OT: Whatcha Eatin?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Surrounded By Ahos

Las Vegas Desert Ducks Official Team Poster
Sponsor
May 24, 2008
Koko Miami
Waiting for a pizza to be delivered. Didn’t expect to find a gourmet pizza place in Lethbridge. If it tastes as good as the pictures look then it’ll be the best thing to come out of this city since Zack Boychuk.
Is it just me, or do gourmet and pizza not go together at all?

Cardiac Jerks

Asinine & immoral
Jan 13, 2006
Long Sault, Ontario
I would have thought that as well until I tried a few places that do specialty Neapolitan style pizzas.

There’s a place in Toronto that has a few locations called Pizza Libretto. They regularly compete in the world championships and have medaled a few times. They follow very strict guidelines in how the pizza is prepared. I don’t remember all the details but one I do recall is that the tomato’s they use have to be from a specific region in Italy.

Incubajerks

Feb 9, 2010
Roma
There’s a place in Toronto that has a few locations called Pizza Libretto. They regularly compete in the world championships and have medaled a few times. They follow very strict guidelines in how the pizza is prepared. I don’t remember all the details but one I do recall is that the tomato’s they use have to be from a specific region in Italy.

Pachino mabye?

vorbis

bunch of likes
Feb 9, 2013
YTZ
so tomatoes, which didn’t exist in europe until “discovered” in north america by native-genociding italians, must now originate from their adopted home resulting from a mass cross-atlantic migration of the species in order to be authentic.

story checks out.

Incubajerks

Feb 9, 2010
Roma
so tomatoes, which didn’t exist in europe until “discovered” in north america by native-genociding italians, must now originate from their adopted home resulting from a mass cross-atlantic migration of the species in order to be authentic.

story checks out.

Well, when you have tomatoes in your garden and instead of eating them you use them as ornaments it is right that it ends like this.

Cardiac Jerks

Asinine & immoral
Jan 13, 2006
Long Sault, Ontario

story checks out.

It is what it is. I didn’t write the rules. I just eat the stuff.

DaveG

Noted Jerk
Apr 7, 2003
Winston-Salem NC
Yeah the place that's literally a block and half from my place in Winston is REALLY serious about where they get their ingredients from. The sauce I'm not sure about but the flour itself they even import from Naples so nothing would surprise me.

Surrounded By Ahos

Las Vegas Desert Ducks Official Team Poster
Sponsor
May 24, 2008
Koko Miami
I think they can if the place uses fresh or specialty ingredients, if a lot of things are scratch made, wood oven etc.

I don’t know how else to describe a place thts so far above the chains.
I would have thought that as well until I tried a few places that do specialty Neapolitan style pizzas.

I can dig it. I just don’t mentally associate pizza as a ‘fancy’ food, I guess.

Unsustainable

Seth Jarvis is Elite
Apr 14, 2012
North Carolina
DD927764-3C44-4191-AB88-D58CF220F2AD.jpeg

Incubajerks

Feb 9, 2010
Roma
They rotate the appetizers a good bit aside from their standards (best IMO is actually a fire roasted cauliflower), but they always have Zeppole available as well.

Only in Naples Zeppole are used as a appetizer usually with tomato sauce or with pumpkin flower and anchovies. In all the rest of Italy they are always fried but they are served as desserts with a whole series of ingredients that changes from region to region and are called the same, Zeppole.

Navin R Slavin

Fifth line center
Jan 1, 2011
Durrm NC
Only in Naples Zeppole are used as a appetizer usually with tomato sauce or with pumpkin flower and anchovies. In all the rest of Italy they are always fried but they are served as desserts with a whole series of ingredients that changes from region to region and are called the same, Zeppole.

Mothers and Sons in Durham has Zeppole with caramel sauce. Pizzeria Toro in Durham has Zeppole with dark chocolate and vanilla custard. I eat way too much of both.

McBrockGinn

JerkDaddy
Jan 9, 2018
Male

Libretto's is alright but have you tried Maker Pizza? Mama Mia, Delicioso! Worth a shot if you're back in town.

Canes

Oct 31, 2017
An Oblate Spheroid
I can dig it. I just don’t mentally associate pizza as a ‘fancy’ food, I guess.
As a pizza connoisseur I've started noticing there seems to be several types of pizza spots opening up around the U.S. that charge anywhere from 20-30 bucks for a 14ish" pizza. Only half seem to be worth it though if that. Antico in Atlanta is one I've been really impressed with. But then again, I also like 4 dollar frozen pizzas from Wal-Mart, Little Caesar's, and $1 a slice pizza places in New York City. Those gourmet places really have their work cut out long term. Only the best places will continue to be able charge premium prices once the novelty wears off.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad