What's Happened to Frederik Andersen?

Teemu

Caffeine Free Since 1919
Dec 3, 2002
5v5 sv% first two series: .936
This series: .931

Hardly a huge difference, particularly considering the uptick in competition.

Last edited:

Vipers31

Advanced Stagnostic
Aug 29, 2008
Cologne, Germany
Vipers, would you trade Andersen this offseason? You don't really sound like you think he's any good

I absolutely wouldn't (unless I'm getting Lundqvist/Price/Rinne/... back, which I obviously wouldn't get). I'm not saying I am sure that Gibson will be better than Andersen is. There's risks in projection going forward. I like Gibson's technical basis better than Freddie's, and believe it's a more likely basis for success in the league, but that doesn't itself seal anything. For now, Freddie's still the most proven goalie the Ducks have, and he is a starting caliber NHL goalie, which Gibson still has to even prove. And Freddie still has plenty of potential, in his own right, if he can polish his fundamentals further.

Obviously, I'm a bit down tonight, on him like on many. I'm really not saying anything different in this thread than I've been saying for months. He's a good goalie, with certain admirable strengths, but also certain clear weaknesses. He may still be the future of this team and a future top goalie in the league, but he has some way to go. I'm just not a fan of singing praises when winning and damning guys while losing.

Mr Positive

Cap Crunch Incoming
Nov 20, 2013
ultimately, he was exposed a bit but not enough for the Ducks to think about upgrading in net. If this happens next season then I think things start getting interesting.

kk87

Feb 12, 2015
Waterloo, ON
Part of it is mental after that sharp angled goal that went in. Part of it is the D hanging him out to dry, but have to give some credit to the Hawks offense too

Yeah, that's a good point. After the third goal, Anaheim basically gave up on playing defense. I couldn't believe how many odd man rushes Chicago had tonight.

KingJoffrey

Jan 30, 2014
Game 5 was horrible, but in games 6 & 7 Ducks D left him alone and they let Hawks offence too much time and they had much better chances than previous games five games.

This was his second year in the league and people are already talking like he's done. Ofc majority of the Ducks fans just wants to see wonder kid in net and that's one reason why some fans are bit too harsh to him.

carter333167

Apr 24, 2013
He simply wasn't the same goalie in games 5-7.....rhythm and confidence seemed to leave him altogether.

The great goalies may occasionally throw up a bad game but they always seem to bounce back. Andersen didn't seem to bounce back after that putrid goal he gave up to Toews in game 5.

NikoEhlers

May 2, 2013
Aalborg, Denmark
I absolutely wouldn't (unless I'm getting Lundqvist/Price/Rinne/... back, which I obviously wouldn't get). I'm not saying I am sure that Gibson will be better than Andersen is. There's risks in projection going forward. I like Gibson's technical basis better than Freddie's, and believe it's a more likely basis for success in the league, but that doesn't itself seal anything. For now, Freddie's still the most proven goalie the Ducks have, and he is a starting caliber NHL goalie, which Gibson still has to even prove. And Freddie still has plenty of potential, in his own right, if he can polish his fundamentals further.

Obviously, I'm a bit down tonight, on him like on many. I'm really not saying anything different in this thread than I've been saying for months. He's a good goalie, with certain admirable strengths, but also certain clear weaknesses. He may still be the future of this team and a future top goalie in the league, but he has some way to go. I'm just not a fan of singing praises when winning and damning guys while losing.
I do agree with you on most points, and I give you credit for keeping your cool after a game 7 loss. Going forward I fear a goalie controversie will limit our possibilites of going far next year, I think it'll mess too much with a goalies psyche. I want that number one goalie to be named well before the playoffs, no more being "nice" to everyone

Oct 18, 2011
all i can hope for is gibson steals the job and runs with it, mental weakness in goalies doesn't usually go well in the playoffs

Vipers31

Advanced Stagnostic
Aug 29, 2008
Cologne, Germany
I do agree with you on most points, and I give you credit for keeping your cool after a game 7 loss. Going forward I fear a goalie controversie will limit our possibilites of going far next year, I think it'll mess too much with a goalies psyche. I want that number one goalie to be named well before the playoffs, no more being "nice" to everyone

I think this year's approach was good enough - as long as the goalie for the playoffs has the coach's trust going into that, that's the main thing. But yeah, knowing that role 5-10 games earlier might be more ideal, I'm with you. Through 65-70 games next year, we'll have plenty of time to evaluate our goalies, hopefully with fewer injuries between them, to make their rehab times make it less difficult. I'm not worrying about their psyche too much. Sure, goaltending is an incredibly mental game, but them facing the pressure of competition is only going to be a minor task compaired to facing the pressure in playoff hockey, so it's something they need to grow from. There's some things you cannot get eased into.

kk87

Feb 12, 2015
Waterloo, ON
He simply wasn't the same goalie in games 5-7.....rhythm and confidence seemed to leave him altogether.

The great goalies may occasionally throw up a bad game but they always seem to bounce back. Andersen didn't seem to bounce back after that putrid goal he gave up to Toews in game 5.

I agree, a goalie's ability to bounce back from a tough loss is one of the best indications of how good a goalie they really are. Despite some lacklustre defense displayed late in the series, he clearly wasn't up to the task, and didn't show much resilience. Of course, this could partially be attributed to youth and inexperience, but it was still a red flag to see such instability at this stage in the playoffs.

Keithsteeth

Nov 10, 2013
I didn't think Andersen played particularly poorly. Most of the Hawks goals were goals that any goalie would be hard pressed to stop. The Hawks have made guys like Rask and Quick look bad in the past; it happens

Kronwalled8*

Jul 30, 2014
Anderson is the type of goalie who would break his stick over his post if he wasnt happy with it (hes done this many times before).

The great goalies always keep their composure and shake things off and refocus mentally.

The perfect example is Kipprusoff. The guy always was able to shake off bad goals and refocus on the next shift. This is what made him as great of a goalie that he was. Great goalies will never let bad goals get to them.

kducks

Duck Off
Sep 19, 2007
OC
What happened to Lundqvist? He lost in Game 7 too? I love the blaming of the goalie when there was so many breakaways allowed by the team in front of him.

Puckstop40

Aug 23, 2009
Las Vegas, NV
His rebound control is horrible and he simply could not make the big stop for the Ducks. He really **** the bed the past 4 games. This was his shot to solidify himself as a true #1 and he didn't do it. Gibson is clearly the future.

kducks

Duck Off
Sep 19, 2007
OC
Anderson is the type of goalie who would break his stick over his post if he wasnt happy with it (hes done this many times before).

The great goalies always keep their composure and shake things off and refocus mentally.

The perfect example is Kipprusoff. The guy always was able to shake off bad goals and refocus on the next shift. This is what made him as great of a goalie that he was.

Why don't you try spelling his name correctly first and post these videos of Freddie losing his cool? He didn't lose his composure once during the playoffs.

Top 6 Spaling

Jun 23, 2010
Smashville

The perfect example is Kipprusoff. The guy always was able to shake off bad goals and refocus on the next shift. This is what made him as great of a goalie that he was. Great goalies will never let bad goals get to them.

Most people would say this guy was pretty good, and he was awfully firey.

There's no one-size-fits-all goalie attitude that is best. Everyone has to figure out whether they are at the top of their game playing in control or with emotion. Roy, Rask, and others have made it work when they're playing with passion. Kipper and others play a very mental game. It's all about personal preference.

Smokey McCanucks

PuckDaddy "Perfect HFBoard Trade Proposal 02/24/14
Dec 21, 2010
He was shaky all series, but Boudreau was too gun-shy with the hook after the gong show in nets against LA last year. How could he go to Gibson again after how it went down in that series? He was between a rock and a hard place and that's arguably why they lost.

Vipers31

Advanced Stagnostic
Aug 29, 2008
Cologne, Germany

Most people would say this guy was pretty good, and he was awfully firey.

There's no one-size-fits-all goalie attitude that is best. Everyone has to figure out whether they are at the top of their game playing in control or with emotion. Roy, Rask, and others have made it work when they're playing with passion. Kipper and others play a very mental game. It's all about personal preference.

Yeah, I was gonna bring up Roy, as well.

I personally take the cool and calm approach every day and swear by it myself, but these are individuals. Some people take strength out of anger and can use that to take them to their best, others function best in calmness. There's fair preferences, but there's no telling one way is simply superior.

Top 6 Spaling

Jun 23, 2010
Smashville
Yeah, I was gonna bring up Roy, as well.

I personally take the cool and calm approach every day and swear by it myself, but these are individuals. Some people take strength out of anger and can use that to take them to their best, others function best in calmness. There's fair preferences, but there's no telling one way is simply superior.

When I played, I erred on the Roy/Rask side. My goalie partner was like a frickin robot with no emotion at all. We both tried the other's mindset a couple times and got lit up. It's all about preference, one isn't better than the other.

JaegerDice

The mark of my dignity shall scar thy DNA
Dec 26, 2014
Andersen was fine.

Those expecting him to maintain something ludicrous like a .950-.970 SV% were bound to be disappointed. He exited the series with a .930, which is a playoff SV% a ton of teams would KILL for.

Crawford and the team in front of him were just a little bit better than Andersen and the team in front of him. That hardly makes him a disaster or a liability. It just makes him second best in a hotly contested WCF.

There are plenty of goalies with far worse epitaphs than that.

Vipers31

Advanced Stagnostic
Aug 29, 2008
Cologne, Germany
He was shaky all series, but Boudreau was too gun-shy with the hook after the gong show in nets against LA last year. How could he go to Gibson again after how it went down in that series? He was between a rock and a hard place and that's arguably why they lost.

What are people talking about with last year even? Andersen played against Dallas, then struggled, was relieved by Hiller in one game. Then went back to Andersen, who got injured, and he went with Gibson. It wasn't being gun-happy or putting on a "gong-show", it was reacting correctly to an injury.

Top 6 Spaling

Jun 23, 2010
Smashville
IMO, if you switch Crawford and Andersen in tonight's game, the score is almost exactly the same: whoever the Hawks had lets in ~3, and whoever the Ducks had lets in ~5. Andersen faced a much harder workload than Crawford. He wasn't the problem.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad