What's happening with potential USHL expansion?

herbst20

Jul 8, 2011
Not much. I believe the owner has proposed building a new small stadium, however I think it's short on funding and traction. If you look at their web page it hasn't been updated much with news on its progress.

Kansas City is moving forward with a new arena. Lamar Hunt Jr owns the ECHL team there and he's made it clear he wants the USHL as well.

Coralville Iowa is also building an ice arena. The developers have mentioned wanting a USHL franchise too, but you don't see much clear info on it. It's very close to other teams, too close in my opinion. I'd rather see University if Iowa start a D1 team since they are right next door. The AD has stated they have no plans though. Still, the arena is the most expensive piece so it's huge to have that in place. Much easier to raise funds for just scholarships and operating costs. They'd need to start a women's program in something too for title IX as well.

I highly doubt you will see Coralville get a USHL franchise. With the proximity of Cedar Rapids (22 Miles), the Roughriders would have to okay the franchise. I do not see that happening with a decent portion of the fan base coming from Coralville, North Liberty, and Iowa City.

I would agree I would like to see Iowa get a D1 team.

Slowe

Feb 8, 2003
Chicago
Visit site
Racine WI is being tossed out as a possible expansion location. The Milwaukee Bucks are looking for a WI city to build a small arena to host their developmental league team. Racine is in the bidding. If the arena is approved, a possible USHL team owner in the form of a Wild owner has stepped forward. Nothing solid yet but not a bad situation so far. Brand new arena (maybe), stable owner, great location compared to other USHL teams.

Minnesota Wild Owner Supports Potential Racine USHL Team

Last edited:

paul-laus

Jun 20, 2007
So has the Indiana Ice franchise just ceased to exist or what is the deal there?

Slowe

Feb 8, 2003
Chicago
Visit site
So has the Indiana Ice franchise just ceased to exist or what is the deal there?

Basically yes. Going off memory here. The stadium they were using underwent massive renovations. When finished, they gave the Ice the boot in favor of pro hockey, or the ECHL Fuel. The team went dormant. The owner tried to build a smaller arena to suit the Ice. Here's the latest update I could find.

http://www.indystar.com/story/money/2014/09/22/skjodt-envisions-m-hockey-sports-complex/16069479/

My favorite quote that summed up his problem is "The money isn't exactly in hand to build the facility." No updates since as far as I can tell. The Ice still have a website. It used to have updates about this arena that was supposedly on its way. Now the site just says "Under construction." Better than being taken down entirely I guess, but that's not a lot of hope to go on...

kij

Jan 31, 2016

It is likely they get sold and relocate the next time an expansion franchise is granted. Very few teams manage to return from dormancy without new ownership.

paul-laus

Jun 20, 2007
It is likely they get sold and relocate the next time an expansion franchise is granted. Very few teams manage to return from dormancy without new ownership.

Why do I get the feeling that we're talking about 6 years from now? Racine likely will be an expansion team when an arena gets built some day. I thought that there was talk about Corallville Iowa in terms of an arena and potential of courting a USHL franchise....

kij

Jan 31, 2016
Why do I get the feeling that we're talking about 6 years from now? Racine likely will be an expansion team when an arena gets built some day. I thought that there was talk about Corallville Iowa in terms of an arena and potential of courting a USHL franchise....

Unless somewhere pops up in Ohio, I honestly cannot see USHL expansion any time soon. Chicago and Bloomington definitely lose money with the low attendance figures however I have not heard any relocation rumors out of them yet. The USHL will likely have the same teams for the next 2 years because the league has said they like to give teams 2 years to get things in line.

JungleJON

May 10, 2011
Sure wish Johnstown would move to the USHL. Play in the NAHL just doesn't cut it.
But to do so, they would need a couple of team in Ohio, W. Virginia and PA.

Their attendence would put them in about the middle of the league.

herbst20

Jul 8, 2011
Lots of rumors of USHL expansion within the USHL circles but I dont think you will see it this year. Commissioner Fallen hinted at it in 2018-2019 on the Pipeline show. Over the last year Kansas City and Racine have both said publicly that they have secured a USHL franchise but we will have to see if it comes to fruition. Both have Owners (Lamar Hunt Jr and Wild Owner) who have deep pockets backing the attempts.

Lots of rumors about Bloomington folding. I have spoken to a few Season Ticket holders and they both say the same thing. The community hasnt embraced the USHL as they have along standing with Minor Pro and see the USHL as "Kids" Attendence is averaging around 900 and that wont cut it in this league. I had heard the number needed to "break even" is somewhere in the 2000 range but I dont know that for sure.

kij

Jan 31, 2016
Lots of rumors of USHL expansion within the USHL circles but I dont think you will see it this year. Commissioner Fallen hinted at it in 2018-2019 on the Pipeline show. Over the last year Kansas City and Racine have both said publicly that they have secured a USHL franchise but we will have to see if it comes to fruition. Both have Owners (Lamar Hunt Jr and Wild Owner) who have deep pockets backing the attempts.

Lots of rumors about Bloomington folding. I have spoken to a few Season Ticket holders and they both say the same thing. The community hasnt embraced the USHL as they have along standing with Minor Pro and see the USHL as "Kids" Attendence is averaging around 900 and that wont cut it in this league. I had heard the number needed to "break even" is somewhere in the 2000 range but I dont know that for sure.

NAHL break even is 2,000. USHL provides all protective gear, skates, and billet fees in addition to team gear, glove, helmets and sticks the NAHL team provides the players. USHL teams also cover player billet fees ~$400/month/player. So 25 players billets costs the team $90,000. All in all to break even it is probably near 3,000 fans per game.

joshyhockey26

Dec 6, 2015
st louis
For those who follow the USHL expansion more closely, has St. Louis ever been in the mix?? I only ask as the city is in the process of building a massive complex with multiple rinks in it. One of which is going to the Blues for practices. But in the general layout photos they did throw in the USHL logo. Also on their site, The Legacy Ice Foundation has a link to the USHL's league page.

herbst20

Jul 8, 2011
For those who follow the USHL expansion more closely, has St. Louis ever been in the mix?? I only ask as the city is in the process of building a massive complex with multiple rinks in it. One of which is going to the Blues for practices. But in the general layout photos they did throw in the USHL logo. Also on their site, The Legacy Ice Foundation has a link to the USHL's league page.

I think that is the ultimate goal with building the new facility. It would be a great spot for a USHL team as the Stl area has been a hotbed for USHL talent for the past decade. Cedar Rapids alone has prospered off scouting the area. Chris Wideman, Nick Saracino.....

Blue Liner

Dec 12, 2009
Chicago
St. Louis has been a tough junior market. Two NAHL teams have tried and failed. Logistically it would be great and there's no shortage of talent coming out of there but not sure how well it would draw and survive in a business sense.

Dec 13, 2010
STL I think is a likely expansion target over the next 5 years. Not sure when but it definitely gets discussed. Just not sure what the audience would be like there, you'd have to have an owner who doesn't mind losing money for a few years in hopes that it works out eventually.

Bobr052672

Apr 16, 2017
I have an 02 that has offers to play with a u16 usphl futures team and a naphl u15 team any advice

Captain Crash

Apr 9, 2015
STL I think is a likely expansion target over the next 5 years. Not sure when but it definitely gets discussed. Just not sure what the audience would be like there, you'd have to have an owner who doesn't mind losing money for a few years in hopes that it works out eventually.

Looks like we may see St. Louis join the USHL as early as 2018. According to hockey scout Andrew Weiss via Twitter:

Interesting that the video does make the USHL sound like a done deal for this facility, but doesn't really say when. They do note the new arena would be open by Fall 2018, so that's our earliest possible start for a hypothetical USHL franchise there.

paul-laus

Jun 20, 2007
^^^ I gotta say, as a self professed hockey fanatic from Winnipeg where hockey rules all else, that is one of the nicest hockey facilities-training centers I've ever seen. It's comprehensive beyond words. Kudos to the city of Saint Lou for getting something like that completed. I don't know how many years it took from the initial stage of plans to now but I have to think a facility of that magnitude would take eons to move forward in most Canadian markets. Impressive and a real testament to the growth of hockey at all levels in St.Louis......

adsfan

May 31, 2008
Milwaukee
Racine WI is being tossed out as a possible expansion location. The Milwaukee Bucks are looking for a WI city to build a small arena to host their developmental league team. Racine is in the bidding. If the arena is approved, a possible USHL team owner in the form of a Wild owner has stepped forward. Nothing solid yet but not a bad situation so far. Brand new arena (maybe), stable owner, great location compared to other USHL teams.

Minnesota Wild Owner Supports Potential Racine USHL Team

The Bucks development team will be in Oshkosh, not Racine.

jason2020

Sep 24, 2014
^^^ I gotta say, as a self professed hockey fanatic from Winnipeg where hockey rules all else, that is one of the nicest hockey facilities-training centers I've ever seen. It's comprehensive beyond words. Kudos to the city of Saint Lou for getting something like that completed. I don't know how many years it took from the initial stage of plans to now but I have to think a facility of that magnitude would take eons to move forward in most Canadian markets. Impressive and a real testament to the growth of hockey at all levels in St.Louis......

Rockland which is 40 minutes from Ottawa has a rink much like the one there building in St Louis now how long did it take around 10 years before they even broke ground.

JMCx4

Censorship is the Sincerest Form of Flattery
Sep 3, 2017
St. Louis, MO
Looks like we may see St. Louis join the USHL as early as 2018. According to hockey scout Andrew Weiss via Twitter:
Interesting that the video does make the USHL sound like a done deal for this facility, but doesn't really say when. They do note the new arena would be open by Fall 2018, so that's our earliest possible start for a hypothetical USHL franchise there.

Progress toward construction of the Legacy Ice Center in suburban St. Louis has ground to a halt, due to local government in-fighting that stirred up previously muted public debate re. land usage/conservation in the park: KMOV.com: County council votes to pause construction on ice rink at Creve Coeur Park

Oak

Apr 22, 2012
MA
With the NCDC starting this year I guess we can agree USHL will never expand to the north east.

CLeaguer10

Oct 31, 2017
Bloomington isn't even named Bloomington anymore, changed to Central Illinois Flying Aces. They haven't played any games yet at their home arena citing poor conditions at the arena, although the ISU Redbirds and the local travel teams have been playing games and holding practices in that same arena all along. They've pushed back their home opener so many times it's a joke. Am sure they are shopping around for a new home. They played two home games in Peoria a few hours before the Riverman games last weekend. Seems fishy with all their stalling to actually show up in Bloomington.

JMCx4

Censorship is the Sincerest Form of Flattery
Sep 3, 2017
St. Louis, MO
Bloomington ... played two home games in Peoria a few hours before the Riverman games last weekend. Seems fishy with all their stalling to actually show up in Bloomington.
Their next two "home games" for this coming weekend are also listed to be played at Carver Arena. I've reached out to a Bloomington area friend who is a Flying Aces STH, to ask whassup.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad