OT: Whatcha Drinkin' II: Another Round!

Roboturner913

Jul 3, 2012
To the person who mentioned Fin du Monde earlier - kudos to you. Probably my favorite Belgian I've had.

that was me. I don't know if it's my absolute favorite, but it's up there. The Trappistes Rochefort is incredible. I usually prefer dubbels to quads but that's the big exception. It makes the Chimay blue label seem watery by comparison.

there is actually a quad from some brewery in Cali named Jean-Quad Van Damme. I keep telling my relations over that way to find it and mail me one but no luck so far.

Roboturner913

Jul 3, 2012
Brooklyn Sorachi Ace, which I guess is a saison? It's thinner than any saison I've ever had though. This is more like a pilsner with the flavors cranked up way high. Lots of grapefruit and lemon. It's almost like drinking a Sprite.

However, I also landed in the same trip, a 2013 bomber of Old Rasputin Barrel Aged, which was $34 but I said what the hell. Don't come across that stuff very often.

Reactions: Surrounded By Ahos

Roboturner913

Jul 3, 2012
if you want a good quad, find a St. Bernardus ABT 12. HOLY ****. I think I just mentioned before, I generally prefer dubbels to quads, but this is the one that has changed my mind. I usually feel like the user reviews on sites like Beer Advocate are talking straight up bull**** when they talk about tasting raisin bread and figs and and fruitcake and such, but this stuff actually lives up to some of those flavor profiles.

I'm not kidding when I say, this might be the best beer I've ever had. I wouldn't want to drink it every day because it's so heavy and rich, but I'm gonna start buying it whenever I see it and stashing them away in the wine cellar.

Amazing with soft buttery cheese too...I've got some havarti and proscuitto here to go with and it's unbelievable. I'll probably **** a brick tomorrow but it's worth it. It also went well with extra sharp cheddar fwiw.

i like malty things. a lot

Last edited:

DaveG

Noted Jerk
Apr 7, 2003
Winston-Salem NC
westvleteren 12 is like candy. also boulevard makes an outstanding quad.
Pretty damn jealous that you've had the chance to try it. That may legitimately be the best beer in the world.

I've liked the Boulevard quad when I've had it, and St Bernardus makes a damn good one as well. Rochefort 10 is a go-to for me for the style.

vorbis

bunch of likes
Feb 9, 2013
YTZ
yes St Bernardus 12 is fantastic, as is Rochefort 10 but that's not exactly breaking news.

a friend of a friend actually visited the monastery to get some Westvleteren 12 at the source, and since he was a businessman of some sort with a different set of import rules (details murky to me here), he was able to bring a whole slab of them back, of which I got 2. it's really quite delicious.

garnetpalmetto

Jerkministrator
Jul 12, 2004
Durham, NC
if you want a good quad, find a St. Bernardus ABT 12. HOLY ****. I think I just mentioned before, I generally prefer dubbels to quads, but this is the one that has changed my mind. I usually feel like the user reviews on sites like Beer Advocate are talking straight up bull**** when they talk about tasting raisin bread and figs and and fruitcake and such, but this stuff actually lives up to some of those flavor profiles.

I'm not kidding when I say, this might be the best beer I've ever had. I wouldn't want to drink it every day because it's so heavy and rich, but I'm gonna start buying it whenever I see it and stashing them away in the wine cellar.

Amazing with soft buttery cheese too...I've got some havarti and proscuitto here to go with and it's unbelievable. I'll probably **** a brick tomorrow but it's worth it. It also went well with extra sharp cheddar fwiw.

i like malty things. a lot

My wife took me to Guglhupf for my birthday a few years ago and I had the Abt 12. The meal and dessert were amazing, but that beer was easily one of the highlights of the night.

MinJaBen

Canes Sharks Boy
Sponsor
Dec 14, 2015
Durm
I know what @Boom Boom Apathy should be drinking...

27544889_10155306853076662_2600221275879482415_n.jpg

vorbis

bunch of likes
Feb 9, 2013
YTZ
had some friends over last night for a Beering. ow my head. i pulled out a lot of bottles that i got last time i went to Asheville. we polished off a frightening amount of alcohol. just because i’m a nerd and want to document it, a list:

Burial Tin Cup Camp Stout
Burial Ulfberht Baltic Porter with Juniper
Burial Hawkbill ipa
Green Man Tart Berry berlinerweisse
Innovation Dragon’s Cave flanders red
Olde Hickory Event Horizon imperial stout
Petrus Sour Quad
Block 3 Dawn apricot sour
Out Beersel oude geuze vieille
Kernel imperial brown stout
Amsterdam sour cherry imperial stout
Deus Brut des Flandres
Bellwoods Bring Out Your Dead imperial stout
Rain hard Kapow west coast ipa
Project X robust porter
Rodenbach vintage 2015 flanders red
and lots of unmarked bottles as several of the gents are home brewers.

it should be noted that half of these bottles were 750ml, and there were five of us altogether. pretty stupid to drink that much, but it was a lovely evening.

Cardiac Jerks

Asinine & immoral
Jan 13, 2006
Long Sault, Ontario
Visited a brewery in my neighborhood for a tasting and was very pleasantly surprised. Enjoying a mangose at home now.

Told myself I was going to slowly work through the beers I purchased and then drank them all that weekend. They have a great oatmeal stout (my favorite style beer) as well as three great ipa’s. The mango Gose was really good as well even though fruity beers aren’t usually my thing.

Very happy to have found a great local brewery so close to home.

C2_D4_AA2_A_3510_4_AB5_A104_6_BB6_A9_E35_BDA.jpg

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad