What's going on in the US? Part 15 [Mod note in OP]

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Hanging Jowl

Apr 2, 2017
The area i live? Twin Cities Metro area in Minnesota, all the metro counties have 75% or higher vaccination for those 16+.

Also getting close to 50% for those in the 12-15 age group.

Minnesota overall is getting close to 70% for 16+ age group, but it's great that the population center is already past that.

Where I live (Ontario) we just passed 9M fully vaccinated out of 13M people. That's 70% of *all* our population, not just eligible. Considering that means every single vulnerable person plus every person that wants to be vaccinated and children under 12 have a miniscule risk, we should drop just about every restriction.

TaLoN

Red 5 standing by
Sponsor
May 30, 2010
Farmington, MN
Where I live (Ontario) we just passed 9M fully vaccinated out of 13M people. That's 70% of *all* our population, not just eligible. Considering that means every single vulnerable person plus every person that wants to be vaccinated and children under 12 have a miniscule risk, we should drop just about every restriction.
Yes, no reason for restrictions there.

We've had zero restrictions in Minnesota for quite some time now. No mask mandates anywhere or anything.

If it wasn't for the fact that everyone just knows there's a Pandemic still, you'd not really know it in day to day life otherwise.

The Hanging Jowl

Apr 2, 2017
Yes, no reason for restrictions there.

We've had zero restrictions in Minnesota for quite some time now. No mask mandates anywhere or anything.

If it wasn't for the fact that everyone just knows there's a Pandemic still, you'd not really know it in day to day life otherwise.

Yup. My opinion is at some point we have to stop looking at the case counts and simply monitor the hospitalizations. That's the real harbinger of trouble IMO and can't be manipulated at all like the death counts. If hospitalizations start to rise dramatically, then you have to step in and control it, but not just because case counts go up. This thing's going to be with us for a long time.

There's no way to sustain lockdowns indefinitely so there has to be a reasonable measure before we put more people out of business. It's going to really suck if hospitals start to fill up in highly vaccinated regions though. The next few weeks are going to mean a lot. Looking at the UK, I'm very hopeful.

TaLoN

Red 5 standing by
Sponsor
May 30, 2010
Farmington, MN
Yup. My opinion is at some point we have to stop looking at the case counts and simply monitor the hospitalizations. That's the real harbinger of trouble IMO and can't be manipulated at all like the death counts. If hospitalizations start to rise dramatically, then you have to step in and control it, but not just because case counts go up. This thing's going to be with us for a long time.

There's no way to sustain lockdowns indefinitely so there has to be a reasonable measure before we put more people out of business. It's going to really suck if hospitals start to fill up in highly vaccinated regions though. The next few weeks are going to mean a lot. Looking at the UK, I'm very hopeful.
That's the exact advice from Mayo Clinic and University of Minnesota health experts have been advising the State of Minnesota this past month. High vaccinated regions like we have, cases alone are irrelevant. Monitor the hospitalizations instead. We're in the learn to live with it stage of the pandemic.

Devilsfan992

Apr 14, 2012
Sounds like NYC won’t be implementing a mask mandate, but they will recommend them.

Coronavirus Update NYC: City issues 'strong recommendation,' stops short of mask mandate

Yup just watched the conference. Seems like the city wants to still give vaccinated people some type of incentive to be vaccinated over non-vaccinated. The recommendation states that masks are not required if you are sure everyone in the indoor setting is vaccinated.

The chair of health committee Mark Levine disagrees with De Blasio's decision. I'm not really sure what Mark Levine does as he never seems to be on board with the city's decisions. He is pushing for a mandate.

Lt Dan

F*** your ice cream!
Sep 13, 2018
Behind you
youtu.be
The red is spreading
upload_2021-8-2_8-45-6.png

On the vaccine front, welcome to dark ass blue CT
upload_2021-8-2_8-46-7.png

Viqsi

"that chick from Ohio"
Oct 5, 2007
40N 83W (approx)
only about 300 breakthrough infections out of 212,000

I'd say that is proof these vaccines are working incredibly well then. Something like .1% of those fully vaccinated contracted the virus.

Why exactly are we freaking out over the Delta variant?
In my case, despite literally everyone in my family (immediate and extended) above the age of 13 having been vaccinated, I'm worrying because my uncle is going to be going into treatment for cancer and so will be on an immunosuppressive regimen.

Also worried about hospital capacity. Accidents can and do happen, and if there's no space because of antivax Darwin Award competitors, that's a serious issue.

Lt Dan

F*** your ice cream!
Sep 13, 2018
Behind you
youtu.be
In my case, despite literally everyone in my family (immediate and extended) above the age of 13 having been vaccinated, I'm worrying because my uncle is going to be going into treatment for cancer and so will be on an immunosuppressive regimen.

Also worried about hospital capacity. Accidents can and do happen, and if there's no space because of antivax Darwin Award competitors, that's a serious issue.
I may have some good news there. My dad has cancer and has had it through the pandemic.
Many of the hospitals, if not most , have sequestered cancer treatments so their patients are as far from any possible covid exposure as possible.
I hope it is the case for him, and obviously best wishes that this is as easy as possible on him as well as the rest of your family

Last edited:

Montag DP

Sabres fan in...
Apr 4, 2007
...Maryland
I may have some good news there. My dad has cancer and has had it through the pandemic.
Many of the hospitals, if not most , have sequestered cancer treatments so their patients are as far from any possible covid exposure as possible.
I hope it is the case for him, and obviously best wishes that this is as easy as possible on him as well as the rest of your family
Similar experience for my mother-in-law, except she thankfully finished her cancer treatments last fall.

Reactions: Lt Dan

Montag DP

Sabres fan in...
Apr 4, 2007
...Maryland
Florida's getting smacked. Even the 65+ group which is heavily vaccinated is getting hit hard.

View attachment 458753
Some good news is that I just checked my state and county, and I'm noticing an uptick in first-dose vaccinations where it had seemed to have leveled off before. Maybe the delta variant is causing some people to rethink their position.

Edit: I also checked Missouri and Louisiana, and it's a similar story. This could be really good news.

Devilsfan992

Apr 14, 2012
Some good news is that I just checked my state and county, and I'm noticing an uptick in first-dose vaccinations where it had seemed to have leveled off before. Maybe the delta variant is causing some people to rethink their position.

Edit: I also checked Missouri and Louisiana, and it's a similar story. This could be really good news.

Depends how you look at it. But yes, the Delta variant is definitely pushing the on-the-fencers to get it, especially in southern states.

Reactions: canucksfan

Montag DP

Sabres fan in...
Apr 4, 2007
...Maryland
Depends how you look at it. But yes, the Delta variant is definitely pushing the on-the-fencers to get it, especially in southern states.
Here are a few examples (CA, LA, MD, MO, NY, WY). We'll see how long the trend continues. I know there are plenty of people who have made up their minds and won't change it for any reason.
california.png louisiana.png maryland.png missouri.png wyoming.png

SensibleGuy

Nov 26, 2011

Not to be a debbie dower, but are you sure about that? I'm pretty sure Ontario is right around 61% total population fully vaxxed...

Reactions: Beau Knows
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->