Whats going on at defence?

tmlfan98

No More Excuses #MarnerOut
Aug 13, 2012
Hockey's Mecca
What we're probably gonna do is try Phaneuf at LD at the beginning of the season with these d-pairings:

Phaneuf-Polak
Gardiner-Robidas
Rielly-Granberg
Percy

Then if Phaneuf sucks at LD (which he probably will), we're gonna switch them up to look like this:

Gardiner-Phaneuf
Rielly-Robidas
Percy-Polak
Granberg

Teeder9

Free rent for Mo?
Oct 14, 2011
Ontario
What we're probably gonna do is try Phaneuf at LD at the beginning of the season with these d-pairings:

Phaneuf-Polak
Gardiner-Robidas
Rielly-Granberg
Percy

Then if Phaneuf sucks at LD (which he probably will), we're gonna switch them up to look like this:

Gardiner-Phaneuf
Rielly-Robidas
Percy-Polak
Granberg

Percy isn't ready for the NHL, especially playing him 7th. Granberg, Holtzer and MacWilliam should have the 6 and 7 spots if Franson is gone

Kubus

Jun 22, 2014
Hopefully we are improving. I am excited to see that they want to give Jake a bigger role. Hope he can take the ball and run with it.

GoonieFace

Jun 24, 2013
The Matrix
It sounds like they refer to our top 4 as Phanuef, Gardiner, Rielly and Robi

Gardiner - Phaneuf
Rielly - Robidas

Do not put Gardiner with Phaneuf. This will ruin Gardiner. Phaneuf has no clue how to play coverage in his own zone, this will not help Gardiner one bit.

Kubus

Jun 22, 2014
Do not put Gardiner with Phaneuf. This will ruin Gardiner. Phaneuf has no clue how to play coverage in his own zone, this will not help Gardiner one bit.

If Gardiner can succeed with Phaneuf he can succeed with anyone.

Sink or Swim. :laugh:

GoonieFace

Jun 24, 2013
The Matrix

Guess you really dont watch the games. Phanuef in a nutshell:

-Master of the one hand poke check, seems to require a guide dog
-Constantly jumps out of the way of hits, coughing up the puck in the process
-Gets outbattled 1 on 1 quite a bit for a guy his size
-Does not clear the front of the net at all

Putting Reilly or Gardiner with Phaneuf is the exact wrong thing to do. they need to play with somebody more defensively responsible, so they can do what they are good at.

buttman*

Who is going to play with dion phaneuf. I like the short term additions of robidas, not a fan of trading gunner for polak but we will have to wait and see willing to give it a shot but who plays with phaneuf? Right now I am thinking the lineup would look like this

Phaneuf xxxx

Robidas Reilly

Polak Gardiner

So we have a huge gap to fill to play with phanuef. I know they tried to sign boyle short term which would have been a good fix for a short term but clearly we cannot put franson back there and I don't think robidas can handle all those mins. Right now for what the leafs have I guess the lone choice would be jake gardiner. But does RC give him that chance after jumping on the guy. Do u think there are any quick fixes or trade opportunities they can make to get phaneuf a pairing partner. And if not if it is gardiner are you ok with the leafs bringing in a guy like volchekov? A guy as slow as he is but blocks shots, hits and plays pk playing him on the bottom pair with a guy like a Reilly, or would it just be franson back their with him?

Expect Gardiner to start seeing time there.

Gardiner Phaneuf
Rielly Robidas
Franson Polak

unless Franson is dealt expect him to be in the lineup.

Commander Clueless

Hiya, hiya. Pleased to meetcha.
Sep 10, 2008
As risky as playing Gardiner or Rielly with Phaneuf might be, I really want to see Percy make the team.

Gardiner/Rielly-Phaneuf
Gardiner/Rielly-Robidas
Percy-Polak
Granberg

Realistically, Percy and Granberg will probably battle it out for that spot, and may the best man for the job win.

Percy-Polak just seems like a great pairing in the making.

leburn98

Jan 28, 2013
If we don't want to use Percy, MacWilliam or Granberg (or they are determined to be not NHL ready), and assuming that Franson will be traded, would anyone be against signing Volchenkov to a cheap 1-year deal (say 1-year @ 2M). I know he has had his share of injury woes in recent years, but he is defensively solid and fairly good on the penalty kill.

Gardiner-Phaneuf
Rielly-Robidas
Volchenkov-Polak

Ricky Bobby

Aug 31, 2008
Franson had an off year, but to give up on him would be idiotic. I'm not sure why people are kind of writing him off by not expecting him to play, but come October he will probably be playing top 4 minutes.

Franson is only good on the PP with his shot but sucks at everything else.

Rielly + Gardiner can handle more PP minutes + Robidas brings a big shot from the point and Nonis has mentioned they see him playing on the PP already.

There are only so many PP/offensive minutes to go around. Expect Franson to be traded to fill other holes in the roster.

Ricky Bobby

Aug 31, 2008
If we don't want to use Percy, MacWilliam or Granberg (or they are determined to be not NHL ready), and assuming that Franson will be traded, would anyone be against signing Volchenkov to a cheap 1-year deal (say 1-year @ 2M). I know he has had his share of injury woes in recent years, but he is defensively solid and fairly good on the penalty kill.

Gardiner-Phaneuf
Rielly-Robidas
Volchenkov-Polak

I would much rather bring Ranger back and hope he continues to progress.

Volchenkov would make Gleason or Hal Gill look like Olympic level speedskaters.

gabeliscious

Jan 8, 2009

Gardiner-Phaneuf
Rielly-Robidas
Volchenkov-Polak

we clearly arent going to be very good this year, why spend money on an old, injury ridden type of player. i also think polak and the v train would be a nightmare together. how would they clear the zone.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad