Whatever happened to... Ryan O'Marra

lakai17

Aug 10, 2006
As for Sam Gagner, he needs to turn his career around in a hurry or he'll be another Patrick O'Sullivan in the AHL in 18 months.

It sounds all well and good to say, 'oh, he's only 22 and 40 points isn't bad' but the fact is that for the icetime he's been getting 40 points IS bad. Awful, in fact.

Gagner was one of the worst players getting top-6 icetime in the NHL last season, doesn't produce at the level required for his role, and is poor defensively on top of that. Completely ineffective player who if he can't improve his production significantly soon will see his NHL career go down the drain.

yeah right buddy....look at how brutal the oilers have been lately...if they didn't do so poorly and had depth they could have developed him in the minors or AHL for seasoning....look at how Logan Couture was brought up to the NHL due to San Jose having depth on offense, did it hurt Gagner going straight to the NHL after the draft? not one bit and now well get to see him flourish with the linemates Edmonton have to provide him with now a days. A lot of upside.

McRpro

Cont. without supporting.
Aug 18, 2006
Clown World
Gagner has something all those other guys don't and more.

Sam has NHL bloodlines. He also has a wicked shot: top 10 for accuracy, top 5 for release Nhl wide.

He has some of the most powerful crossovers of any player in this draft, not to mention the best stop.

You say "...but Pat Kane." and I counter with that they were teammates in junior, and not too far apart in skill level. Who is better? Its not clear, but I have a strong feeling Gagner comes back this year and shows people. I see him as a post lockout mike peca, if he puts on enough upper body strength he has the hockey iq to throw some devasting hits. Combine that with his skill and shot, and its a no brainer.

This is one of the most asinine, as well as comical things I've ever read on Hfboards. Please don't paint all Oiler fans as being THIS delusional. :laugh:

PS: BTW I hear Alex Semin is taking fighting lessons. The next Brashear maybe?? :P

Dr Good Vibes

Jan 18, 2010
This is one of the most asinine, as well as comical things I've ever read on Hfboards. Please don't paint all Oiler fans as being THIS delusional. :laugh:

PS: BTW I hear Alex Semin is taking fighting lessons. The next Brashear maybe?? :P

Sam Gagner only recently discovered the new Jr. Erkin "arm excercises". They significantly increase the arm and shoulder muscles of any player. I don't understand it, I'm no science, but it dramatically improves forearm and shoulder strength. Its no stretch to imagine he can lay people out now. He has the same build as mike richard, and size doesn't hold back nathan gerbe from a physical game. In the post lockout nhl, players of a smaller stature can be devastingly physical.

Eytinge

Jul 25, 2009
Sam Gagner only recently discovered the new Jr. Erkin "arm excercises". They significantly increase the arm and shoulder muscles of any player. I don't understand it, I'm no science, but it dramatically improves forearm and shoulder strength. Its no stretch to imagine he can lay people out now. He has the same build as mike richard, and size doesn't hold back nathan gerbe from a physical game. In the post lockout nhl, players of a smaller stature can be devastingly physical.

What are you on about? Just because Richards and Gagner are the same height does not mean Gagner can play the same game that Mike does.:help:

Dr Good Vibes

Jan 18, 2010
What are you on about? Just because Richards and Gagner are the same height does not mean Gagner can play the same game that Mike does.:help:

I don't know why not? He's got explosive power when he's crouch down low, so much kinetic energy in between his legs. That can manifest as breakaways, or KOs on unsuspecting opponents. In 5 years, sam gagner will lead the league in hits and leadership.

Eytinge

Jul 25, 2009
I don't know why not? He's got explosive power when he's crouch down low, so much kinetic energy in between his legs. That can manifest as breakaways, or KOs on unsuspecting opponents. In 5 years, sam gagner will lead the league in hits and leadership.
And how does one quantify leadership? :p:

Dr Good Vibes

Jan 18, 2010
And how does one quantify leadership? :p:

He's got a dad who played in the nhl, and I heard he bag skates himself if he doesn't score a goal. That's leadership. Bag skates himself to vomiting just to make a point.

Also, he has great hair.

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004
Gagner has something all those other guys don't and more.

Sam has NHL bloodlines. He also has a wicked shot: top 10 for accuracy, top 5 for release Nhl wide.

He has some of the most powerful crossovers of any player in this draft, not to mention the best stop.

You say "...but Pat Kane." and I counter with that they were teammates in junior, and not too far apart in skill level. Who is better? Its not clear, but I have a strong feeling Gagner comes back this year and shows people. I see him as a post lockout mike peca, if he puts on enough upper body strength he has the hockey iq to throw some devasting hits. Combine that with his skill and shot, and its a no brainer.

I don't even think that he has a top 5 release on the Oilers let alone in the league. The kid gets more shots blocked on the rush than any other Oiler.

Last edited:

McBaevid

Lottery Dynasty
Oct 3, 2010
Edmonton, AB
I think when it's all said and done, we'll see that Sam Gagner is the best player drafted in 2007. The guy hasn't even come close to his max potential yet, he's got wheels, hands and a great shot, he was rushed in the beginning but his skill/effort/bloodline will come full circle and he'll start rolling.

As for Ryan O'Marra he'll be lucky to be a third line center, more likely life long fourth liner. First round picks bust all the time, so what?

^ :facepalm:

Huge Homer WOW, I'm a huge Oilers fan too but im not an idiot. Sam Gagner will NEVER be as good as Patty Kane

"The guy hasn't even come close to his max potential yet"
- And what exactly makes you think Kane has....? :help:

he's got wheels, hands and a great shot - Kane has better wheels, hands and a better shot.

"he was rushed in the beginning but his skill/effort/bloodline will come full circle and he'll start rolling."
- Every NHL player has skill, Every NHL player puts in effort, and bloodline....really? Weak argument bro bloodlines have nothing to do in the NHL, just cause a father or brother of a NHL player played in the NHL before them doesn't mean there gonna be a superstar.

I would easily without a second thought would take Benn, Subban, and especially Kane over Gagner at this point, everyone else is unproven or has little NHL experience. (Couture, Blum, JVR)

Dr Good Vibes

Jan 18, 2010
^ :facepalm:

Huge Homer WOW, I'm a huge Oilers fan too but im not an idiot. Sam Gagner will NEVER be as good as Patty Kane

"The guy hasn't even come close to his max potential yet"
- And what exactly makes you think Kane has....? :help:

he's got wheels, hands and a great shot - Kane has better wheels, hands and a better shot.

"he was rushed in the beginning but his skill/effort/bloodline will come full circle and he'll start rolling."
- Every NHL player has skill, Every NHL player puts in effort, and bloodline....really? Weak argument bro bloodlines have nothing to do in the NHL, just cause a father or brother of a NHL player played in the NHL before them doesn't mean there gonna be a superstar.

I would easily without a second thought would take Benn, Subban, and especially Kane over Gagner at this point, everyone else is unproven or has little NHL experience. (Couture, Blum, JVR)

I see things differently. I see Gagner as a diminuitive player who struggled in the NHL to date because he was rushed.

I also see the team around him getting harder better faster stronger and I think that makes a huge difference.

It's not unreasonable to think, if he really bulked up, that he could develop a strong two way game with physical play. As for the bloodline stuff, it's undeniable. There's a reason they always bring that up in scouting reports.

Harry Kakalovich

Sep 26, 2002
Montreal
Well if Sam Gagner is going to do something, he better do it this year. Personally, I believe Jakub Voracek is in a much better position to break out, and that he will have a better NHL career than Sam Gagner.

Apr 11, 2010
Toronto
He's got a dad who played in the nhl, and I heard he bag skates himself if he doesn't score a goal. That's leadership. Bag skates himself to vomiting just to make a point.

Also, he has great hair.

Bloodlines have nothing to do with how you play. Look at the Stastny brothers. If their dad was so good, how come Yan isn't a superstar? Don't say Paul took all the talent because that'll just make you look worse. And bag skating because you missed a goal isn't leadership, it's a self-punishment that he puts on himself simply because he's not satisfied. Just because I see a teammate work hard doesn't mean he has leadership. What a flawed argument.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad