OT: Whatcha Drinkin' II: Another Round!

cptjeff

Reprehensible User
Sep 18, 2008
Washington, DC.
Applejack as in, apple brandy? I've never had a 100 proof brandy. What's that like?

It tastes pretty strongly like apple, along with the nice sweet vanilla and caramel stuff you get from barrel aging. When I've had it in the past, I haven't really noticed it as too 'hot', but I usually drank it in cocktails or on ice, so it was diluted anyway. I don't really care about the proof, the big thing that bugs me is that the cheaper applejack is blended- part apple, part neutral spirits, and Laird's doesn't say what the neutral spirits are. The bottled in bond is made from 100% apples, and has a much stronger flavor. Kinda like the difference between drinking Canadian Club and drinking any actual whiskey.

cptjeff

Reprehensible User
Sep 18, 2008
Washington, DC.
Utah......bourbon......doesnotcompute

Bourbon can be made anywhere in the US. One of the most popular ones is- and this may shock you- made in Tennessee, not Kentucky! (Yes, Jack is Bourbon. Tennessee Whiskey is legally defined as straight bourbon made in Tennessee). And I'm sure everyone from NC has at least seen Virginia Gentleman on the liquor store shelf.

I'm more confused by the "prairie" part. Park City Utah is not prairie by any definition.

Roboturner913

Jul 3, 2012
Bourbon can be made anywhere in the US. One of the most popular ones is- and this may shock you- made in Tennessee, not Kentucky! (Yes, Jack is Bourbon. Tennessee Whiskey is legally defined as straight bourbon made in Tennessee). And I'm sure everyone from NC has at least seen Virginia Gentleman on the liquor store shelf.

I'm more confused by the "prairie" part. Park City Utah is not prairie by any definition.

I know that technically bourbon can be made anywhere - although I live a stone's throw from Kentucky and there are people there who will argue you otherwise. It's more the Utah part that threw me. Seems like the least likely place in the world to have a distillery.

NotOpie

"Puck don't lie"
Jun 12, 2006
North Carolina
I know that technically bourbon can be made anywhere - although I live a stone's throw from Kentucky and there are people there who will argue you otherwise. It's more the Utah part that threw me. Seems like the least likely place in the world to have a distillery.

After Sunday, I don't give two shits about likelihoods....that was some smooth wonderfulness.

Roboturner913

Jul 3, 2012
There is a whiskey bar in Louisville called The Haymarket that claims to stock every bourbon being currently produced. Next time I'm down there I'll have to see if they have it.

Last time I was down there I went with a couple friends, we got ****faced drinking Four Roses barrel proof. On the way out we bought some stank weed we got from a guy on the sidewalk outside the place, smoked that, and then went on an epic run of White Castle, a Chinese buffet, Taco Bell and Dairy Queen in the span of about 3 hours. Top 10 day of my life.

cptjeff

Reprehensible User
Sep 18, 2008
Washington, DC.
There is a whiskey bar in Louisville called The Haymarket that claims to stock every bourbon being currently produced. Next time I'm down there I'll have to see if they have it.

Last time I was down there I went with a couple friends, we got ****faced drinking Four Roses barrel proof. On the way out we bought some stank weed we got from a guy on the sidewalk outside the place, smoked that, and then went on an epic run of White Castle, a Chinese buffet, Taco Bell and Dairy Queen in the span of about 3 hours. Top 10 day of my life.

So how many dollars and how many pounds did that night cost you?

NotOpie

"Puck don't lie"
Jun 12, 2006
North Carolina

:partytime::m-dance::m-dance::m-dance:

MXD

Original #4
Oct 27, 2005
Quebec may not be a great market for hockey, but boy do they have their beer situation sorted. popped a Triple with Brett from À la Fût this past weekend. it's really an amazing beer. there are so many fantastic breweries in that province, and I'd say they put Ontario to shame on the beer front. the premiere breweries are far more established to say the least, and as such their beer offerings are less gimmicky, and more confidently conceptualized.

Quebec's beer scene has been developping for quite a bit longer though.

Spontaneous-fermented beer incoming.

Reactions: Surrounded By Ahos

Roboturner913

Jul 3, 2012
Anyone know any good tripels or something else along the lines of Aviator's Devil's Tramping Ground? One of my favorites, not a huge fan of the IPA taste but like the smooth and higher alc %.

Clown Shoes is hoppy without having that "I just licked a pine tree air freshener" aftertaste. I don't love it but somebody who was more into hops probably would. La Fin Du Monde I think you can find just about anywhere and is quite a bit cheaper than Chimay white label.

sheriff bart

Where are the white women at
Nov 11, 2010
Rock Ridge
Clown Shoes is hoppy without having that "I just licked a pine tree air freshener" aftertaste.

My issue with lots of IPAs is that since they have gotten more popular, in order for the brewers to be distinctive, many resort to adding more pine trees. I'm not huge on IPAs, but I like a well balanced one.

Enjoyed a couple or 6 Sierra Nevada Oktoberfests last night.

Surrounded By Ahos

Las Vegas Desert Ducks Official Team Poster
Sponsor
May 24, 2008
Koko Miami
i drank too much guinness yesterday to drink during football today which is probably why state lost

wrxg_f-maxage-0.gif

Roboturner913

Jul 3, 2012
This Dragon's Milk stuff though....whew. I'm not sure it quite tops the Old Rasputin Barrel Aged, but the latter is like 30 bucks for the 500 ML bottle whereas the Dragon's Milk was $10 for a 650 ML bottle. So I may have found a new favorite in this style.

This is my second big bottle today....I killed a Ommegang dubbel earlier. That stuff is way too easy to drink. Doesn't have quite the refinement of the Chimay red label or the Brother Thelonius, but it's cheaper and way easier to find at least in my area.

I've got a growler of the Brooklyn Chocolate Stout that my NY friend just brought back from Buffalo, where the snow is deep and the women are ugly. That'll be tomorrow.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad