What's happening with AJ Thelen?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Schlep Rock

Feb 28, 2002
USA
Thelen isn't AHL eligible to my knowledge.

Beyond that, his best bet would be Prince Albert next year but who knows what he ends up deciding.

TMHUNH

Feb 27, 2003
NH
Visit site
Schlep Rock said:
Thelen isn't AHL eligible to my knowledge.

Beyond that, his best bet would be Prince Albert next year but who knows what he ends up deciding.

I am 99.79% sure that he is AHL eligible. As long as you are old enough to be drafted, you can play in the AHL, except for the CHL rules, which wouldn't apply to Thelen.

Hunter74

Sep 21, 2004
TMHUNH said:
I am 99.79% sure that he is AHL eligible. As long as you are old enough to be drafted, you can play in the AHL, except for the CHL rules, which wouldn't apply to Thelen.

I thought 1st rounders had to be 20yrs old before they can move on to the AHL. Or does that only apply for CHL players and not College players??

TMHUNH

Feb 27, 2003
NH
Visit site
Mr.Hunter74 said:
I thought 1st rounders had to be 20yrs old before they can move on to the AHL. Or does that only apply for CHL players and not College players??

Players drafted out of the CHL have to apply to special rules (must be 20, or played a certain # of games). That is for players drafted in any round, or even signed out of the CHL as an undrafted FA. No different rules apply to first rounders.

Players drafted out of any other league have no such restrictions. That is why some players can play in the AHL at 19 ie. Suter, Zakharov etc. because they weren't drafted out of the CHL.

King'sPawn

Enjoy the chaos
Jul 1, 2003
Jacobv2 said:
Good kid, good kid.

While it's good that he's admitted where his fault was, I would find a couple of his other remarks troubling.

The double standard, remark, for one, is a problem. He's not been performing well this season, and while I don't want to use statistics as a basis for an argument... it does seem to indicate he's been out of shape this season. The coach's remark that this is an ongoing problem from the beginning of a season is a lot more telling than Thelen's cop-out.

I also wonder why he threw out that "There's not a lot of trust on the team right now. This season is just out of control" remark. Was he trying to justify his behavior? Sour grapes? They're a point under .500. It's not like the team is doing horribly.

Maybe I'm reading too much into it, but right now, Thelen would not be worth the 1st round pick unless he turns it around.

Jacob

as seen on TV
Feb 27, 2002
I was kidding. Thelen is obviously a horrible seed. In fact, I've never seen a non-Rangers prospect sink this fast in a long, long time.

King'sPawn

Enjoy the chaos
Jul 1, 2003
Jacobv2 said:
I was kidding. Thelen is obviously a horrible seed. In fact, I've never seen a non-Rangers prospect sink this fast in a long, long time.

Oh.

We really need to have a smiley face to show when a joke goes over somebody's head.

Jacob

as seen on TV
Feb 27, 2002
Well, you still made good points.

His comments about the team DO sound like sour grapes. It sounds like his development and his stock have taken a huge hit and he wants to bring the rest of the team down with him. Turn it into an "us" sort of thing rather than a "me" thing.

SpaceGhost79

Mar 8, 2002
I also find it interesting that it was his teammates that reported that he went out drinking to his coach. They basically ratted him out and that comes off as they wanted Thelen gone, too (or at least someone did). Sounds like they got sick of dealing with his off-ice antics and it became too much of a disruption. But now its become even more of a disruption in the lockerroom with everyone talking about it and trying to figure out who the mole is.

Check out the Pioneer Press article today: Feud triggers Thelen exit

Last edited:

Vlad The Impaler

Feb 27, 2002
Montreal
He also admitted that he and four teammates, whom he declined to identify, went out after they were scratched for Friday's game and told by Comley they would not play Saturday against the Fighting Irish in South Bend, Ind.

"We just went out to have something to eat, and we had a few drinks with it," he said. "It wasn't like we were all saying bad things about coach. We had dinner and a few drinks because we knew we weren't playing all weekend."

Comley was not happy to learn that benching his teenage blue liner greenlighted a night of revelry. He confronted Thelen in his office Saturday morning, and when Thelen didn't dispute the facts, Comley kicked him off the team.

"Underage drinking is highly inappropriate, and certainly between games, it's highly inappropriate," Comley said.

Thelen accused Comley of holding him to greater scrutiny than others who were guilty of breaking team rules.

"Double standards, that's what it comes down to," Thelen said.

Comley said he has not ruled out punishing the other players, adding that "each case in discipline is handled differently."

And in the same article (this is the one linked 2-3 posts above):

Meanwhile, the Prince Albert Raiders of the Western Hockey League envision Thelen patrolling their blue line in Saskatchewan. The Raiders drafted him in 2002 and own his junior rights for another year.

"We'd love to have him. We think major junior hockey is exactly what he needs," Prince Albert general manager Donn Clark said. "We play a 72-game season, and with preseason games plus playoffs, he could play 85 to 100 games. That's exactly what he needs and what our program needs."

dBoon

Sep 28, 2004
Good article from the Pioneer Press - the whole episode is a good reminder on the maturity level of some 18 year olds. Hopefully Thelen will grow up a little on account of this.

Vlad The Impaler

Feb 27, 2002
Montreal
I don't know how it is in the US, but Thelen should be careful. It says in the article he feels he was betrayed by his roommate who ratted on him.

I don't know how it is over there but you can be ratted by a whole LOT of people when you go on a night out with several teammates.

Including customers/bystanders. It seems to me anybody could have ratted on him. It might not even be someone on the team.

I know in the CHL, you don't need any teammate to "rat you out" sometimes... :D

Levitate

Jul 29, 2004
like others said, i have a feeling it's not just this one instance that got him kicked off the team. this was just the icing on the cake, so to speak

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->