OT: Whatever happened to Blackthorne?

Jets4Life

Dec 25, 2003
Westward Ho, Alberta
For all of us "dreamers" who joined the Jetsowner forum over a decade ago, I'm sure many are familiar with Blackthorne. He was the most passionate supporter of the return of the Jets. In fact, a wee bit too passionate. He left Jetsowner at the end of 2007, but has been seen as "Commander1" at the Winnipeg Free Press and "slippy" on a different Jets forum. From 2004-2008, Blackthorne became a bit of a folk hero in the city, as everyone in the internet community had heard some of the stories about him. What ever became of him?

He was last spotted posting four years ago on Jets Hockey Forum. Did he ever join hfboards?

Jets4Life

Dec 25, 2003
Westward Ho, Alberta

Gm0ney

Unicorns salient
Oct 12, 2011
Winnipeg
That's not him. The writing style and grammar do not match up. Additionally, he was always a passionate supporter of the jets NHL return. The person who created the username on HFBoards is arguing the opposite. My guess is it may be one of his adversaries that created the account to take a dig at him.

Ah, yeah I see that in another post where he's wrong on everything (except Edmonton's arena being replaced in the near future): http://hfboards.mandatory.com/showthread.php?p=11697000&highlight=#post11697000

I wasn't on any forums back then so never heard of this guy. Good luck in tracking him down...

jamiebez

Apr 5, 2005
Ottawa
For all of us "dreamers" who joined the Jetsowner forum over a decade ago, I'm sure many are familiar with Blackthorne. He was the most passionate supporter of the return of the Jets. In fact, a wee bit too passionate. He left Jetsowner at the end of 2007, but has been seen as "Commander1" at the Winnipeg Free Press and "slippy" on a different Jets forum. From 2004-2008, Blackthorne became a bit of a folk hero in the city, as everyone in the internet community had heard some of the stories about him. What ever became of him?

He was last spotted posting four years ago on Jets Hockey Forum. Did he ever join hfboards?

Haven't thought about that name in years.... guy was passionate, I'll give him that.

razorsedge

Oct 19, 2006
Last I heard of him, he had written a pretty nasty letter to True North and signed it "jetsowner". He always said True North was blocking the NHLs return.

Jets4Life

Dec 25, 2003
Westward Ho, Alberta
Last I heard of him, he had written a pretty nasty letter to True North and signed it "jetsowner". He always said True North was blocking the NHLs return.
lol....looking back in retrospect, that really is ironic.

It's coming up on 10 years since that occurred. Where does time fly? I remember some details, although others may remember it better. Apparently Ford and Jetsowner members had been given permission to distribute pamphlets/flyers about the Jets NHL return, and promoting Jetsowner.com website on True North property, if I am not mistaken. Shortly afterwards, 2-4 weeks, the Moose appearantly had a military-themed night, where they wore special jerseys to be auctioned off for charitable purposes. From what I understand, Blackthorne emailed True North and the Moose, accusing them of profiting off dead soldiers or something really inflammatory. Even worse, he appearantly signed it with his real name, and wrote "longtime member of Jetsowner.com."

Last edited:

thejaf7

Mar 21, 2010
lol....

Well last time I conversed with him would have been November 2012. He was outed as "slippy" the dancing hot dog avatar, on the JHF forum. He denied it at first, but once his cover was blown, he disappeared. Strange but he really did not have much to say about the Jets when he returned. It was mainly about the Bombers, and that the new Stadium would never get built. Maybe I should check the Minnesota Wild forum.

TheJaf, I remember you from Jetsowner. I was a moderator on that forum for 18 months.

Yes I remember. Good times on that forum, not many of us in the beginning as I remember but I remember every little crumb of news regarding the return of the jets was so exciting. Too bad it was shut down, I felt the forum could have continued on and evolve to encompass all the people who were apart of that community for so long.

TheDeuce

Halak, Ryder, and a second.
Feb 22, 2009
Yes I remember. Good times on that forum, not many of us in the beginning as I remember but I remember every little crumb of news regarding the return of the jets was so exciting. Too bad it was shut down, I felt the forum could have continued on and evolve to encompass all the people who were apart of that community for so long.

The old Jetsowner forum is still up and all the old posts are there if one wants a walk down memory lane. JHF might be the spiritual successor to Jetsowner but there's nothing like reading all the threads saying how Hamilton was going to get a team before Winnipeg.

Good times.

m.

Reactions: rednivlab

Jets4Life

Dec 25, 2003
Westward Ho, Alberta
The old Jetsowner forum is still up and all the old posts are there if one wants a walk down memory lane. JHF might be the spiritual successor to Jetsowner but there's nothing like reading all the threads saying how Hamilton was going to get a team before Winnipeg.

Good times.

m.

The domain expired a couple of years ago. It's not in existence.

Jets4Life

Dec 25, 2003
Westward Ho, Alberta

IMHO, it sould not have been shut down. For all his good work. Darren Ford made a huge mistake in accepting a deal to run a WFP Jets forum, and I think the WFP expected the Jetsowner faithful to follow him over there. that obviously did not happen, as the WFP was known to be a little overzealous when it came to moderating forums, and it overall had an inferior format to the new JHF forum.

I had heard in the final days of the Jetsowner forum some regular members were pleading with Ford to keep the site open, or sell it to them, as it would ahve acted as th new Winnipeg Jets main forum. However JHF has filled that role nicely.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad