What's going on in Sweden? Part 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jussi

Feb 28, 2002
Mojo Dojo Casa House
How do you commonly travel between Sweden/Finland vs. Sweden/Germany? Which has more avenues, general population flow, and travel time? Please enlighten.

I wasn't talking about travel, I was talking about being literal neighbors with a common borders. You're the one who brought up travel as poor attempt at deflecting because you're flat out wrong.

blankall

Jul 4, 2007
I wasn't talking about travel, I was talking about being literal neighbors with a common borders. You're the one who brought up travel as poor attempt at deflecting because you're flat out wrong.

Borders would imply travel or at least some connection between the countries, which is relevant to the discussion at hand. Yes, Finland and Sweden have a land crossing that no one uses. What's your point? How does that relate to Covid? My point is that Sweden has far more in common and is far more connected to places like Germany, Denmark, Norway, and Poland than Finland. Arbitrarily only comparing to Sweden to other "Nordic" countries is exactly that, arbitrary.

Reactions: feffan

Jussi

Feb 28, 2002
Mojo Dojo Casa House
Borders would imply travel or at least some connection between the countries, which is relevant to the discussion at hand. Yes, Finland and Sweden have a land crossing that no one uses. What's your point? How does that relate to Covid? My point is that Sweden has far more in common and is far more connected to places like Germany, Denmark, Norway, and Poland than Finland. Arbitrarily only comparing to Sweden to other "Nordic" countries is exactly that, arbitrary.

Ok, you're totally clueless on the subject.

blankall

Jul 4, 2007
Ok, you're totally clueless on the subject.

Am I? The Sweden/Finland border is not only located in the far North of both countries, but rivers also runs almost all of the border. There are only a few point where you can cross the rivers.

The only major "land" crossing is the Tornio/Haparanda one. How many people do you think actually use it? It's a 12 hour drive from Stockholm to Tornio and another 8.5 hours from Haparanda to Helsinki. As the vast majority of the Swedish population lives in the Southern area of Sweden, who exactly is using this border crossing?

Okay...this is getting way off topic. I think I've made my point, and will drop this subject.

Jussi

Feb 28, 2002
Mojo Dojo Casa House
Am I? The Sweden/Finland border is not only located in the far North of both countries, but rivers also runs almost all of the border. There are only a few point where you can cross the rivers.

The only major "land" crossing is the Tornio/Haparanda one. How many people do you think actually use it? It's a 12 hour drive from Stockholm to Tornio and another 8.5 hours from Haparanda to Helsinki. As the vast majority of the Swedish population lives in the Southern area of Sweden, who exactly is using this border crossing?

Okay...this is getting way off topic. I think I've made my point, and will drop this subject.

No you haven't. There are many people travelling just to work on both sides of the border daily.

Minister: Border rules should take Tornio's unique situation into account

Every day, around 10,000 people cross the Finnish-Swedish border in Tornio, northern Finland.

You should just admit defeat, do 10 000 hail Selännes and do your research better next time.

Last edited:

blankall

Jul 4, 2007
No you haven't. There are many people travelling just to work on both sides of the border daily.

Minister: Border rules should take Tornio's unique situation into account

You should just admit defeat, do 10 000 hail Selännes and do your research better next time.

10000/day is not very much, and many of the people are daily crossers in the two small town commuting. Your applying the specific situation of the residents of Tornio to the whole of Sweden.

Does it help if I make snide remarks about research abilities too?

Save this one for the geographers!!!!ohh!!!!

Wanderson

Aug 1, 2011

If you don’t live in the very north of Sweden you’re not going to use that border crossing, that’s true. People use the ferries from Stockholm instead.

If you live in the southern or western parts of Sweden you are very unlikely to visit Finland at all. Most of us go to Denmark and Norway instead, I suppose.

Reactions: blankall

Snauen

Dec 27, 2017
If you don’t live in the very north of Sweden you’re not going to use that border crossing, that’s true. People use the ferries from Stockholm instead.

If you live in the southern or western parts of Sweden you are very unlikely to visit Finland at all. Most of us go to Denmark and Norway instead, I suppose.
Time to repeat stuff again;. There are 1million people in Sweden whit either one parent or two or themselves completely from Finland. This is 10% of the total population. They live all over Sweden. Of course most of them want to go to Finland at times. And their relatives in Finland wants to come to Sweden and visit them at times too. In Finland some 6% of the population grow up speaking Swedish. Wich make Finland a two-language country. If you go to a store and read on a product, the text is in Finnish and Swedish. You want more "proof" of connections between the two countries? Finland was a part of Sweden for like 500 years to the 19th century.

Fatass

Apr 17, 2017
Time to repeat stuff again;. There are 1million people in Sweden whit either one parent or two or themselves completely from Finland. This is 10% of the total population. They live all over Sweden. Of course most of them want to go to Finland at times. And their relatives in Finland wants to come to Sweden and visit them at times too. In Finland some 6% of the population grow up speaking Swedish. Wich make Finland a two-language country. If you go to a store and read on a product, the text is in Finnish and Swedish. You want more "proof" of connections between the two countries? Finland was a part of Sweden for like 500 years to the 19th century.
Any news on what Sweden will be doing for vaccinations? Have you guys pre bought vaccines, and is the (proposed) roll-out in the news yet?

Snauen

Dec 27, 2017
Any news on what Sweden will be doing for vaccinations? Have you guys pre bought vaccines, and is the (proposed) roll-out in the news yet?
They have pre- bought them all , I think. They will begin with the elderly and risk-groups, around new year , they say.

Reactions: Luckylarry

Wanderson

Aug 1, 2011

It thought it was obvious to everyone that people with family and friends (and business) in Finland have different travel habits. Just like ethnic Swedes do not visit Iran, but if you have relatives there, you visit the country often.

However, there are approximately 725 000 people in Sweden who have ties to Finland - not 1 000 000. The majority live in northern or eastern Sweden. Borås and the counties around the city is the exception.

Här bor sverigefinländarna - se kartan - Sveriges Radio Finska

Snauen

Dec 27, 2017
It thought it was obvious to everyone that people with family and friends (and business) in Finland have different travel habits. Just like ethnic Swedes do not visit Iran, but if you have relatives there, you visit the country often.

However, there are approximately 725 000 people in Sweden who have ties to Finland - not 1 000 000. The majority live in northern or eastern Sweden. Borås and the counties around the city is the exception.

Här bor sverigefinländarna - se kartan - Sveriges Radio Finska
Alright my bad , I got the number 950000 from somewhere. Maybe many have moved back then? After all, most of them came for work in the 60s-70s. Well the message has gone thru anyways, lots of people travel between the countries, and not tourists only obviously.

Anyone keen on discussing the long border between Norway and Sweden too? Impressive work by both Norway and Finland to keep the Corona-numbers down, despite the closeness and all the connections to Sweden.

Last edited:
Reactions: CarlWising

blankall

Jul 4, 2007
Alright my bad , I got the number 950000 from somewhere. Maybe many have moved back then? After all, most of them came for work in the 60s-70s. Well the message has gone thru anyways, lots of people travel between the countries, and not tourists only obviously.

Anyone keen on discussing the long border between Norway and Sweden too? Impressive work by both Norway and Finland to keep the Corona-numbers down, despite the closeness and all the connections to Sweden.

Yes it helps to be a sparsely populated country that has a massive wealth fund create by, what most countries consider to be unethical, offshore oil drilling.

Snauen

Dec 27, 2017
Yes it helps to be a sparsely populated country that has a massive wealth fund create by, what most countries consider to be unethical, offshore oil drilling.
Ok, I think I understand you better now. Still dont agree . Dont think its their money (No matter how they got it) saving them from the virus. Its their abillity to take action against it and fast. Regarding population; 85% of the Swedes live in urban areas, 75% in Finland and 82% in Noway . All three countries are scarcely populated whit Sweden 25 persons per kvm Finland 18 and Norway 15. Denmark has 137, The Netherlands 510 people per quarter kilometer.

Last edited:

blankall

Jul 4, 2007
Ok, I think I understand you better now. Still dont agree . Dont think its their money (No matter how they got it) saving them from the virus. Its their abillity to take action against it and fast. Regarding population; 85% of the Swedes live in urban areas, 75% in Finland and 82% in Noway . All three countries are scarcesly populated whit Sweden 25 persons per kvm Finland 18 and Norway 15. Denmark has 137, The Netherlands 510 people per quarter kilometer.

We've posted this before:

fixnnfmgc0y31.png

Norway is clearly less populated. They also have an economy that is based on harvesting large amounts of oil from the ocean, which as stated most countries ban for environmental reasons. So Norway can literally shut everything else down and afford to pay their entire population.

Sweden has a visibly much denser population, and their economy is far more diverse and tied to the EU as a whole. The two are not good comparables.

Snauen

Dec 27, 2017
We've posted this before:

fixnnfmgc0y31.png

Norway is clearly less populated. They also have an economy that is based on harvesting large amounts of oil from the ocean, which as stated most countries ban for environmental reasons. So Norway can literally shut everything else down and afford to pay their entire population.

Sweden has a visibly much denser population, and their economy is far more diverse and tied to the EU as a whole. The two are not good comparables.
Sigh! Put that map over rest of Europe and it will be mostly white. Gave you the numbers of both density and urbanity, in the post before.. There are some regions. Like the Oslofjord region , Mälardalen (Stockholm and surroundings) , the Helsinki area and greater Copenhagen that seem more reasonble to compare actually, not the entire countries. And the Stockholm-region is way worse of , hit by Covid, compared to the other larger city regions in the Nordic/Scandinavia. And if we compare the rural areas, Swedes are worse of there than in rural Finland or Norway. We could go on forever about this´, you seem to have a comprende problem about most things, dont you?

romelson

Dec 19, 2007
Ornskoldsvik
Must be the least trafficked border within the EU by a mile. I'm from central Sweden and I don't know anyone who's been up there. Not much to see I would think, just huge distances.

I have been to this border crossing a couple of times. Claiming the traffic there is huge is quite an exaggeration.

Jussi wrote that people commute across the border between the two tiny small-towns Haparanda and Tornio. That is true.
However, it also is a fact that Haparanda had zero covid cases through the summer making Haparanda the least hit town in Sweden.
The daily commuters bringing covid to Finland during the summer? Not buying that one.

By the way, I feel great compassion for my finnish "brothers of snus". Im lying here on my sofa in solitude with a raging pandemic outside. But hey, at least I have no shortage of snus!

The peculiar Haparanda "Snus-shops" are on their knees from losing their finnish customers.
Coronaviruset slår hårt mot snushandeln i Haparanda

Reactions: JBeast and Franck

IslesNorway

Apr 9, 2007
Nittedal, Norway
Sigh! Put that map over rest of Europe and it will be mostly white. Gave you the numbers of both density and urbanity, in the post before.. There are some regions. Like the Oslofjord region , Mälardalen (Stockholm and surroundings) , the Helsinki area and greater Copenhagen that seem more reasonble to compare actually, not the entire countries. And the Stockholm-region is way worse of , hit by Covid, compared to the other larger city regions in the Nordic/Scandinavia. And if we compare the rural areas, Swedes are worse of there than in rural Finland or Norway. We could go on forever about this´, you seem to have a comprende problem about most things, dont you?

I feel sad for Sweden because its plight was unnecessary and now that the government is finally realising the error of its ways hopefully things will improve shortly. I miss going to Charlottenberg or Strømstad for some cheap beer, candy and food :thumbu:

Last edited by a moderator:

blankall

Jul 4, 2007

So you're saying there's a direct link between how populated a place is and how badly they got by covid? Shocking?

For someone who is making statements about my ability to comprehend, you've just stating exactly my point.

Snauen

Dec 27, 2017
So you're saying there's a direct link between how populated a place is and how badly they got by covid? Shocking?

For someone who is making statements about my ability to comprehend, you've just stating exactly my point.
No Im not. Read again. It depends on what country you happen to live in. Rural Sweden bad. Rural Finland better. Urban Sweden bad. Urban Norway better etc.. Sweden bad , especially this spring. Other Nordic countries= less virus. Got it now? Its ok if you dont undsrstand and cant help it. English isnt my first language either, Im sure I look like a fool sometimes with some stuff I write here, too old to care much about that though.

blankall

Jul 4, 2007
No Im not. Read again. It depends on what country you happen to live in. Rural Sweden bad. Rural Finland better. Urban Sweden bad. Urban Norway better etc.. Sweden bad , especially this spring. Other Nordic countries= less virus. Got it now? Its ok if you dont undsrstand and cant help it. English isnt my first language either, Im sure I look like a fool sometimes with some stuff I write here, too old to care much about that though.

So you're saying that rural areas near more densely populated urban areas are more likely to have higher covid rates? Hence your comment about the rest of European being "mostly white". Basically, as you get less connected to the dense parts of Europe you are less likely to see Covid....I agree.

Snauen

Dec 27, 2017
So you're saying that rural areas near more densely populated urban areas are more likely to have higher covid rates? Hence your comment about the rest of European being "mostly white". Basically, as you get less connected to the dense parts of Europe you are less likely to see Covid....I agree.
Yes kind of agree. The whiter the map gets the more difficult to keep the virus in check, when comparing "western world" developed countries . Therefore the Nordics and places like Canada have been succesfull in comparison. Sweden the exception of course.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->