Whatever happened to.....?

Status
Not open for further replies.

CBJ goalie

May 19, 2005
London, Ontario
I'm thinking of guys that were seemingly in their prime, and seemed to just disappear.
Craig Janney? - I loved this guy, I thought he was a hard worker, I always remember him on the Sharks, battling a couple of Flames defenders behind the net and kicking the puck out with his foot to Whitney, who puts it home past Kidd.

Darren Turcotte? - I thought he was a good player with the Rangers and the Whalers, had some potential - then gone.....

Jimmy Carson? - whoa, where did this guy go? He had an AMAZING start to his career, was a 50 goal scorer, involved in the Gretzky trade - did he just lose his confidence and retire? Last I heard he was on the Canucks on their magical run to the Finals in '94, although he only played 2 games, both in the first round.

Anyone else you can think of or want to comment on?

I'm talking about guys that fell of the face of the earth, not guys that had somewhat of a career but then retired due to age or injury, etc.

HABitual

Mar 1, 2002
Kirkland Lake, Ontar
Visit site
marknuck311 said:
I'm thinking of guys that were seemingly in their prime, and seemed to just disappear.
Craig Janney? - I loved this guy, I thought he was a hard worker, I always remember him on the Sharks, battling a couple of Flames defenders behind the net and kicking the puck out with his foot to Whitney, who puts it home past Kidd.

Darren Turcotte? - I thought he was a good player with the Rangers and the Whalers, had some potential - then gone.....

Jimmy Carson? - whoa, where did this guy go? He had an AMAZING start to his career, was a 50 goal scorer, involved in the Gretzky trade - did he just lose his confidence and retire? Last I heard he was on the Canucks on their magical run to the Finals in '94, although he only played 2 games, both in the first round.

Anyone else you can think of or want to comment on?

I'm talking about guys that fell of the face of the earth, not guys that had somewhat of a career but then retired due to age or injury, etc.

I believe Darren Turcotte retired due to injury

God Bless Canada

Jul 11, 2004
Bentley reunion
Turcotte was a real band-aid. He showed a lot of potential early in his career, including 66 points in his rookie year and at least 53 points in his first four years. But he battled injuries and never played more than 70 games after 92-93. (He did miss only one game in the lockout year). Also seemed to lose the offensive touch and speed that he showed in New York.

Janney was as soft as a padded room in an asylum. He was a gifted playmaker, one of the best I've ever seen. A strong puckhandler, too. He really brought out the best in stronger, power forward types like Shanahan and Neely. But he wouldn't hit, he wouldn't play defence, and his attitude left a lot to be desired. He wore out his welcome in a lot of cities. He really went downhill in a hurry, too, from a guy who was a top-notch playmaker to out of the NHL in three years.

Jimmy Carson is one of the great mysteries over the last 20 years. I attribute it to two things: attitude and skating. His heart never seemed to be really into the game after he was traded from LA. He was a floater, he was inconsistent and at times he looked like he didn't care. He's another guy who didn't provide much of a physical presence. He also wasn't known for his skating ability, and after he suffered a serious knee injury with Detroit in 1990, and his skating was even worse afterwards.

VanIslander

A 19-year ATDer on HfBoards
Sep 4, 2004
South Korea
Sergio Momesso?

He left my Canucks and disappeared shortly thereafter.

Forever fondly remembered in Vancouver. A career that seemed to have fizzled out overseas in Germany (but not before registering over a point-per-game average there).

CBJ goalie

May 19, 2005
London, Ontario
VanIslander said:
Sergio Momesso?

Yes, another great example - boy, was Momesso good in the Canucks Cup run back in '94 - he was like our 'Bertuzzi' then.

Pat Falloon is another guy, last team I believe he was on was the Flyers?
Whitney and him were supposed to be 'the' duo for the Sharks - at least Whitney panned out.

barfy2000

Jun 23, 2005
Whitby, Ontario
marknuck311 said:

i remember someone around here said it best

"Jimmy Carson is the textbook case of tremendous skill, no desire"

He didnt exactly enjoy playing hockey (id assume it was somewhat similar to Daigle's case, his father pushing and pushing him to succeed), and even though he was good at it, he obviously couldnt keep the charade up long enough to forge a career. Its a shame really.

Heres a little where are they now article:

http://www.detnews.com/2002/wings/0211/20/w02-14299.htm

Last edited:

Bring Back Bucky

May 19, 2004
Canadas Ocean Playground
marknuck311 said:
Yes, another great example - boy, was Momesso good in the Canucks Cup run back in '94 - he was like our 'Bertuzzi' then.

Pat Falloon is another guy, last team I believe he was on was the Flyers?
Whitney and him were supposed to be 'the' duo for the Sharks - at least Whitney panned out.

Falloon had later stops with the Sens, Oil and Pens. He was a member of one of the teams in the final 4 of the canadian senior tourney last year I believe, along with Theo Fleury and maybe Gino Odjick also on teams in the running.

stugotz

Mar 17, 2004
What about Jim Carey the goalie for washington i believe, what ever happened to him?

Squiddy*

Oct 24, 2005
Houston, Texas
Sergio Memesso... Now that's a name I never heard in a long time! A few others that come to mind are Sergei Krivokrossof, Kris King, Baumgartner, Kevin Dineen, and Joel Otto. Anyone else have memories of playing NHL 93 and seeing these names after your score along with the Whistling horn in the game, the referee's whistle and the organ music?

GB

Mar 6, 2002
UK
HABitual said:
I believe Darren Turcotte retired due to injury
Turcotte used to part-own, and run in the off-season, a hockey card shop in Ontario. He may still own it, I don't know.

justsomeguy

Sep 2, 2004
Kevin Dineen turned 42 last week. He is coaching with Portland of the AHL.

Sergio Momesso has gone into the family business. Opened a second outlet of his family's restaurant empire. Plays from time to time for the Habs Oldtimers, did a bit of coaching for Concordia University a few years ago. Has a charity golf tournament.

Zetterberg4Captain*

What ever happened to Dmitri Bykov. I know he has only played one season in 2001-2002 I think but im wondering where he is now and why he left (not good enough, injury, did'nt want to play anymore) ETC.

O'shizzle

Oct 21, 2005
Detroit
Carson came from a very wealthy family. That might have had something to do with his lack of desire. Not that there's anything wrong with that. If your hearts not in, give it up.

KariyaIsGod*

Pat Falloon does play on a men's league team now in Manitoba. I wish I could remember the name of the town that he plays in so you folks could go watch, but I can't. I'll try and remember for later...

brianscot

Jan 1, 2003
Halifax, NS
Visit site
I believe Ken Baumgartner went to Harvard business school and now works in investments for Goldman-Sachs in Los Angeles.

When Baumgartner was playing for the Bruin's, Gord Kluzak (who was retired but still living in the area) invited Baumgarnter to sit in on one of his classes at Harvard and the rest is investment management history.

Anyone wanna dispute his fee for services?

O'shizzle

Oct 21, 2005
Detroit
Anyone remember that CD Ken Baumgartner put out years ago? It was called "Bomber." I found a copy at a garage sale a couple years ago and bought it. Listened to it once, and then put it away. It hasn't seen the light of day since.

mcphee

Feb 6, 2003
Visit site
barfy2000 said:
i remember someone around here said it best

"Jimmy Carson is the textbook case of tremendous skill, no desire"

He didnt exactly enjoy playing hockey (id assume it was somewhat similar to Daigle's case, his father pushing and pushing him to succeed), and even though he was good at it, he obviously couldnt keep the charade up long enough to forge a career. Its a shame really.

Heres a little where are they now article:

http://www.detnews.com/2002/wings/0211/20/w02-14299.htm

At the time,my cousin taught in the high school in Mtl. that the anglophone Jr. players would attend. In subsuquent years he taught Lafontaine and Carson. I remember him telling me how intelligent and classy Carson was and he didn't have the same kind words for Lafontaine. It turns out that my cousin was a better math teacher than evaluator of hockey talent. Further,Lafontaine always has been the epitome of class . I guess he sucked at math.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad