What's going on in the US? Part 16 [Mod note in OP]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Viqsi

"that chick from Ohio"
Oct 5, 2007
40N 83W (approx)
Next up!

MOD NOTE: Reminder, this is NOT a political forum, political discussions will result in post deletion and/or warnings. Also, this thread is about what is happening in the U.S., not the rest of the world, we already have a general thread to discuss everything else, please keep this thread on topic.

Thanks

Prior thread: What's going on in the US? Part 15 [Mod note in OP]

dortt

Sep 21, 2018
Houston, TX
Mario_is_back!! said:
You also complained about still having to wear a mask on flights. I flew last month and had zero issue wearing it. Maybe sit “personal responsibility” arguments out, chief.

Uh, the others on the plane can get the vaccine as I did, if they are so worried. My first or business class experience should not be compromised out of worry I may spread a virus to someone who refused the vaccine.

Parents should also be responsible. If they have a child more vulnerable to the virus, perhaps keep them off planes

Last edited:

Devilsfan992

Apr 14, 2012

Lt Dan

F*** your ice cream!
Sep 13, 2018
Behind you
youtu.be
Giant collective OOF in 3.....2......1

OOOF!
upload_2021-8-3_9-22-13.png

TaLoN

Red 5 standing by
Sponsor
May 30, 2010
Farmington, MN

There were 60,000 visitors to Provincetown during the period in question. That would translate to 57,000 vaccinated folks and 3,000 unvaccinated folks.

How many tested positive for Covid? Current reports say about 750 vaccinated folks and 250 unvaccinated.
This means that 750/57000 vaccinated folks tested positive, or 1.3%. 250/3000 unvaccinated folks tested positive, or 8.3%. Being vaccinated gave you a more than 6-fold protection against Covid than being unvaccinated. This is similar to the protection figures published in the early spring of 2021, before the Delta variant had any impact in this country.
What about the hospitalizations? 6 vaccinated cases were hospitalized, out of 750 cases. That’s 0.8% of cases. Historically, 5% of Covid cases have resulted in hospitalization in the US. That’s a nine-fold improvement!

PromisedLand

I need more FOOD
Dec 3, 2016
Hogwarts

its a shame but this is what scares me. rest of the world needs to get vaccines. i am always afraid that eventually the virus might mutate further and be even more pain in the ass than the delta virus.

about 8 billion people on the planet. It wont be that easy to get it done but there is always hope I guess

Reactions: Milhouse40

dortt

Sep 21, 2018
Houston, TX

why is why we need to be emphasizing vaccines and doing everything to get people to get them.

Not wasting time with masks or things that do not work nearly as well as a vaccine.

And the media... they need to be punished for these click bail headlines. They are making it seem like the Delta variant is running rampant among the vaccinated, when the opposite is true. The vaccines are crushing it. If we had more provincetowns where the vast majority of the people were vaccinated, this virus would be dead quickly

TaLoN

Red 5 standing by
Sponsor
May 30, 2010
Farmington, MN
why is why we need to be emphasizing vaccines and doing everything to get people to get them.

Not wasting time with masks or things that do not work nearly as well as a vaccine.

And the media... they need to be punished for these click bail headlines. They are making it seem like the Delta variant is running rampant among the vaccinated, when the opposite is true. The vaccines are crushing it. If we had more provincetowns where the vast majority of the people were vaccinated, this virus would be dead quickly
Not dead, just not worth being all that concerned about.

dortt

Sep 21, 2018
Houston, TX
Let me get this straight, the CDC wants us to mask because 6 out of 57,000 vaccinated people had to be hospitalized in provincetown? SIX?

Is the CDC a division of the Onion or something? They made it seem like Provincetown was something really bad, when the actual data shows a major validation of the vaccines

Unfortunately that's a guesstimate based on demographic by the author it appears. I haven't seen anything specific myself.

Those numbers make sense as the NE beach towns become very highly populated during the summer, and are near ghost towns with a few hundred to few thousand locals during the winter

TaLoN

Red 5 standing by
Sponsor
May 30, 2010
Farmington, MN
Let me get this straight, the CDC wants us to mask because 6 out of 57,000 vaccinated people had to be hospitalized in provincetown? SIX?

Is the CDC a division of the Onion or something? They made it seem like Provincetown was something really bad, when the actual data shows a major validation of the vaccines

Those numbers make sense as the NE beach towns become very highly populated during the summer, and are near ghost towns with a few hundred to few thousand locals during the winter
I mentioned this before, but the CDC is trying to put out one message to a nation where the stage of the pandemic is not a one solution situation due to such disparring vaccination coverage.

People rip the CDC for inconsistency during a dynamic situation requiring lots of changes, then when they try to put out a single response for all, they get ripped again.

Damned if they do, damned if they don't.

Their goal is to help get the nation through this one way or another, and right now they're resorting to fear to encourage vaccination...

Fear seems to be what everyone resorts to these days about everything.

It's tiring, but it's been building to this for so long, it's all anyone responds to anymore.

Devilsfan992

Apr 14, 2012
Here's my opinion on everything. I'm trying to be as fair as possible. I'm looking not only at public health, but allowing people to make their own personal health choices, as well as the health of local businesses .

1. Government should not be able to mandate vaccinations on private businesses, unless it's for public agencies, hospitals, etc.
2. Government should be able to close our border to non-vaccinated people.
3. Government should not be able to ban private businesses from enforcing masks, vaccine cards, etc for both employees and customers.
4. Government should be allowed to give guidance to private businesses and people.
5 Private Insurance companies should be allowed to charge you more if you're not vaccinated.
6. Government, Insurance, Employers etc. should be liable for financial issues in case of any complications from vaccination.
7. In the case of a public emergency, ala Florida or Louisiana, State or Local government should be allowed to override #3. I'm not sure NYC applies here.

upload_2021-8-3_13-30-22.png

upload_2021-8-3_13-29-46.png

dortt

Sep 21, 2018
Houston, TX
I mentioned this before, but the CDC is trying to put out one message to a nation where the stage of the pandemic is not a one solution situation due to such disparring vaccination coverage.

People rip the CDC for inconsistency during a dynamic situation requiring lots of changes, then when they try to put out a single response for all, they get ripped again.

Damned if they do, damned if they don't.

Their goal is to help get the nation through this one way or another, and right now they're resorting to fear to encourage vaccination...

Fear seems to be what everyone resorts to these days about everything.

It's tiring, but it's been building to this for so long, it's all anyone responds to anymore.

A good one message the CDC could have put out is that the data from Provincetown validates the earlier effectiveness studies of the vaccines showing that they provide >80 percent protection from the virus. Nearly 1 in 10,000 people who were vaccinated ended up in the hospital

Use the data we had to prove conclusively that the vaccines are what provide the protection. Masks are not going to provide anywhere near as much protection as the vaccines will

TaLoN

Red 5 standing by
Sponsor
May 30, 2010
Farmington, MN
A good one message the CDC could have put out is that the data from Provincetown validates the earlier effectiveness studies of the vaccines showing that they provide >80 percent protection from the virus. Nearly 1 in 10,000 people who were vaccinated ended up in the hospital

Use the data we had to prove conclusively that the vaccines are what provide the protection. Masks are not going to provide anywhere near as much protection as the vaccines will
I don't disagree, but telling people in one place to mask up and telling people in another not to will just piss people off, we know this. We've seen this play out many times already at this point.

In low percentage vaccinated areas, it's a good idea to mask up, for everyone.

In high percentage vaccinated areas, no mitigation is really needed anymore.

That is the message that should be out there.

Reactions: Dubi Doo

Devilsfan992

Apr 14, 2012
I also wonder how the NYC mandate will impact the black community, specifically small businesses within those communities. Only 38% of the black population is fully vaccinated.

upload_2021-8-3_13-40-27.png

Reactions: PromisedLand

Lt Dan

F*** your ice cream!
Sep 13, 2018
Behind you
youtu.be
Here's my opinion on everything. I'm trying to be as fair as possible. I'm looking not only at public health, but allowing people to make their own personal health choices, as well as the health of local businesses .

1. Government should not be able to mandate vaccinations on private businesses, unless it's for public agencies, hospitals, etc.
2. Government should be able to close our border to non-vaccinated people.
3. Government should not be able to ban private businesses from enforcing masks, vaccine cards, etc for both employees and customers.
4. Government should be allowed to give guidance to private businesses and people.
5 Private Insurance companies should be allowed to charge you more if you're not vaccinated.
6. Government, Insurance, Employers etc. should be liable for financial issues in case of any complications from vaccination.
7. In the case of a public emergency, ala Florida or Louisiana, State or Local government should be allowed to override #3. I'm not sure NYC applies here.

View attachment 459018

View attachment 459016
200.gif

Reactions: Devilsfan992
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->