What's going on in the US? Part 7 [Mod note in OP]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lshap

Hardline Moderate
Jun 6, 2011
Montreal
MOD NOTE: Reminder, this is NOT a political forum, political discussions will result in post deletion and/or warnings. Also, this thread is about what is happening in the U.S., not the rest of the world, we already have a general thread to discuss everything else, please keep this thread on topic.

Thanks

Previous thread

The Lighthouse

Aug 1, 2011
For anyone contending that New York employed "the Swedish model" to bring down cases and deaths in New York: no. The entire state was subject to varying degrees of strict lockdown, and regions could only reopen, slowly, once they demonstrated compliance with criteria including positive testing rates. It worked. The numbers are much lower now. We are now at the point that retail is open and restaurants can host 50% indoor capacity in some areas, and the numbers haven't yet risen significantly. We endured lockdown up front so that we could get on with reopening at a decent pace. We didn't lock down for a short time, complain about it, then reopen prematurely, which would've only extended the problems.

Nursing home deaths are tragic and an awful mistake but do not, by any means, paint the entire picture.

Last edited:

TheMoreYouKnow

May 3, 2007
38° N 77° W
I wonder if the Western states that get hit hard now first got the smaller "Asian" hit in March and then the lockdown measures brought that wave to a standstill but eventually they opened up, of course, and by that time the "European" hit from the East Coast had worked its way through the country to the West. I wonder what a genetic analysis of Covid cases in California from March vs cases from July would show in terms of the difference between the virus then and now.

KIRK

Aug 2, 2005
About those 85 infected children in Corpus Christi allegedly reported in one day . . .

Canales clarifies reports about local infant COVID numbers

That's the grand total for COVID overall. Out of 8171 total infections for the area.

"However, without this context, stating this number during our press conference led many to believe that we had a sudden surge in infants under the age of one testing positive. We have NOT had a sudden surge of 85 infants testing positive."

Sojourn

Nov 1, 2006
Meanwhile, in Florida . . . Workbook: Public

Current ICU beds availability is 19.47%, up from around 16% 11 days ago:

(Nearly 84% of Florida's ICU beds are filled amid rising coronavirus cases)

You might want to consider other portions of that article:

Ten counties have less than 10% of their ICU beds available.

Two counties have no ICU beds available.

The county which has the most cases has nine hospitals without any ICU beds. And there is an example where, at one hospital, patients have had to wait up to 24 hours to get a bed and there are staffing shortages.

Florida is a big state, but it's specific locations that are taking the brunt of it. You're being a bit misleading with your summary.

Lazlo Hollyfeld

The jersey ad still sucks
Mar 4, 2004
Does anyone have a link to that site where it broke down the numbers by county and had nice graphics on ICU capacity and risk factors and whatnot?

Milhouse40

Aug 19, 2010
480,755 new cases and 5,537 new deaths in the last 7 days in the U.S.
That's more cases than any country in the world except Russia and Brazil.

Fighting over masks, guidelines and even the reality of the pandemic.
Fighting between Mayor and Governor
Fighting between Governor and President
Fighting between Health Officials and the Government
Fighting between the News Medias Network

Everything is on the rise the right now.
The Flu season begins in 11 weeks.

The flu season will mean a ton more people to test, even people with simple cold will need to be tested.
All those people will need to isolate until they get the result. We all know many won't.

I hope for the best, but I don't have the best feeling about all of this situation.
Always thought that summer was the time to get ready, get prepare, to take a breath....well, the calm before the storm.

Now i'm only seeing a Perfect storm.....
Talking about storm, let's hope the Hurricane season, which is also in the next 15 weeks will be a slow one cause a Katrina type of storm in these conditions would be a complete nightmare.

dB2PWJ58f5pct6fuB9k6ivGxY_Y.gif

Raised Fist Republic

May 3, 2010
For anyone contending that New York employed "the Swedish model" to bring down cases and deaths in New York: no. The entire state was subject to varying degrees of strict lockdown, and regions could only reopen, slowly, once they demonstrated compliance with criteria including positive testing rates. It worked. The numbers are much lower now. We are now at the point that retail is open and restaurants can host 50% indoor capacity in some areas, and the numbers haven't yet risen significantly. We endured lockdown up front so that we could get on with reopening at a decent pace. We didn't lock down for a short time, complain about it, then reopen prematurely, which would've only extended the problems.

Nursing home deaths are tragic and an awful mistake but do not, by any means, paint the entire picture.
Only one tinfoil hat is making this ‘Sweden/NY claim’. It’s bunky bunk bunk and we all know it.

Reactions: The Lighthouse

dortt

Sep 21, 2018
Houston, TX
480,755 new cases and 5,537 new deaths in the last 7 days in the U.S.
That's more cases than any country in the world except Russia and Brazil.

Fighting over masks, guidelines and even the reality of the pandemic.
Fighting between Mayor and Governor
Fighting between Governor and President
Fighting between Health Officials and the Government
Fighting between the News Medias Network

Everything is on the rise the right now.
The Flu season begins in 11 weeks.

The flu season will mean a ton more people to test, even people with simple cold will need to be tested.
All those people will need to isolate until they get the result. We all know many won't.

I hope for the best, but I don't have the best feeling about all of this situation.
Always thought that summer was the time to get ready, get prepare, to take a breath....well, the calm before the storm.

Now i'm only seeing a Perfect storm.....
Talking about storm, let's hope the Hurricane season, which is also in the next 15 weeks will be a slow one cause a Katrina type of storm in these conditions would be a complete nightmare.

dB2PWJ58f5pct6fuB9k6ivGxY_Y.gif

The chance of a quiet hurricane season is slim to none, and slim left town a few years ago.

Could set up a situation like Easter (the massive tornado outbreak in the south) where people have to crowd into shelters to survive the storm and take their chances with the coronavirus

Reactions: Milhouse40

JacketsFanWest

Jun 14, 2005
Los Angeles, CA
For anyone contending that New York employed "the Swedish model" to bring down cases and deaths in New York: no. The entire state was subject to varying degrees of strict lockdown, and regions could only reopen, slowly, once they demonstrated compliance with criteria including positive testing rates.

The question about NYC is whether there is some level of herd immunity which has been reached in certain areas where the spread was not under control before the lockdown.

A clinic in a working class area of Queens had 68% of antibody test results come back positive. These are likely people who were essential workers and couldn't stay home during the lockdown.

In Hasidic neighborhoods, there's been arguments on social media that the Hasidic community shouldn't have to comply with social distancing rules because there aren't any more cases there. Hence, why they've been had a war with Mayor Bill de Blasio over whether their playgrounds should be shut-down back in June with the city bolting the playgrounds shut and a few minutes later, the bolts being cut - all with most not wearing masks.

Considering how quickly the virus could have spread through large families with live in close quarters and attend religious services 3 times a day with others, it's entirely possible that virus could have spread through those communities in the few weeks before the lockdown and herd immunity was reached. The spread might have been so great in those types of communities that the lockdown didn't do that much to help stop the spread since it went from community spread to household spread.

The nursing homes in NYC were hit very hard and there may be a point in which the staff reached a level of herd immunity which has created a protective shield around the current patients. And those patients which were most likely to die have unfortunately passed away. There could be new high risk patients added to those facilities, but families may decide to avoid placing their loved ones into nursing homes.

Areas which have better protected their nursing homes may have lower rate of infection of staff and more highly vulnerable patients than NYC does.

It's not necessarily Sweden, but three communities which were at high risk do already have perhaps sufficient immunity that it is providing a protective buffer. There were some groups of people where the curve wasn't flattened and there was mass spread before the lockdown was imposed.

Had the celebrations for the Jewish holiday Purim been cancelled, there might have been less spread in the Orthodox Jewish community, which included those who traveled from Montreal and Miami to NYC for the celebrations.

This is something the Jewish community in NYC is blaming for what caused the massive spread:
Despite coronavirus, Jewish residents in Brooklyn choose to celebrate Purim together - amNewYork
'I would have canceled': 3 weeks after Purim celebrations, coronavirus is hitting Jewish communities hard - Jewish Telegraphic Agency

Last edited:

Nac Mac Feegle

wee & free
Jun 10, 2011
Keep posting misleading articles and stats, last time you got dunked on for 2 straight pages.

If the pandemic has taught us one thing, it's how easy it is to grab hold of bits and pieces of incomplete data, and skewer them to fit whatever narrative a person wants.

If we ever wonder how so many seemingly intelligent folks can get sucked into the rabbit hole and become tinfoil hatters, we're seeing it happen in real time the last few months. In the not too distant future, a whole lot of academics will be writing papers on how various elements of society reacted to covid-19.

Snauen

Dec 27, 2017
If the pandemic has taught us one thing, it's how easy it is to grab hold of bits and pieces of incomplete data, and skewer them to fit whatever narrative a person wants.

If we ever wonder how so many seemingly intelligent folks can get sucked into the rabbit hole and become tinfoil hatters, we're seeing it happen in real time the last few months. In the not too distant future, a whole lot of academics will be writing papers on how various elements of society reacted to covid-19.
Yesh I agree. Do not think this is some new phenomenon though . Im no philosophist yet; Its likewise religion, some humans believe in this and others in that, especially when many things are uncertain. Society is run by humans. Theese are humans whit feelings, personal interests, under pressure from other humans and such. Not some neutral army of computers . No matter how correct they claim themselves to be. This apply on your "academics" folks and their papers too.

Still, whit all our flaws and idiocy Im happy we people run the show and not the computers, whit their stone-cold data of deaths and graphs and .. wait.. uh

CartographerNo611

Oct 11, 2014
What is the “Swedish model”?

Have 20 million people while being relatively isolated and keep everything open till the last minute. I think Hawaii maybe the only state that could attempt a version of the Swedish model If they shut down travel from mainland US.

TaLoN

Red 5 standing by
Sponsor
May 30, 2010
Farmington, MN
The pandemic didn't teach me that, being a sports fan did that years ago. People use stats selectively out of context to create a narrative, when other stats for said team or player directly contradict said narrative, yet individuals ignore those as they don't support their narrative.

The pandemic just expanded that selective stat use outside sports around here.

Sep 8, 2013
Toronto Nebula
The pandemic didn't teach me that, being a sports fan did that years ago. People use stats selectively out of context to create a narrative, when other stats for said team or player directly contradict said narrative, yet individuals ignore those as they don't support their narrative.

The pandemic just expanded that selective stat use outside sports around here.
Confirmation bias is strong among the people. Many don't even know they have it. It affects all of us in every aspect of our lives. Those aware of its existence and trained in logical, unbiased reasoning, can avoid it but sometimes it has a sneaky way of creeping into an argument.

Last edited:

Dubi Doo

Aug 27, 2008
Cuomo is threatening to close bars if people continue to break the rules. Apparently, many bars broke the rules recently. I was AWOL for the week, so I'm not sure of specifics.

Either way, it'd be surprising if he closed our bars as our percent positive rate has actually been trending down lately. From 1.4% in the beginning of July to 1.1% today (rolling 7-day averages). Which is surprising to me as I expected a slight spike from the 4th of July weekend.

Sojourn

Nov 1, 2006
Cuomo is threatening to close bars if people continue to break the rules. Apparently, many bars broke the rules recently. I was AWOL for the week, so I'm not sure of specifics.

Either way, it'd be surprising if he closed our bars as our percent positive rate has actually been trending down lately. From 1.4% in the beginning of July to 1.1% today (rolling 7-day averages). Which is surprising to me as I expected a slight spike from the 4th of July weekend.

Can understand his point though. We're seeing the result of sloppy efforts in other states. Just because it's okay now doesn't mean it can't take a turn if you let it continue.

Reactions: Eisen
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->