What's going on with Boston?

NoNachoNoParty

Dec 8, 2011
Montreal
Maybe Claude Julien whining about the reffing will help (yes, I know they are last in PP opportunities, I just find it ironic to hear the Bruins organization whine about reffing).

Maybe that's due to the lack of speed and skill in the line-up, because that's what draws penalties

mislysBB

Aug 6, 2013
Northeast
So the Bruins are the worst most unskilled, slowest team in the league for the last 3 years in a row?

Unskilled? No (maybe with this year being the exception so far), but I do think we are one of the slowest, if not the slowest team in the league. Aside from Marchand, and maybe Lucic when he puts forth the effort, we really don't have any players that have explosive jets, per se.

BudMovin*

Unskilled? No (maybe with this year being the exception so far), but I do think we are one of the slowest, if not the slowest team in the league. Aside from Marchand, and maybe Lucic when he puts forth the effort, we really don't have any players that have explosive jets, per se.

What?

Prince of Pop

Jan 22, 2014
Northern Ontario
They've gone into some bad games because they lost both Iginla and Thornton due to Free Agents and Boychuk due to a trade and the injury plague hurts them the most. If they hadn't got rid of those guys and if it wasn't for that stupid Salary Cap, they should've won at least 4+ games and wouldn't have bad games and that's what every teams want is to break them down so they won't be Cup contenders.

Unskilled and management whining? Are you'll freaking kidding me? They're not unskilled and those referees are just so incompetent making stupid @$$ calls like the one game with 2 goals called off they're such blind bats.

Last edited:

Rebels57

Former Flyers fan
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014
They've gone into some bad games because they lost both Iginla and Thornton due to Free Agents and Boychuk due to a trade and the injury plague hurts them the most. If they hadn't got rid of those guys and if it wasn't for that stupid Salary Cap, they should've won at least 4+ games and wouldn't have bad games and that's what every teams want is to break them down so they won't be Cup contenders.

Unskilled and management whining? Are you'll freaking kidding me? They're not unskilled and those referees are just so incompetent making stupid @$$ calls like the one game with 2 goals called off they're such blind bats.

That's a bold statement lol.

Rebels57

Former Flyers fan
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014
The Seguin trade has really set that organization back. That's as simple as it gets.

Lemons

Mar 26, 2008
Tukka Rask is extremely overrated. His reflexes are godlike and has amazing awareness but horrible between the ears. He easily gets rattled and is over emotional as a goalie.

Cory Trevor

Smokes, Let's go
Sep 23, 2009
Waltham
And honestly, I really don't care about the Seguin trade. With the exception of the excitement about the draft picks, I didn't care about the Kessel one either.

Johnny B on the other hand..

burstnbloom

Mar 10, 2006
The Seguin trade has really set that organization back. That's as simple as it gets.

This is such a dumb take. They fell apart against Montreal last year in the playoffs but won the President's trophy last year and had the best goal differential in the league POST Seguin trade. Their problems are far more complicated than this myopic talking point.

SanDogBrewin

Righteous bucks!
Jan 14, 2010
On a tasty wave
twitter.com

Heard that about the Thornton and Kessel trades as well. With health and a RW that can finish the Bruins can and will be competitive in the Eastern Conference playoffs.

Once PC brings a RW in there is only one team that can take out the Bruins in the East. Even from 2009-2014 I never thought the Bruins were a lock to come out of the Eastern Conference.

Still think both teams got what they wanted out of the trade. Hopefully all of Tyler's regular season scoring can help the Stars get into the playoffs this season.

bigbuffalo313

Apr 28, 2012
New York
Seguin scoring 1 goal in 22 playoff games the year before is a pretty big reason to doubt what he would have done.

Henrik Lundqvist first NHL playoffs: 0 wins 3 losses 13 goals against 4.41 gaa .835 sv%

Would you have traded him because you doubt what he could have done?

Dellstrom

Pastrnasty
May 1, 2011
Boston

You don't know what you're talking about. So that's as simple as it gets for you, I guess.

The Seguin trade was horrible but it is not the reason why we're doing so poorly. When we got rid of Seguin we replaced him with Iginla and we won the President's trophy.

We let Iginla go and replaced him with no one. Traded Boychuk and replaced him with no one, while Chara and Seidenberg are regressing. Our cap is a mess. Our offseason acquisition was Simon Gagne. Eriksson is our 2nd leading goal scorer, Smith started slow but he's capable of 50 points as he showed last season.

Again, the trade was horrible but it is not why we are struggling. If anything, that trade directly sets back our future. Not now. Chiarelli's stupid decisions have cost us. We lost core players and replaced them with Gagnes and Bartkowskis.

Budddy

Dec 9, 2008
Okanagan
Seguin scoring 1 goal in 22 playoff games the year before is a pretty big reason to doubt what he would have done.

Plus he didn't do much last year for Dallas in the playoffs....having said that he is still young and other players took some time to produce in the playoffs

burstnbloom

Mar 10, 2006
Henrik Lundqvist first NHL playoffs: 0 wins 3 losses 13 goals against 4.41 gaa .835 sv%

Would you have traded him because you doubt what he could have done?

Also this is a tangential point, but it was Seguin's third playoffs. 6G 12A in 42 games for the Bruins. It was a bad trade, you never want to give up the best player with the highest upside in a trade, but there were legitimate concerns about him as a playoff performer in Boston. The revisionist history is astounding.

That said, the issues are more about depth in the forward lines. The Bruins have been great because their secondary scoring is so much better than their opponents that the relentless attack wears teams down. Hence their third period dominance over the past 4/5 years. Most of that is gone now due to injury, regression of their top prospects, and limited flexibility due to the cap issues. Those are the real problems, not the Seguin trade.

wintersej

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 26, 2011
North Andover, MA
Plus he didn't do much last year for Dallas in the playoffs....having said that he is still young and other players took some time to produce in the playoffs

I have full faith that Seguin will become a playoff performer...but the Bruins were thinking about that Chara window, and by the time Seguin is that guy, Chara will be done. I think Seguin's career arc will be similar to Yzerman's. Hot shot scorer when young, full rounded with less scoring as a veteran. When he reaches that latter stage he will be capable of winning Cups. He isn't that guy now.

AtNightWeFly

You better run.
Jun 1, 2014
Upstate NY
"These are the best of times, these are the worst of times" immediately popped into my head upon reading the title.

Used to be a fun, bone-crushing team but now are a little on the boring side. They don't suck just yet so maybe a flashy young player can spice it up.

DoubleDouble*

Wow, out of nowhere, every Boston fan on the board suddenly thinks the Seguin trade isn't a big deal.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad