What's going on in the US? Part 14 [Mod note in OP]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Devilsfan992

Apr 14, 2012
According to Worldometer, deaths are down 41% from the month of June! Will the trend continue, or will Delta cause deaths to flatten?

Reactions: Dubi Doo

Dubi Doo

Aug 27, 2008
This is why it's so important that areas hit a high threshold of their population vaccinated:
Data: Delta variant is not sparking mass hospitalizations in England

"Data from June 21-27 documented 1.91 hospitalizations per 100,000 new cases, staying basically unchanged from the previous week’s rate of 1.92 hospitalizations per 100,000 new cases. "
Hospitalizations will likely increase a bit since case numbers are still increasing in the UK, but the fact they've stayed steady for this long is a good sign that they will not increase dramatically.

Unfortunately, I'd assume many of those lowly vaccinated states aren't getting to enough of those middle aged adults to see a similar outcome as the UK, though I am unable to find state specific numbers on those age 30+ and are vaccinated.

Reactions: epskate

flyfysher

Mar 21, 2012
Unfortunately, I'd assume many of those lowly vaccinated states aren't getting to enough of those middle aged adults to see a similar outcome as the UK, though I am unable to find state specific numbers on those age 30+ and are vaccinated.

I am closely watching my state’s numbers in terms of Delta variant infections, localities, vaccinations, hospitalizations and mortality. We are really just in the beginning phase of this and should have a much clearer picture in the next 4-6 weeks.

Lt Dan

F*** your ice cream!
Sep 13, 2018
Behind you
youtu.be
OOOOOOOOOF!
Remember when we were 3-3 within the last 2 weeks?

11-3 now

upload_2021-7-2_9-12-30.png

The good news here is that the baby blue is shrinking
upload_2021-7-2_9-14-5.png

and yes I am going here

UglyPuckling

May 14, 2021
According to Worldometer, deaths are down 41% from the month of June! Will the trend continue, or will Delta cause deaths to flatten?
The one graph I saw (Washington Post I think) looked like deaths (7-day average) were already flattening in roughly the last half of June. It was a little hard to tell because the timeline went back to the beginning of the pandemic (March 2020), so it was a large graph and the flat part of the line (the far right of the graph which represents June) that represented the 7-day average was kind of short. Hope I'm wrong about this. Maybe someone else noticed this or already posted it?

Lt Dan

F*** your ice cream!
Sep 13, 2018
Behind you
youtu.be
The one graph I saw (Washington Post I think) looked like deaths (7-day average) were already flattening in roughly the last half of June. It was a little hard to tell because the timeline went back to the beginning of the pandemic (March 2020), so it was a large graph and the flat part of the line (the far right of the graph which represents June) that represented the 7-day average was kind of short. Hope I'm wrong about this. Maybe someone else noticed this or already posted it?
Deaths are the most difficult metric to track. They are the least timely and the past is often adjusted upward retroactively

I personally track hospitalizations the most . I think it is the most timely and accurate metric

Reactions: voxel

UglyPuckling

May 14, 2021
Deaths are the most difficult metric to track. They are the least timely and the past is often adjusted upward retroactively

I personally track hospitalizations the most . I think it is the most timely and accurate metric

I track all of the metrics (cases, hospitalizations, deaths), but the point you mentioned has merit.

Based on reading various articles, I do see that a few states (counties/regions might be more accurate) are seeing some increase in hospitalizations and hospital officials have noted that its because of the Delta variant and that its effecting younger adults. Not too surprising, its in locations where vaccination rates are low. I'm not saying its widespread at this time, but it seems like this is something to watch closely which I expect officials are in fact doing.

The map you show (top of #933), are they using hospitalizations as one of their metrics or criteria for ranking & color coding?

Update - I looked it up. So it appears the Covid Act Now site tracks ICU capacity but not hospitalization. See the excerpt from the website below.

Risk levels & key metrics

Covid Act Now uses six key metrics to assess COVID across U.S. states, metros, and counties. Three of these—daily new cases (incidence), infection rate (RT) and positive test rate—assess a location's overall risk level. The other three—ICU capacity used, % vaccinated and vulnerability—reflect a location's ability to protect itself and recover from COVID. Below, learn more about each metric and how it is assessed.

Last edited:
Reactions: Lt Dan

Lt Dan

F*** your ice cream!
Sep 13, 2018
Behind you
youtu.be
I track all of the metrics (cases, hospitalizations, deaths), but the point you mentioned has merit.

Based on reading various articles, I do see that a few states (counties/regions might be more accurate) are seeing some increase in hospitalizations and hospital officials have noted that its because of the Delta variant and that its effecting younger adults. Not too surprising, its in locations where vaccination rates are low. I'm not saying its widespread at this time, but it seems like this is something to watch closely which I expect officials are in fact doing.

The map you show (top of #933), are they using hospitalizations as one of their metrics or criteria for ranking & color coding?
This is the site
U.S. COVID Risk & Vaccine Tracker

This is how they explain their metrics
U.S. COVID Risk & Vaccine Tracker

UglyPuckling

May 14, 2021
You are very welcome. I like that site mostly because it is easy.
We were really close to an all yellow US and well.....the delta variant has crash our party
Yes, you are right about that.

I just took a look at the COVID ACT NOW website and noticed that Texas turned orange. Just lovely, but not surprising.

TaLoN

Red 5 standing by
Sponsor
May 30, 2010
Farmington, MN
Minnesota hasn't reached 60% vaccination yet, but the good news is the Twin Cities metro area, it's mostly around 70% or better. Thus the overall protection is probably better than the State color on the map indicates.

Population centers are much more important vaccination total-wise than rural areas...I just wish those in rural areas wouldn't be so complacent though.

Reactions: Summer Rose

Lt Dan

F*** your ice cream!
Sep 13, 2018
Behind you
youtu.be

I just took a look at the COVID ACT NOW website and noticed that Texas turned orange. Just lovely, but not surprising.
It is happening in a lot of places

California is yellow , but it's population centers have gone orange
upload_2021-7-2_10-28-36.png
upload_2021-7-2_10-34-22.png

This is my county about 3.2 million people . We are orange on the map for risk and the middle blue for vacc

20210702_103221.jpg

20210702_103252.jpg

Reactions: UglyPuckling

HabsAddict

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site

Covid act now...interesting site.

I think R values is one if the best indicator for our fight against covid. Sadly, it's rarely used.

Devilsfan992

Apr 14, 2012
Covid act now...interesting site.

I think R values is one if the best indicator for our fight against covid. Sadly, it's rarely used.

R value needs to used with context as it can be > 1 even when cases are very low. It's definitely important though to follow.

Devilsfan992

Apr 14, 2012

I haven't seen the graph, but this should be expected as the scale of the graph takes into account huge drops from the peak. A drop from 3000 --> 1500 is the same as a drop from 400 --> 200. One is more visible than the other.

In other news, we're under 250 deaths for the 1st time since the pandemic started.

UglyPuckling

May 14, 2021
I haven't seen the graph, but this should be expected as the scale of the graph takes into account huge drops from the peak. A drop from 3000 --> 1500 is the same as a drop from 400 --> 200. One is more visible than the other.

In other news, we're under 250 deaths for the 1st time since the pandemic started.
Yes, that's true. When you have really big numbers, a significant drop is very easy to spot because the line pitches downward in a very visible way. When you have much smaller numbers and much smaller deltas (either up or down), the differences/trends are harder to spot. That is why I took a pretty cautious tone in my post. I think I saw that graph in here a few pages back (iirc) btw.

I think we all hope that what is being observed in post #945 and the resulting concerns that health officials have doesn't become more widespread in the fall. Personally I'd feel more comfortable if vaccination percentages were higher i.e., rather safe than sorry. For states to have just a 35 - 40% vaccination rate (fully vaccinated) at this point in time (6 1/2 months after vaccines were first started) I'd think is underwhelming.

DarrenBanks56

May 16, 2005
85 teens, staffers get coronavirus at summer camp that didn't require masks or check vaccine status

The pandemic isn't over people... especially for those who are not vaccinated. A summer super spreader event that could've been avoided if people would just get vaccinated...
my 8 year old just had the flu for a week.
and its because the summer camp didnt have masks for teachers or kids.
all school year no viruses. then boom. one week at camp and shes sick. not covid tho. That was the first they tested her for. that and strep.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->