Prospect Info: Whats More impressive QMJHL/OHL/WHL etc.

tmack224

Aug 18, 2009
Buffalo, NY
Just wanted to get everyones opinion on the junior leagues. I don't get to watch the games other than highlights.

What is more impressive. 50 goals at 18 in the Q or in the OHL or WHL?

I look at a prospect like Baptiste. 43 goals in 63 games this year in the OHL. How does that compare to Anthony Mantha who at 18 last year scored 50 in 67 games in the Q. I always thought it was easier for some reason to score in the Q. (going back to the simone gamache days, still fun to look at his stats lol) Would love some input from people in those markets or who get to see these leagues play.

I think Baptiste gets overlooked for some reason when people talk about top scoring prospects. Drafted last year, was only 17, could score 50 goals this year at 18. Mantha gets all this praise and did the same thing when he was 18 last year in the Q.

I really think Baptiste could be our best pick of the 2013 draft (when it comes to pure offense)

Also any insight on his game to game play style would be nice. I really wanna see this kid play.

ZeroPT*

WHL is the toughest Defensive league IMO
The quality of players is th best in the OHL
The QMJHL is a scoring fest

tmack224

Aug 18, 2009
Buffalo, NY
WHL is the toughest Defensive league IMO
The quality of players is th best in the OHL
The QMJHL is a scoring fest

Ok so thats what I thought.

So at 18 Baptiste is outscoring guys like Max Domi, Scott Laughton, Burakovsky, etc, while not playing on a powerhouse line.

Shouldn't he be getting more attention? Or is there something about him that doesn't look like it will translate?

ZeroPT*

Ok so thats what I thought.

So at 18 Baptiste is outscoring guys like Max Domi, Scott Laughton, Burakovsky, etc, while not playing on a powerhouse line.

Shouldn't he be getting more attention? Or is there something about him that doesn't look like it will translate?

Personally I'd like to see more of him. I'd like to se him play like he has in the play offs or on a bigger stage.

McCauleyChirps

Gare's "Partner"
May 20, 2006
Rochester, NY
This is more of a question you should be asking in the stickied Sabres prospect repository. There is a boat load of information on Baptiste there.

But the difference in leagues as ZeroPT pointed out is accurate more or less.

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation

Take a look at GAA in the three leagues over the last decade or so and you'll find the Q is no longer the stereotype of one-way, all offense leagues. I don't usually agree with stokes, but in this case, the old stereotypes do not hold water any longer.

50 in any of the CHL leagues is an accomplishment as an 18 year old. Period.

B U F F A L O

Dec 30, 2013
Who posted that goals per game in the leagues over the past decade (2003 to 2013?)

Didnt it show that the leagues are getting much closer than they used to be?

OcAirlines

Jul 18, 2009
I don't think that Baptiste is underrated, a ton of people have praised his performances this season, he has been rising in our prospect rankings and so on. But yeah, that's a discussion for the prospect thread.

ZeroPT*

Take a look at GAA in the three leagues over the last decade or so and you'll find the Q is no longer the stereotype of one-way, all offense leagues. I don't usually agree with stokes, but in this case, the old stereotypes do not hold water any longer.

50 in any of the CHL leagues is an accomplishment as an 18 year old. Period.

Oh I know it's an achievement. I think the stats are misleading, watching a WHL game you get the impression that it's much tighter defensively, the teams are built from the back-end out, looking at some of the past memorial cup winning teams from the Q:
The 2012 sea dogs had 6 20+ point scorers on their team, while the 2013 mooseheads had 6 aswell.
The Q teams are built through offense and scoring, while the WHL is a much more defensively oriented league, the way the teams are built.
As for the OHL, I'd say it's a mix between the two, you have some teams, like the London Knights who've always been built through Defense and keeping the puck out of their net and you have other teams, like the Erie Otters of this year who are built through scoring.
In summary, the stats may indicate differently, but the descriptions of the leagues is more or less accurate, when looking at the way the teams are built and watching them play.

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
Oh I know it's an achievement. I think the stats are misleading, watching a WHL game you get the impression that it's much tighter defensively, the teams are built from the back-end out, looking at some of the past memorial cup winning teams from the Q:
The 2012 sea dogs had 6 20+ point scorers on their team, while the 2013 mooseheads had 6 aswell.
The Q teams are built through offense and scoring, while the WHL is a much more defensively oriented league, the way the teams are built.
As for the OHL, I'd say it's a mix between the two, you have some teams, like the London Knights who've always been built through Defense and keeping the puck out of their net and you have other teams, like the Erie Otters of this year who are built through scoring.
In summary, the stats may indicate differently, but the descriptions of the leagues is more or less accurate, when looking at the way the teams are built and watching them play.

Eh, there have been plenty of Knights teams who were built by buying high-priced NCAA commits on scoring without that much invested on the backend over the last 10 years too. Over the last 5 years in particular, to me at least, there are very very few differences in the top teams from league to league. Bottom dwellers are... well... bad. The mid-range teams may be more to stereo-type, but the elite teams by league will have scoring depth, very good defenses, and very good to great goaltending. Styles have shifted considerably over say, the 1980's, when 2 point/game Q guys were basically three for a dollar or a six-pack for $1.75.

ZeroPT*

Eh, there have been plenty of Knights teams who were built by buying high-priced NCAA commits on scoring without that much invested on the backend over the last 10 years too. Over the last 5 years in particular, to me at least, there are very very few differences in the top teams from league to league. Bottom dwellers are... well... bad. The mid-range teams may be more to stereo-type, but the elite teams by league will have scoring depth, very good defenses, and very good to great goaltending. Styles have shifted considerably over say, the 1980's, when 2 point/game Q guys were basically three for a dollar or a six-pack for $1.75.

Well I wasn't able to witness that so I can't comment on that :laugh:
But of the recent Knights teams that have come out and become serious contenders, they were all built through the back end and sported great defenses with the likes of Harrington,Tinordi,Hughes,Maatta,Zadorov et all. Aswell as great two way players like Horvat,Griffith and company

Ad

Upcoming events

• Inter Milan vs Torino
    Inter Milan vs Torino
    Wagers: 5
    Staked: $2,752.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Metz vs Lille
    Metz vs Lille
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $354.00