GDT: What? Your New Jersey Devils @ Vegas Golden Knights, What? 4 PM, MSG+, What?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Spoiled Bratt

Jun 29, 2016
I still find it comical that certain posters are still blaming management and our coaching staff for our lack of success.

At some point, you have to realize that our roster is pretty weak and we're not that good.

It's a miracle that Philly, St-Louis, Chicago, LA are all below us in the standings since they have a way better roster than ours. If there's fanbases that should be pissed that they're in the bottom of the standings, it's those teams.

Devils Dominion

Now we Plummet
Feb 16, 2007
NJ
We came out flying and then PZ halted our Momemtum, though I'd like to see Kink make that save.

From there, we generated basically no offense until the last 5 minutes of the 3rd.

Got pinned in way too much

Reactions: Devilsfan118

haak84

Oct 18, 2017
Tight win or OT with a better goalie than Kinkaid. Story of our season.

This narrative is getting old. Devils have been blown out or completely outplayed in more games than our goalies have kept us out of it. Today was the exception not the norm. Vegas was the much better team for more than 40 minutes of this game. Their special teams were better. Devils put in a decent effort but fell short and Kinkaid was a part of that. But lets not act like this is a playoff team with anything less than Vezina goaltending.

At this point, I just want Kinkaid gone, so this board can complain about the Robin Lehner like replacement that fills his skates. OR Blackwood can become the real deal and we finally stop blaming all our losses on goaltending.

Emperoreddy

Show Me What You Got!
Apr 13, 2010
New Jersey, Exit 16E
I still find it comical that certain posters are still blaming management and our coaching staff for our lack of success.

At some point, you have to realize that our roster is pretty weak and we're not that good.

It's a miracle that Philly, St-Louis, Chicago, LA are all below us in the standings since they have a way better roster than ours. If there's fanbases that should be pissed that they're in the bottom of the standings, it's those teams.

All of those rosters outside of maybe St. Louis are absolute junk.

They are behind us for good reason.

My3Sons

Nobody told me there'd be days like these...
Sponsor

CHI and LA are generally old and run down but STL has a reasonable roster and to my eyes PHI does as well. Something is broken on those two teams but I don’t see it as the roster. Maybe coaching and goaltending in PHI but I’m thinking the management discord and mixed messages to the players from that fallout has hurt them also.

Reactions: Taylor Hall

Spoiled Bratt

Jun 29, 2016

Absolute junk?

The Hawks have a legit superstars in Kane, a legit #1 center who's one of the best in the league in all 3 zones in Toews and a better blueline. The fact that they have no goaltending and they've been playing way more games over the past several years then any other team is catching up to them.

The same can be said for the Kings with the injury to their #1 and it's the main reason why they're so poor this year. The Flyers have a solid roster but they've been looking for a goaltender for the past decade+. As for the Blues, it's a real puzzler cause they're loaded but again, goaltending is their main issue.

We have Hall, Hischier, Palmieri and that's it. You can maybe add Severson, with his play this year, but the teams listed above all have better options.

Bleedred

Travis Green BLOWS! Bring back Nasreddine!
Sponsor
May 1, 2011
The same can be said for the Kings with the injury to their #1 and it's the main reason why they're so poor this year.
That’s actually not even close to true.

Kings goalies not named Quick have outperformed him this year. Quick has been almost as poor as Kinkaid has, while their non-Quick goalies (in more games played) have been really good. That’s not including Budaj, who has only started 1 game and relieved in 2 others. Petersen and Campbell have both been a hell of a lot better than Quick in a combined 25 games played to Quick’s 19.

Devils Dominion

Now we Plummet
Feb 16, 2007
NJ
CHI and LA are generally old and run down but STL has a reasonable roster and to my eyes PHI does as well. Something is broken on those two teams but I don’t see it as the roster. Maybe coaching and goaltending in PHI but I’m thinking the management discord and mixed messages to the players from that fallout has hurt them also.

I think Philly is underachieving worse than us. They have more talent on their roster.

Reactions: My3Sons

BahlDeep

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 29, 2008
Montreal
Absolute junk?

The Hawks have a legit superstars in Kane, a legit #1 center who's one of the best in the league in all 3 zones in Toews and a better blueline. The fact that they have no goaltending and they've been playing way more games over the past several years then any other team is catching up to them.

The same can be said for the Kings with the injury to their #1 and it's the main reason why they're so poor this year. The Flyers have a solid roster but they've been looking for a goaltender for the past decade+. As for the Blues, it's a real puzzler cause they're loaded but again, goaltending is their main issue.

We have Hall, Hischier, Palmieri and that's it. You can maybe add Severson, with his play this year, but the teams listed above all have better options.

Toews might be the most overrated player in the history of the league

BahlDeep

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 29, 2008
Montreal
Yeah... who wants a guy that can lead by example, has the attention of his entire locker room, is clutch and can play in any given situation.

Sure, a 60 point player making 10 million a year.

Not to take away anything he had done, as he was absolutely a top tier centerman 3 years ago, now, not so much

Spoiled Bratt

Jun 29, 2016
Sure, a 60 point player making 10 million a year.

Not to take away anything he had done, as he was absolutely a top tier centerman 3 years ago, now, not so much

Hockey or any other sport isn't based solely on pts. There's all kinds of intangibles that can't be seen on the scoresheet and Toews is the prime example of that. The guy got rewarded for the cups and every little thing he brought to a city that hasn't won in ages, not because he's racking up Zajac like stats.

Patrick Kane earns the same amount but he can't do what Toews can do on the ice. Is he a offensive dynamo, absolutely, but in critical moments... Toews is your guy and it's those moments that will earn you cups.

BTW, the guy is almost a PPG player this year on a trainwreck of a team.

MichaelJ

May 20, 2013
Hockey or any other sport isn't based solely on pts. There's all kinds of intangibles that can't be seen on the scoresheet and Toews is the prime example of that. The guy got rewarded for the cups and every little thing he brought to a city that hasn't won in ages, not because he's racking up Zajac like stats.

Patrick Kane earns the same amount but he can't do what Toews can do on the ice. Is he a offensive dynamo, absolutely, but in critical moments... Toews is your guy and it's those moments that will earn you cups.

BTW, the guy is almost a PPG player this year on a trainwreck of a team.

If Chicago decided to move Toews I’d be fine with the Devils adding him for the last four years of his deal (in general; of course it would depend on the return and retention). He’d likely play 2C behind Nico, play defense, put up points, and provide SC winning leadership.

Reactions: Taylor Hall

guitarguyvic

Mar 31, 2010

Once you get past Kane, Toews, and Keith their roster is junk. We have a better supporting cast of middle and bottom six forwards.

The same can be said for the Kings with the injury to their #1 and it's the main reason why they're so poor this year.
Quick has been garbage, and the whole roster is old and slow. Once you get past Kopitar and Doughty, the rest of their roster is junk.

The Flyers have a solid roster but they've been looking for a goaltender for the past decade+.

The Flyers haven't had good goaltending for about 30 years. I think they do have a decent roster, still a mixed bag.

As for the Blues, it's a real puzzler cause they're loaded but again, goaltending is their main issue.

This is the only team you are sort of right about. That being said, they are also kinda on the older and slower side. But yeah, their goaltending blows.

We have Hall, Hischier, Palmieri and that's it.

No that's not it. We have an up and coming winger in Bratt. Solid middle 6 forwards like MarJo, Coleman, Wood (jury is still out I guess). I lost faith in Zacha a while ago but there's still some life there. The D as a whole is weak but they could be offset if we had good coaching/structure for that end of the ice. Goaltending is a disaster.

This team is where it is because of crap D (combination of inexperience, not enough top end talent, and non-existent structure) and because our starting goalie belongs in the ECHL and the backup is a backup.

Spoiled Bratt

Jun 29, 2016
DeBrincat is as good as Bratt, if not better and let's not use MoJo as a plus when everyone keeps on ripping the guy. Coleman and Wood are "ok" pieces but teams all have players that are comparable IMO. You win and lose with your elite players and as of now, we only have Hall.

Anyways, saying those teams are crap when our roster isn't any better was why I responded to that statement. To me, they have a better roster but are just underachieving.

Just my personal opinion.

Bleedred

Travis Green BLOWS! Bring back Nasreddine!
Sponsor
May 1, 2011
I picked Chicago as a dark horse for finishing dead last this year.

I never thought they'd make the playoffs, but I thought they'd be a lot closer to the bottom than most people probably did.

Most people were picking Vancouver and Ottawa to finish dead last. I thought Vancouver probably would, but that Chicago was a strong contender and that there'd probably 2 teams worse than Ottawa this year.

If Anderson doesn't hurry up and get back from injury, the Nilsson/Hogberg tandem will probably do a number on them. That's assuming Anderson doesn't implode after the injury.

Cage Helmet

Thank you Marty!
May 27, 2012

Quick has been below mediocre this year. Him being injured was the least of the reason they’re last. He hasn’t been much better than STL’s tenders or KK. The NJD would be better than this with stronger tending. Last night’s game was a tremendous example.

Cage Helmet

Thank you Marty!
May 27, 2012
Toews might be the most overrated player in the history of the league
He’s close. Really good player but I’m skeptical he’d even be in the hall if he hadn’t captained all those SC teams. His offensive output took a nosedive quite a bit before age 30. Was a great player for his first 6, 7 years he was in the league. Still a pretty good player now but not as legendary as the hype and way overpaid and will be for some time.

Spoiled Bratt

Jun 29, 2016
He’s close. Really good player but I’m skeptical he’d even be in the hall if he hadn’t captained all those SC teams. His offensive output took a nosedive quite a bit before age 30. Was a great player for his first 6, 7 years he was in the league. Still a pretty good player now but not as legendary as the hype and way overpaid and will be for some time.

You lock up the heart and soul of your team, your SC winning teams... period.

If every Gm had a crystal ball, we wouldn't of resigned Schneider, Greene, etc.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->