Whatever happened to... Ryan O'Marra

thestonedkoala

Going Dark
Aug 27, 2004
Ryan O'Marra. Reading the write up on this kid in Hockey's Future (2006 BTW, which is hilarious), he was suppose to be a solid top 6 center in the mold of Michael Peca. But he seems to have completely disappeared from the radar?

And who else do you have?

voxel

Testicle Terrorist
Feb 14, 2007
Florida
Injuries. He's a 4th line grinder with no hands and little speed. Improved over the last year IMO, but not to be an NHL regular.

What happened to the entire 2005 draft class... yeesh.

Confound

Vindication
Oct 28, 2010
Maine
Injuries. He's a 4th line grinder with no hands and little speed. Improved over the last year IMO, but not to be an NHL regular.

What happened to the entire 2005 draft class... yeesh.

The '05 class looks like gold compared to the '07 draft, my god looking at the list if people selected in '07 is horrible, only JVR, Kane and Couture look to be stars in the NHL, all the rest are mediocre to busts. :help:

voxel

Testicle Terrorist
Feb 14, 2007
Florida
The '05 class looks like gold compared to the '07 draft, my god looking at the list if people selected in '07 is horrible, only JVR, Kane and Couture look to be stars in the NHL, all the rest are mediocre to busts. :help:

2007 was a weak draft anyhow, and many of the players are tracking UPWARDS. 2005 has many players injured or tracking downwards - Niskanen, Cogliano, Bergfors, Skille, Setoguchi, Bruel... (peaking early?) and maybe add Oshie, Statsny, etc. for health reasons.

2005 is barely a rusted silver. 2007 is bronze. 2008, 2009, 2010 are all gold.

Live from Rexall

Apr 6, 2008
London, UK

First round wasnt so good but thier were some guys in other rounds that will be gamers for a long time to come. Benn, Subban, Simmonds, Omark. And you think JVR looks like a star? He hasnt even had a season better than Gagner yet. Lots of people writing Samwise off but i think he will be a top 5 player from this draft throughout his career. Point wise for forwards only guy ahead of him from this draft is Kane!

Ivan13

Not posting anymore
May 3, 2011
Zagreb, Croatia
2007 was a weak draft anyhow, and many of the players are tracking UPWARDS. 2005 has many players injured or tracking downwards - Niskanen, Cogliano, Bergfors, Skille, Setoguchi, Bruel... (peaking early?) and maybe add Oshie, Statsny, etc. for health reasons.

2005 is barely a rusted silver. 2007 is bronze. 2008, 2009, 2010 are all gold.

What health reasons are you talking about?

Ivan13

Not posting anymore
May 3, 2011
Zagreb, Croatia
First round wasnt so good but thier were some guys in other rounds that will be gamers for a long time to come. Benn, Subban, Simmonds, Omark. And you think JVR looks like a star? He hasnt even had a season better than Gagner yet. Lots of people writing Samwise off but i think he will be a top 5 player from this draft throughout his career. Point wise for forwards only guy ahead of him from this draft is Kane!

You're telling us that he'll be a a top 5 player in the class with the likes of Kane, JVR, Turris (underrated), Alzner, Voracek (he'll finally play with a good center in Philly), Couture, McDonagh, Eller, Shatty, Pacioretty, Blum (guy was a beast last playoffs), Backlund, Smith, Subban, etc. I don't think so.

monkeywrench

May 11, 2010
Edmonton
With all due respect to Benn he isn't better than JVR or Blum.

Got to disagree with you there. Blum hasnt played a full season so we don't even know what he will be like as a full timer. JVR hasnt played close to his potential. I would take benn over those 2.

monkeywrench

May 11, 2010
Edmonton
You're telling us that he'll be a a top 5 player in the class with the likes of Kane, JVR, Turris (underrated), Alzner, Voracek (he'll finally play with a good center in Philly), Couture, McDonagh, Eller, Shatty, Pacioretty, Blum (guy was a beast last playoffs), Backlund, Smith, Subban, etc. I don't think so.

You must have a hate for Gagner if you put McDonagh, Eller, Pacioretty, Blum (so far), Smith and Backlund ahead of him, Gagner hasnt hit his full potential yet but he still is better then all these guys so far.

hdtrax

2007 - Kane, JVR, Turris, Couture, Benn, Gagner, McDonagh, Subban, Perron, Backlund, Blum, Pacioretty, Voracek, Shattenkirk, Simmonds, Palmieri, Omark, Aulie, Gunnarsson

2005 - Crosby, Ryan, J. Johnson, Price, Kopitar, Hanzal, Staal, Setoguchi, Neal, Stastny, Rask, Pavelec, Oshie, Downie, Vlasic, Quick, Raymond, Letang, Franson, Gragnani, Yandle, Hjalmarsson, Gerbe, Hornqvist

Still really early but I don't think there's a comparison. 05 by far.

Ivan13

Not posting anymore
May 3, 2011
Zagreb, Croatia
You must have a hate for Gagner if you put McDonagh, Eller, Pacioretty, Blum (so far), Smith and Backlund ahead of him, Gagner hasnt hit his full potential yet but he still is better then all these guys so far.

Blum was fantastic for Preds during the playoffs FYI. All those players will be better all-round contributors to their teams than Gagner.

TheBradyBunch

Dec 17, 2008
With all due respect to Benn he isn't better than JVR or Blum.

Right now? Absolutely is. Maybe we are just starting to see JVR surpass him but it hasn't quite happened yet. I think JVR will be the better player but Blum is debatable. Benn is a hell of an NHLer.

Ivan13

Not posting anymore
May 3, 2011
Zagreb, Croatia
With all due respect Blums played a combined 35 games in the NHL lets finish this conversation when he actually accomplishes something.

Playing great during the playoffs isn't worth something? Sorry but I don't get your logic. Benn is and will be a great NHLer, I just like Blum a little bit better.

Auguste McEscoffier

Oct 20, 2009

What exactly have they done to make you believe what you have posted?

Steezy T

Aug 21, 2011
There's nothing wrong with the 05 draft class..

- Sidney Crosby
- Bobby Ryan
- Jack Johnson
- Carey Price
- Devin Setoguchi
- Anze Kopitar
- Marc Staal
- Tuukka Rask
- T.J. Oshie
- Andrew Cogliano
- Steve Downie
- James Neal