TSN: What's holding up Kopitar's new contract? (MOD WARNING) post #205

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Night King

Mar 25, 2014
California
Agreed. Doughty is already the Kings best player. Yet another reason to not give Kopitar a contract with a crazy AAV, because Doughty will want and should get more than Kopitar.

That's not how it works. You pay your best players what you must to keep them now and try to win during what's left of this run, regardless of what happens years from now when the Kings are bottom dwellers.

damacles1156

Feb 5, 2010
That's not how it works. You pay your best players what you must to keep them now and try to win during what's left of this run, regardless of what happens years from now when the Kings are bottom dwellers.

Kopitar's contract wouldn't effect Doughty's anyway, other than a lot of money tied up in those two.

Doughty will want to be one of the highest paid players regardless, and rightfully so.

KingsKnight

Reset in progress
Nov 12, 2008
CA
a view from slovenia: i'm having fun about how much havoc is generated here (in north america and among lak fans) about kopi's contract. it looks like a medieval religious war. and it's a bit of a cultural shock trying to understand why.

look, lak will be fine, and kopi will be fine, if they sign or if they don't sign. and very probably they will sign, 99% signed is the public sentiment here.

anyhow, no worries on slovenian forums about it. fans are glad if kopi scores or if lak wins, and if both happens, twice the joy. enjoy the games, cheerz!

I think part of that is because we all know Kopi will be fine either way. I would imagine Slovenians are more concerned with how he does, and of course he's going to get paid and get to play somewhere. On the side of the Kings though, he's either leaving the team without any benefit to the Kings (very unlikely), or getting paid so much he handcuffs the team down the road (somewhat likely), or will get paid a fair but lesser amount which will work out for both sides (less likely unless Dean is a wizard).

mrkolice

May 26, 2014
Ljubljana, Slovenia
I think part of that is because we all know Kopi will be fine either way. I would imagine Slovenians are more concerned with how he does, and of course he's going to get paid and get to play somewhere. On the side of the Kings though, he's either leaving the team without any benefit to the Kings (very unlikely), or getting paid so much he handcuffs the team down the road (somewhat likely), or will get paid a fair but lesser amount which will work out for both sides (less likely unless Dean is a wizard).

i have one bottomline question for lak fans: can lak be a contender for a cup without kopi? and if so, when? this year? next year? when?

same bottomline question for strict kopi fans: can kopi be a contender for a cup without lak? and if so, with whom? and when? this year? next year? when?

lak needs kopi as much as kopi needs lak, it's that simple, neck bone connected to the head bone. imo the deal is already done, and what we're having here are just those last moments after a very long and obscure mutual striptease...

justonetime

Mar 13, 2009
i have one bottomline question for lak fans: can lak be a contender for a cup without kopi? and if so, when? this year? next year? when?

same bottomline question for strict kopi fans: can kopi be a contender for a cup without lak? and if so, with whom? and when? this year? next year? when?

lak needs kopi as much as kopi needs lak, it's that simple, neck bone connected to the head bone. imo the deal is already done, and what we're having here are just those last moments after a very long and obscure mutual striptease...

The people that agree with you have mostly tuned out of this thread, but I think it's extremely unlikely Kopitar will be anything other than a King next year

Omni Owl

No fun, only 1-3-1
Mar 9, 2008
Can't really imagine Kopi playing anywhere else, if he gets traded I'll be surprised. He's going to get paid a lot, probably for too long and its going to hurt, but I don't really see any other viable options. Any contending team needs a decent #1C.

Kings4thecup

Aug 16, 2010
Sacramento, CA

I personally think LA and Kopitar will agree, and he'll be a King for 8 more years minimum, but that may just be the Homer in me. But, if Kopi went for the money, Nashville is a place he could go and be competitive right away. The Canes may be interested, but I doubt he makes them competitive for the cup, but he would make them better. There are probably a couple other options.

Trolfoli

May 30, 2013

I think a lot of the panic is about getting burned on a long term contract. Lombardi isn't doing well with those as of late.

Can the Kings contend without Kopi: Sure just as soon as they can replace him. That may be difficult when you look at his ability to shut down other teams top lines.

Kopi going for a cup without the Kings: Nashville. With their goaltending and defense, adding Kopi to their top line, no one would ever score against them. Ever!

damacles1156

Feb 5, 2010
We have covered the most relevant topics on Kopitar thoroughly. Too many drive by's and rule breaking.

So closed for now, till more relevant Kopitar news is released.

Raccoon Jesus

Todd McLellan is an inside agent
Oct 30, 2008
I.E.
We have covered the most relevant topics on Kopitar thoroughly. Too many drive by's and rule breaking.

So closed for now, till more relevant Kopitar news is released.

To add to this--if you folks see something you deem substantial and the thread has not been re-opened in a timely manner, please PM the mod team. Thanks.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad