available. Period. He is also a professional in his field. You may be a professional, but remember hockey and hockey operations is not yours, no matter your opinion.

Duckrider

Oct 6, 2015
Also since this last rebuild we have had some lucky breaks, now reality is setting in and we are back on track. this is year 5 right? What was to happen? Just getting to the playoffs. That's where we are. Relax. Breath. Enjoy having a team that doesn't suck. We have some great young tallent for once. Enjoy.

Crows Eye

Oct 22, 2019
What’s wrong with the leafs? If you go by the stats, the only thing that really stands out is goaltending. Or more specifically, Hutchinson. Andersen isn’t having a stellar year by any means. His GAA and Sv% are off his historical averages, but at 6-2-1, the team is winning more in front of him than last year. On the other hand, last year Sparks and Hutchinson combined for a 10-12 record. This year Hutchinson is 0-3-1. His GAA and Sv% is abysmal and his rebound control and puck handling during games has been, well, let’s just say adventurous. He doesn’t look comfortable or confident.
Andersen earned 79 points playing 60 games last year. The bottom wildcard team had 98 points, meaning their back-up goalie needs to earn 20 points or win at least 10 games out of 22. So, Hutchinson needs at least a 10-8 record over over is remaining 18 games. Is that possible? Maybe. But right now, putting our playoff hopes on Hutchinson isn’t a comforting thought.

Twowingcantfly

Jul 4, 2019
*In today's game a defender will overlap while a forward rotates out of a spot said defender intends to go. (call it high cycle). On this Q the other 3 players will also rotate, to draw a defender with them, thus creating space and still being available for a pass to continue the cycle. No matter how prepared defending team is, they will break down if properly executed. If your centerpiece is ill equipped to execute this maneuver the entire attack fails.
*This is a system Babcock had in place two years ago. Dubas added new players and Babcock has since reverted to a system to accommodate the new players because they are ill equipped to execute the system Babs prefer using.
*This blunder would have been avoided if Babs had more input in who Dubas signs.

A1LeafNation

Obsession beats talent everytime!!
Oct 17, 2010
1. Matthews and Marner not showing up for big games and both don't play adequate defence.

2. Rielly Ceci and Barrie play ****ty defence.

3. Back up goalie is not where it needs to be.

4. PK not where it needs to be.

5. Bottom pair not where it needs to be.

6. Babcock not being effective in getting his message through to the players and not making good in game adjustments.

hector morrison

Apr 1, 2018
lol... yeah, a bunch of Colton Orrs will fix everything and take the team to unprecedented heights in today's NHL.
Having a bunch of Colton Orr's might be too simple an idea.Right now ,I'd take a team agreement of at least backing each other up!

Soft play from skill players is nothing new...expecting guys like Matthews/Marner to drop the gloves or take the body is very unlikely. Jt is a Captain in the Yzerman/Sackic mold where they don't need to fight and hopefully have the respect of other players in the league.However,so far this year,I have seen these players and others get creamed by opposing players .Opposition, that would likely never even dream of doing such a thing if they thought there would be a price to pay...by either having to defend themselves or by watching their skilled guys get run at as well. The Leafs have no such player. No tough guys,no pasts/agitators...The only player thus far that did anything is Marincin when he put Backes in a headlock and took him down,for running the goalie...and I loved it!

A more balanced line-up is needed. That much should be obvious by now. Maybe something gets done about it after they see the full roster playing .

Tak7

Nov 1, 2009
GTA or the UK
What's wrong with the Leafs?

Simple:

• Lots of new players
  • New systems
  • Top players still trying to find their groove
  • A fanbase that is overreacting to everything right now.

I genuinely think we all just need to take a deep breath and let this play out. We are still only 3 weeks into the season.

PromisedLand

I need more FOOD
Dec 3, 2016
Hogwarts
that is an interesting take OP

ummm.....

really?????

Just a side note. If I was getting paid millions of dollars as a player and I cannot self motivate myself then shame on me

Also, Leafs have had a tough schedule to start with 4 back to backs; JT injured; no hyman, no dermoot; and plenty of new faces on the team.

Thing would normalize around december/january and then people can go on full rants.

getting triggered this early is just silly

P.S. Would still like to see a response from the team when Freddy is run by opposition or our players get hit hard (JT, Matthews, Barrie)

Ports

Dec 7, 2017
lol... yeah, a bunch of Colton Orrs will fix everything and take the team to unprecedented heights in today's NHL.
Who has ever suggested bringing in Colton Orr? A big, winger or two who can play in the top nine, play physical and protect the Matthews, Marner and Nylanders of the world is what is needed. You’d be amazed how much better they’ll play if they don’t have to worry about getting run all the time.

Reactions: Cobra777

Ports

Dec 7, 2017
We had a team with Orr, McLaren, Rosehill and Mike Brown and we had the same tendencies and results we do now. Lack of effort and defensive miscues.

I do think the players have tuned out the coach but it's on them to show that they give a s*** and put the effort in. We have seen what they can do when they want to. We saw guys like Moore and Ennis put Chara on his a** and through out last years series against Boston we out hit them and were a pain in their a** because we used our speed to our advantage and frustrated them. Problem is we lost that series because they weren't giving 100% effort for 60 minutes. Which is why we didn't close the series out in game 6 and lost in game 7.

The defensive miscues I don't have an answer for. We've had different coaches and players over the past 8 years and still have the same problem. My best guess is it comes down to effort. Guys standing around, not moving their feet and pressuring the opposition. Forwards not supporting the defense, blowing the zone early, making it harder for the defense to make simple passes.

It would be nice to get a coach like Trotz that could get everyone to buy in to a solid defensive system and work together. As well as show up every night for 60 minutes. We do need guys who will battle and aren't afraid of physical contact. Plus stick up for each other when they get cheap shotted. That Matthews fly by last night on the Petry hit was pathetic.

Ports

Dec 7, 2017
When Moore and Ennis are your most physical players in the playoffs there is a problem. Love those guys but the big strong guys need to play physical too for it to be effective.

Reactions: Cobra777 and rumman

Trapper

Nov 21, 2013
Crosby is pure grit. He fights for every inch he gets.
Don’t bother.
Crosby and Malkin have skill.
Matthews and Nylander have skill therefore...no issues.

skill is the beginning of elite, not the end.
Why isn’t every pitcher who can throw a ball 90 miles an hour a champion?

Reactions: DarkKnight

LeafSteel

GO LEAFS GO!!!
Mar 5, 2014
Toronto
It is all Babcock’s fault.

When was the last time they practiced face washing and scrums in practice?

When did they practice give a crap? When did they stand in front of the mirror and practice their scary, Darcy Tucker crazy face?

Damn Babcock!!!!

david999

Jan 21, 2011
I think people are forgetting that we had a top hitter on the team a few years ago ( Matt Martin), who Babcock sat out the last third of the season and in the playoffs. Babcock is the problem plain and simple.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Inter Milan vs Torino
    Inter Milan vs Torino
    Wagers: 4
    Staked: $1,752.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Metz vs Lille
    Metz vs Lille