What's going on in the US? Part 16 [Mod note in OP]

Status
Not open for further replies.

dortt

Sep 21, 2018
Houston, TX
I don't disagree, but telling people in one place to mask up and telling people in another not to will just piss people off, we know this. We've seen this play out many times already at this point.

In low percentage vaccinated areas, it's a good idea to mask up, for everyone.

In high percentage vaccinated areas, no mitigation is really needed anymore.

That is the message that should be out there.

I wouldn't even tell those to mask up in the lower vaccinated areas. I would simply present the data to them and show that the vaccines are the protections.

The vaccines, I see are like seat belts. The masks are more like air bags. Air bags aren't going to do much if you are flying through the windshield because you didn't wear a seat belt.

For workers working all day in grocery stores? I could see in that scenario where a mask would help things out some due to prolonged exposure daily. But not for someone spending 30 minutes a week there

Factorial

Oct 7, 2019
1. Government should not be able to mandate vaccinations on private businesses, unless it's for public agencies, hospitals, etc.

The government can mandate vaccinations in the US:

In 1901 a deadly smallpox epidemic tore through the Northeast, prompting the Boston and Cambridge boards of health to order the vaccination of all residents. But some refused to get the shot, claiming the vaccine order violated their personal liberties under the Constitution.

One of those holdouts, a Swedish-born pastor named Henning Jacobson, took his anti-vaccine crusade all the way to the U.S. Supreme Court. The nation's top justices issued a landmark 1905 ruling that legitimized the government’s authority to “reasonably” infringe upon personal freedoms during a public health crisis by issuing a fine to those who refused vaccination.

When the Supreme Court Ruled a Vaccine Could Be Mandatory

Reactions: BowieSabresFan

flyfysher

Mar 21, 2012
why is why we need to be emphasizing vaccines and doing everything to get people to get them.

Not wasting time with masks or things that do not work nearly as well as a vaccine.

And the media... they need to be punished for these click bail headlines. They are making it seem like the Delta variant is running rampant among the vaccinated, when the opposite is true. The vaccines are crushing it. If we had more provincetowns where the vast majority of the people were vaccinated, this virus would be dead quickly

I don't think the media is underplaying the vaccines. If anything, they have promoted it.

I also disagree with your assertion that we should not be wasting time with masks or things that do not work nearly as well as a vaccine. Your stance comes off as incredibly thoughtless and foolish because if vaccines ever prove ineffective, then what's your fallback position to protect people? Crossing your fingers? That's been my real disagreement with you on this position since day one.

Real leaders try to lead people to promote safety measures across the board all of the time. Not just rely on one measure as you would have us do.

And yes, people should get vaccinated.

metalan2

May 30, 2008
Nothing. Deaths lowest ever, mild sickness. So of course threaten to close businesses if they don't ask patrons for their papers.

These are good vids if you want to see the exact opposite of what is happening in the US.

Devilsfan992

Apr 14, 2012
More people in Nebraska, Iowa and Florida are vaccinated than Illinois for your I didn't expect that stat of the day.

HabsAddict

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
:banghead:

In the first video.....none of them were vaccinated.

And who's fault is that?

image.jpg

These anit-vaxxers are beating my compassion out of me.....:banghead:

TaLoN

Red 5 standing by
Sponsor
May 30, 2010
Farmington, MN
I wouldn't even tell those to mask up in the lower vaccinated areas. I would simply present the data to them and show that the vaccines are the protections.
I disagree. We saw what happens without mitigation in low vaccination areas in Missouri. If people aren't vaccinated, mitigation is still needed during an outbreak.

Dubi Doo

Aug 27, 2008
It’s going to be interesting to see how NYC handles the new vaccination guidelines. The French population was not happy. I have to think there will be protesting over the new guidance.

Mar 1, 2002
Last edited:

Sep 8, 2013
Toronto Nebula
Logic, rational thinking, clear evidence - majority of unvaccinated Americans don't want anything to do with them.

The unvaccinated still think Covid vaccines are a risk, survey finds - CNN

Just over half of Americans who remain unvaccinated against Covid-19 still believe the vaccine is more dangerous than the coronavirus -- despite overwhelming evidence to the contrary, according to a new survey published Wednesday.

Unvaccinated adults still also largely believe the news media have exaggerated the severity of the pandemic, and are less likely than vaccinated adults to wear a mask in public, according to the ongoing Kaiser Family Foundation survey.

This mass lunacy is even more dangerous and the virus pandemic as it is not confined to decisions about vaccination.

Reactions: Blender

Devilsfan992

Apr 14, 2012
That is totally untrue.

U.S. COVID-19 vaccine tracker: See your state's progress

Illinois, over 6,000,000 totally vaccinated

Nebraska TOTAL population is less than 2,000,000.
Iowa TOTAL population is 3,000,000

So Illinois has more people vaccinated than actually LIVE in those state combined.

I'm sorry for not being so clear, but I thought it was assumed it was percentage of the population. A larger part of Nebraska's and Iowa's population are fully vaccinated than Illinois's.

upload_2021-8-4_9-3-12.png

Mar 1, 2002
Michigan/Iowa/Nebraska/Illinois all right next to each other just 1% difference? Same region, same %.

Northeast numbers similar MA/VT/ME/CT/RI.....

Mid-Atlantic similar....NJ/MD/NY/DC/VA

Devilsfan992

Apr 14, 2012
Michigan/Iowa/Nebraska/Illinois all right next to each other just 1% difference? Same region, same %.

Northeast numbers similar MA/VT/ME/CT/RI.....

Mid-Atlantic similar....NJ/MD/NY/DC/VA

The point is there is a pattern where states which are politically leaning one way are getting vaccinated at a much higher rate than those the other way. This is not the case for Illinois.

flyfysher

Mar 21, 2012
I watched a WJAX news video on YouTube yesterday. They were reporting on Covid-19 deaths in Florida.

They said previously at its worst in the pandemic, the death toll reached 200 deaths/day in Florida. Now, they said they are experiencing about 60 deaths/day in the State. So that's positive news about our health system preventing unbelievable mortality as a result of the Delta variant like that which occurred in India.

But let's put those 60 deaths/day in Florida in perspective.

In March of 2021, a mass murder was committed in Boulder, Colorado. 10 people were killed. That was national news for days on end even though we have mass shootings all of the time now in the USA.

Yet, we have the equivalent of six mass shootings in a single state, Florida, each day! That's just one state.

We were averaging around 300 deaths/day nationally recently until it started rising. That's the equivalent of a fully loaded plane crash with all lives lost. Each day! Remember the stink about the Boeing 737MAX? That was just two planes. Yet, we're supposed to ignore these Covid-19 deaths now? I don't think so.

And these deaths are all avoidable if people would just get vaccinated, wear a face mask and socially distance.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->