What's going on with Boston?

HuGo Sham

MR. CLEAN-up ©Runner77
Apr 7, 2010
Montreal
injuries/ageing of Chara, lack of depth and skill in bottom six. lack of quality young prospects, Lack of top line Winger...Some great pieces though in Krejci, Lucic, Bergeron, Hamilton, Rask.

Menzinger

Kessel4LadyByng
Apr 24, 2014
St. Paul, MN
Seguin scoring 1 goal in 22 playoff games the year before is a pretty big reason to doubt what he would have done.

And how old was he during that playoff run? Sometimes rookies struggle during their first playoff experiences.

They gave up on him way too early.

Markov4Captain

Dec 29, 2009
Montreal, QC
I just don't get how Boston lost patience with a 21 year old. That's the equivalent of the Habs trading Galchenyuk this season. Stupid move by Bruins management. They then decided to go ahead and trade Boychuck and hold onto to guys like Marchand and Lucic. As the days go by, Lucic and Marchand's values with lessen and people will start to realize that these guys aren't as great as they once were (esp. Lucic). Bruins management should be selling high on some of their veterans or they'll struggle with the cap for many years.

Garbage Goal

Apr 1, 2009
In terms of current roster players when your team ditches Kessel for Seguin/Hamilton, ditches Seguin for Eriksson/Smith, ditches Boychuck for nothing, loses Igina to FA, has Chara injured for a while, and ages without many substantial additions it's going to suffer. It's about that simple. Can't squander that level of an embarrassment of riches and expect it to not catch up.

DatsyukToZetterberg

Alligator!
Apr 3, 2011
Island of Tortuga
Seguin scoring 1 goal in 22 playoff games the year before is a pretty big reason to doubt what he would have done.

Datsyuk had poor playoffs up to the 06-07 playoffs, he was 28 when he finally "broke out" but had the Wings decided to trade him for depth there's no chance the would be a better team. It takes experience to learn how to play in the playoffs as the game has a different flow, a different feeling to it, and the way it's reffed is different as well. For a 21 year old to be traded because of one poor playoffs is crazy and very short sighted.

The Bruins should understand that 9 times out of 10 the team that trades the young star never comes out on top. The only reason it turned out so well after they traded Thornton was because they managed to hit on a string of 2nd round picks otherwise they would have likely joined the Oilers in a long rebuild.

SenzZen

RIP, GOAT
Jan 31, 2011
Ottawa
It's amazing those scouts still have jobs after being so wrong.

Wrong about what, exactly?

Chia asked for their read on trading Seguin- whom they all knew was very talented, and would return great assets. But they were in their "window" phase still, and found out they'd be losing their first line RW.

Can't expect people to predict Eriksson's play falling off a cliff and then running into head injuries.

Oh yeah- and Seguin hasn't proven them wrong, yet.

Dellstrom

Pastrnasty
May 1, 2011
Boston
Our troubles are NOT because of Seguin. Yeah, it hurts. But we won the President's trophy last year without him, while he was a PPG player in Dallas. Seguin is one of the top players in the league, will be for another 10 years, but we had 4 quality lines last year. Eriksson and Soderberg were on our 3rd line, we were so deep offensively. Then this year rolled along.

We got rid of Iginla and replaced him with no one. Oh, check that, Simon Gagne. Chara is regressing, and we helped that move along by trading Boychuk for picks, all the while knowing that Seidenberg wasn't going to be as good as he was years past due to his injury. We're banking on Seth Griffith and Craig Cunningham to come in and replace a first ballot hall of famer.

The Seguin trade sucked and it will continue to do so, but Smith and Eriksson are two key contributors on this team. It could have been a looooooooot worse. Chiarelli has single handedly destroyed this team's window by making stupid decisions like he did this offseason.

Chiarelli went all in last year, hoping that the cap would go up 4m, 5m, maybe 25 million, we would end up fine, and would get a Cup out of it. It didn't work, and now our team is suffering because of it. He gave NMCs to players like Kelly, and we had to trade Boychuk instead of him for it. Since we've been a playoff team for so long we don't have a ton of top-end talent in our system, Pastrnak is the only real player there with real 1st line potential. Svedberg and Subban are solid but we have Rask. Claude hates Spooner, who has great potential, because he's far too stubborn and does not accept players who do not fit his system like a glove. It's why Gregory Campbell is out there with 2 minutes left in a game where we're down by one. It's hard to admit, but unless Chiarelli and Claude change it real soon, this team's window is done and we might as well start a rebuild/retool while guys like Bergeron/Krejci/Rask are young and Hamilton has time to grow.

Kind of went off on a tangent, but tl;dr: this team's woes aren't because of the Seguin trade. It sucked, will continue to suck, but Smith and Eriksson are two important players on our team. Morrow is one of our few prospects with solid NHL potential. Chiarelli's idiotic moves like his NMCs, risky contracts, and stupid trades are what is causing this team to struggle and why our window will be shut if he doesn't do something about it soon.

alg363636

Boo
Apr 25, 2014
Washington, DC
Just to keep in mind: without trading Seguin I don't believe we could have signed Iggy. So there's that. Also, I agree 100% Seguin would have been our leading scorer, but he would not be winning the Art Ross or Richard Rocket here. Just a fact. He'd be on the wing with less minutes and PP time.

Besides that...yeah. Last year we were meant to win the Cup. We had a full roster, we won the PT, we were cap-****ed for the future. And we had the team to win it. Might have done it with a healthy Seidenberg. But our team **** the bed against Montreal and now we're in this limbo where we haven't won the cup we wanted so we need to keep trying to be competitive but our roster and cap aren't meant to win a cup and we regressed a LOT. It's kind of a disaster. Chia can't write the season off because we didn't win a cup yet so the Seguin trade is still a failure but if we try and go "all in" again we're probably just going to screw up our future more.

I do have to say, I'm still not sure why we're SO bad. I mean I knew we were going to regress, but what the hell? We should at least be in PO position. I think some of it has to do with guys like Ference, Thornton, Iginla and Boychuk all leaving within two off-seasons. What else, I don't really know. It's sad, really. I could still see them going on some epic win streak again and getting a place in the POs. And with the Bruins, as long as they're in anything is possible. But this is a grim place to be right now.

PatriceBergeron

Apr 7, 2014
MA
Just to keep in mind: without trading Seguin I don't believe we could have signed Iggy. So there's that. Also, I agree 100% Seguin would have been our leading scorer, but he would not be winning the Art Ross or Richard Rocket here. Just a fact. He'd be on the wing with less minutes and PP time.

Besides that...yeah. Last year we were meant to win the Cup. We had a full roster, we won the PT, we were cap-****ed for the future. And we had the team to win it. Might have done it with a healthy Seidenberg. But our team **** the bed against Montreal and now we're in this limbo where we haven't won the cup we wanted so we need to keep trying to be competitive but our roster and cap aren't meant to win a cup and we regressed a LOT. It's kind of a disaster. Chia can't write the season off because we didn't win a cup yet so the Seguin trade is still a failure but if we try and go "all in" again we're probably just going to screw up our future more.

I do have to say, I'm still not sure why we're SO bad. I mean I knew we were going to regress, but what the hell? We should at least be in PO position. I think some of it has to do with guys like Ference, Thornton, Iginla and Boychuk all leaving within two off-seasons. What else, I don't really know. It's sad, really. I could still see them going on some epic win streak again and getting a place in the POs. And with the Bruins, as long as they're in anything is possible. But this is a grim place to be right now.

I've always hated this logic by Chiarelli. So we basically gave up 15 years of Seguin to ensure our 1 year of Iginla? Even if they could have resigned him are we looking at 3 years max? Sure, I guess he still had the ability to score in the regular season(though it felt like 20% of his goals were empty nets), but I thought he was less than impressive for Pittsburgh in the year's prior playoffs. Didn't look that great to me for us in the postseason last year either. I think their "win now" strategy not only made the Bruins worse for the next 10+ years, it made them worse in the "now" that they seemed to focus the entire trade around.

Gargyn

Oct 19, 2006
Kelowna, BC
Slow team, very low on actual skill. Not one true offensive player in that lineup. Mix in lack of depth now and the top two lines are less effective. Poor management by Chiarelli. Terribly overrated gm.

wintersej

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 26, 2011
North Andover, MA
Reasons for losing:

1) Not having Chara and Krejci for large stretches hurts.
2) Losing Boychuk and Iginla.
3) Seidenberg was being counted on to replace Boychuk, and has arguably been our worst defenseman so far after missing most of last year.
4) The 4th line went from one of the best to below average over the past 24 months.
5) The young guys that the Bruins were hoping to add to the roster (most notably Spooner) just don't have the two way game yet to play on a Julien coached team, and instead lower ceiling guys like Cunningham, Griffith and Fraser are playing top 9 minutes.

Reasons for hope:

1) Krejci and Chara are back
2) Outside of Chara, the core is not old. Bergeron, Eriksson, Krejci, Lucic, Marchand, Smith, Soderberg are all in their 20s. All are scoring at below their normal pace. They will play better.
3) Hamilton, outside of the first week of the season and a couple games against Montreal and Toronto has played like a #1 at 21 years old and is visibly improving week to week.
4) Eriksson has really started to look like 60 point Eriksson again the last few weeks. Sometimes these concussion things take time.

How the Bruins can contend this year:

1) Chara, Krejci, Eriksson and Seidenberg all healthy and back to being themselves by the time the playoffs come
2) They get a top 6 winger to play with Lucic and Krejci and bump guys down into more appropriate roles.
3) Thats it.

LA couldn't score at all in the regular season, then made the Gaborik deal, got healthy and owned it. The Bruins are 100% capable of following that same path.

Estlin

Sep 25, 2013
New York City
Not even 1 1st out of that trade :help:

It kills me that Boston didn't get more from Dallas in that trade. I am fine with Morrow, Smith and Eriksson coming in the deal; however, instead of Fraser, the Bruins ought to have demanded one of: 2015 1st (currently a lottery pick); Oleksiak; Chiasson; Ritchie; or Nichuskin.

JS91

May 14, 2014
I think they are just underachieving as a team. They are used to the winning mentality after being a top team for the last few seasons and now suddenly they started losing more than winning. Doesn't exactly do wonders to the locker room attitude and the mindset of the players.
I still believe that they are going to pick it up and start playing like the Bruins again sooner or later this season.

Reign Nateo

Apr 28, 2003
Canada
Visit site
Maybe Claude Julien whining about the reffing will help (yes, I know they are last in PP opportunities, I just find it ironic to hear the Bruins organization whine about reffing).

Kitchener Boy

Apr 9, 2012
Kitchener
Maybe Claude Julien whining about the reffing will help (yes, I know they are last in PP opportunities, I just find it ironic to hear the Bruins organization whine about reffing).

I doubt it will help nobody is even close to there number of 78 opp.
And they are last every year

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad