What's our real problem?

Everest

Apr 19, 2005
Don't need NASA's help figuring this one out, guys.

The correct answer is: Commitment.

Check, please.

StanDarsh

Jan 24, 2012
The first trade I would be looking at is Justin Shultz, I would trade him in a heartbeat for an actual top pairing defencemen. The next guys would be Hemsky, Gagne and then after that maybe Eberle and Yak-city.

PumpkinBombX

Jan 29, 2009
So, i think our problem is that we don't have a D who can play 25 min a night, and the rest of the D can barely play 20. I'd say for a lot of the games they play OK, then they make a tired mistake and it's in our net.

I've checked a few game sheets and notice that Klefbom is playing 23 min a night in OKC and is only -1 on the year, on a horribly minus team. So that's encouraging.

We need:

25 min a night guy - Petry (22 min)
J Schultz (20 min) - Ference (20 min)
from the rest (15 min) - Belov (18 min)

So basically we need to trade Smid and get a guy like him that can play 25 min and shut it down.

J Schultz' minutes should be heavier on the PP, same with Belov.

Last i checked, all of our top 4 was around 22 min a night and our 5/6 was around 16 min.

Petry looks like the only top 4 guy that can handle those minutes (and barely)

AssistantCaptain*

We have to change the whole culture of this team:

1. Fire Kevin Lowe - long overdue; the fish starts to rot at the head and he has not managed to instill a winning culture onto this team, no other enterprise would keep somebody as incompetent at this level for so long

2. Keep the following players and make the rest trade bait:
-RNH (too much talent, if we traded him it would bite us big time)
-Hall
-Perron
-Gordon
-Ference
-J.Shultz (we should keep him for PP, but in a lesser role for EV)

I would hate to trade Eberle, but he simply is no superstar who will take the team on his back. Actually, I think he could bring us much needed return. Gagner, Smid, Petry, Hemsky and Yakupov all hold some value as well.

3. Mortgage part of our future: As it looks right now, our first round pick in 2014 could be a highly coveted asset. Everyone laughed about the Leafs when they gave away their first round picks for Kessel but in the long run they certainly got some value out of this trade (wouldn't say they won it clear cut).

I think we all have to get used to the idea that some of our beloved future superstars will have to leave the team to make it better in the long run. And better to start this process now, than waste another season (it will be difficult enough to salvage this season anyway).

YES YES YES. I would trade hall over yakupov based on last season and his potential ceiling but this year doesn't look so good.

I would disagree that RNH is a culprit of poor defensive play. There are times when he is outmatched in terms of size/strength but I don't have a problem with his effort.

I was at the Capitals game and although he didn't shine on the scoresheet Nuge was still making some smart stick checks and takeaways that made me think of a Pavel Datsyuk in the making. Clearly not there yet but I could see it happening (or at least a Datsyuk Lite)

I don't understand why RNH's defensive game gets ripped on. He was -1 in a 4-0 game.

Right...I'm sure if we were to swap rosters with the Blackhawks or the Bruins we'd be just as bad.

He got in to K.Lowe's medicine cabinet

Playa Hejda

Oct 9, 2013
#yeg
I agree with this completely. We shouldn't be looking to swap stars. We need to isolate and address each need like Columbus did. One can dream though :nod:

Like when specific needs were identified and address with players like Belanger, Eager, Smithson.... I'd strongly prefer more players that were, you know, "good at hockey" rather than good at a hockey related role.

jukon

NHL Point Leader
Mar 17, 2011
Right...I'm sure if we were to swap rosters with the Blackhawks or the Bruins we'd be just as bad.

My point is if you have KLowe and company running the Bruins they wouldn't be nearly as good. So while people want to trade our young guys the first thing we need is competent managers and coaches. I like Eakins but I would have preferred someone more proven. At the very least he needs better assistants than Smith and Buchberger.

Blob

Aug 22, 2007
Canucks fan chiming in, but also an overall hockey fan.

I think, and I am in no way a hockey manager, the Oilers need to find some measure of success with the players and coaches that they have now.

It's a horrible situation right now, that's for sure. But pushing the panic button or blowing it up so soon after the coaching and personnel changes that have already been made would really bring on a feeling of hopelessness.

Some will say it's already hopeless, and that's a fair point. The team is brutal right now and everyone is upset. But I was always told not to make important decisions when upset.

They've got to hold course until they get some players back and they at least string together some good play and get a few results. Then maybe pull the trigger on a well-structured and well-thought out trade.

Even if they suck for the rest of the year, I'd be wary of some of the trade "proposals" being thrown around by Oilers fans.

It really sucks though.

oilinblood

Aug 8, 2009
I have 0 faith in MacT to get this right. He is horrible at assessing talent.

I'll never ever forget when he said reasoner was as good as Sakic

Lol that quote is being used out of context, lets forget that he called that cleary would have to make his career as a checker, that schremp and other lowe picks were not gonna hack it in the nhl, got the most out of penner with the least talent to surround him with, and by name selected tge players lowe should target in 06.

MacT is why i believe this team is on the right track. Only a fool would believe the AHL squad of 20012-13 would be instantly transformed unto a Nhl playoff team.

THIS ISNT NHL 14. You cant just change over your systems and players and trade for anyone you like while expecting it all to fall into place. MacT went for Schneider and was willing to give up the nurse pick but adding magnus would have meant st.louis had the asset to get perron with the sedins...AND we had no one interested in Dubnyk. Do you want perron playing with the sedins? He went hard for Bernier, he landed Perron, Gordon, and Ference. Two of those three players have been our best and most consistent skaters, while the third is seeing just how bad our team defense really is.

To me MacT is the only reason i have faith that this will turn around. It wont happen this year though. MacT needs a trade deadline and another off season. Hopefully Eakins can save Smyth and Hemmer for january and get them a hot four weeks to achieve best value for them at the deadline.

I am also a realist. I told everyone to shake their heads and their enthusiasm after the meaningless preseayson. This was going to be a hard road with top centres injured, new systems under a rookie coach, and still using ahl players to fill gaps in the roster, while the defense is made if alot of dmen which has not one as a true top pair. And we still have the shoddy goaltenders.

It can be turned around if GMs are prepared to play ball... But dont count on it. Alot of GMs dont feel the pressure to move players.

McShogun99

Aug 30, 2009
Edmonton
Despite this teams short comings, we're an average goalie away from competing for a playoff spot. If this team manages to get an above average goalie, top pairing defenceman and some luck with injuries, then were a playoff team.

McTedi

Jul 16, 2008
Edmonton
Lol that quote is being used out of context, lets forget that he called that cleary would have to make his career as a checker, that schremp and other lowe picks were not gonna hack it in the nhl, got the most out of penner with the least talent to surround him with, and by name selected tge players lowe should target in 06.

MacT is why i believe this team is on the right track. Only a fool would believe the AHL squad of 20012-13 would be instantly transformed unto a Nhl playoff team.

THIS ISNT NHL 14. You cant just change over your systems and players and trade for anyone you like while expecting it all to fall into place. MacT went for Schneider and was willing to give up the nurse pick but adding magnus would have meant st.louis had the asset to get perron with the sedins...AND we had no one interested in Dubnyk. Do you want perron playing with the sedins? He went hard for Bernier, he landed Perron, Gordon, and Ference. Two of those three players have been our best and most consistent skaters, while the third is seeing just how bad our team defense really is.

To me MacT is the only reason i have faith that this will turn around. It wont happen this year though. MacT needs a trade deadline and another off season. Hopefully Eakins can save Smyth and Hemmer for january and get them a hot four weeks to achieve best value for them at the deadline.

I am also a realist. I told everyone to shake their heads and their enthusiasm after the meaningless preseayson. This was going to be a hard road with top centres injured, new systems under a rookie coach, and still using ahl players to fill gaps in the roster, while the defense is made if alot of dmen which has not one as a true top pair. And we still have the shoddy goaltenders.

It can be turned around if GMs are prepared to play ball... But dont count on it. Alot of GMs dont feel the pressure to move players.
Hemsky has value at the TDL if he continues to play good. Smyth will not be traded as he is getting ready to ride off into the sunset, I sincerely doubt that he wants to be a rental player this late in his career.

Up the Irons

Mar 9, 2008
Canada
Mact will make moves, he is just waiting to get the most value. unfortunately, that means a placement in the bottom 1/5th of the league and and playoffs hopes down the drain before the 20 game mark.

all we can do is wait. in the meantime and in between time... watch wrestling.

BoHorvatFan

Dec 13, 2009
Vancouver
Mact will make moves, he is just waiting to get the most value. unfortunately, that means a placement in the bottom 1/5th of the league and and playoffs hopes down the drain before the 20 game mark.

Modern day wrestling is the only thing more painful than Oilers games though. I mean from an Oilers fan perspective I actually enjoy the games because they're wide open and entertaining... too wide open in most cases.

Up the Irons

Mar 9, 2008
Canada
Modern day wrestling is the only thing more painful than Oilers games though. I mean from an Oilers fan perspective I actually enjoy the games because they're wide open and entertaining... too wide open in most cases.

true, but the wrestling part was just an add on for the 'in the meantime and in between time'. posters over 40 will remember.

The Human Torch

Sep 7, 2005
Amsterdam
hqdefault.jpg

Burger Baron

Feb 6, 2013
Vancouver
This is how our D should look next year if we get the RIGHT #1 and #3

XX - Petry
Nurse - XX
Ferrence - J.Schultz

I'd trade Smid ++ to get a RH #3 like Dan Girardi or Derrick Morris...or sign them as UFA

I'd Trade Yak + J.Schultz for #1 D and fill bottom spot with Belov

**If Nurse ain't ready, give it to Klef. If Klef ain't ready, then to the dumps again it is. But for heavens sake play Justin against weak comp.!

Gord

Oct 9, 2005
Edmonton
what's wrong with the Oilers?
Eakins was quoted in today's paper saying two things things that help sum it up.

"I assumed we knew what traditional defense zone coverage was. It was clear that we didn't."

"I see our team is excited to score goals. boy they like to score. But we need a group that is equally excited to stop goals. I'm not sure our group is wired like that"

so it seems a lot of the problem has been the coaching in the last 4 years and the players not bothering or not being forced to learn how to play a complete game.

Moose Coleman

Apr 12, 2012
what's wrong with the Oilers?
Eakins was quoted in today's paper saying two things things that help sum it up.

"I assumed we knew what traditional defense zone coverage was. It was clear that we didn't."

"I see our team is excited to score goals. boy they like to score. But we need a group that is equally excited to stop goals. I'm not sure our group is wired like that"

so it seems a lot of the problem has been the coaching in the last 4 years and the players not bothering or not being forced to learn how to play a complete game.

Interesting stuff. It's almost as if four years of a coaching merry-go-round means bad habits went unaddressed.

Clearly the solution is to change the coaching and management team again.

Conkanen*

Lack of:
Grit/functional toughness
Talent on Back end and in Goal

Dorian2

Define that balance
Jul 17, 2009
Edmonton

Ed Whalen...is that you? Hercules Ayala would be a good pickup right now.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad