Tribute What would your all time Islanders team look like?

brachyrynchos

Apr 10, 2017
23 man roster by position:

Gillies - Trottier - Bossy
Tonelli - Lafontaine - Nystrom
Lee - Goring - Palffy
King - Turgeon - Harris

Persson - Denis Potvin
Ken Morrow - Kenny Jonsson
Langevin - Tomas Jonsson

* Brent Sutter
**Tavares
***Barzal

Billy Smith
Dipietro
————————
Top 25 all-time

Mike Bossy
Bryan Trottier
Denis Potvin
Bobby Nystrom
Clark Gillies
John Tonelli
Billy Smith
Pat Lafontaine
Stefan Persson
Kenny Morrow
Butch Goring
Pierre Turgeon
Brent Sutter
Dave Langevin
John Tavares
Matt Barzal
Bobby Bourne
Ziggy Palffy
Anders Lee
Billy Harris
Derek King
Ed Westfall
Rick Dipietro
Patrick Flatley
Casey Cizekas

Bill Torrey -GM
Al Arbour -Head Coach
It's always good to see Westfall mentioned, he's so underrated as a player and Eddie played such a big role in helping this organization with his experience and leadership, 48 years later he's still around the Islanders.
No complaints about your choices here, but a few guys that merit recognition:
Darius Kasparaitis: they knew when he was out there and it bothered them.
JP Parise and Jude Drouin: "we needed to learn how to win" was Torrey's quote when he acquired these guys, they did.
Mathieu Schneider: another underrated defenseman (not just with NYI).

Torrey and Arbour are the clear choices for GM and coach. I wouldn't mind Ted Nolan as an assistant or a member of the staff, same with Devellano and Smith as scouts.

Jiggs Mcdonald calling the game, radio broadcast on WGBB.

SI

Feb 16, 2013
I’m sure the age of the poster goes a long way in who he chooses for his all time team.

To be fair to Cups - he was going by position which is why King over Bourne.

Islanders4Cups

May 4, 2002
Boston, MA USA
To be fair to Cups - he was going by position which is why King over Bourne.
I tried to be fair across the decades on both lists and it was very tough. Folks may question Goring as a #3 center and I was going back and forth with him and Turgeon, Sutter, JT and Barzal, but Goring was a center who would shut those guys down. No one shut down Trottier and Lafontaine and that is why they are Hall of Famers.

SI

Feb 16, 2013
I tried to be fair across the decades on both lists and it was very tough. Folks may question Goring as a #3 center and I was going back and forth with him and Turgeon, Sutter, JT and Barzal, but Goring was a center who would shut those guys down. No one shut down Trottier and Lafontaine and that is why they are Hall of Famers.

You did a good job on the list -

I wonder how fans will view Leddy and Boychuk who are over 400 games played in Isles uniform.

Boychuk could top 500 games as an Isle and he had more success than Hamonic and Hamrlik

PROMputt

I promise to never forget.
Jan 4, 2008
Lawnguyland
Gillies - Trottier(A) - Bossy
Tonelli - Lafontaine - Palffy
Lee(A) - Turgeon - Flatley
King - B Sutter - Nystrom

Persson - Denis Potvin (C)
Ken Morrow - Tomas Jonsson
Krupp- Malakov (both played less than 200g for Islanders which makes this one a tough call, but talent alone they deserve to be here)
Goalie:
Billy Smith
Chico Resch

danteipp

Aug 3, 2005
Derek King was Bailey before Bailey was Bailey.

Agreed, I liked King but he def took some abuse from Isles fans.

For that last spot on the fourth line, I want Steve Thomas to switch from his natural RW to LW.

Or, better yet, put Thomas on the line with Turgeon (with Lee playing the Derek King role) and watch a downright frightening third line of goal scorers with very different skills.

That bumps Flatley (playing LW) to the line with Sutter and Nystrom, where his game probably fits better, giving that line has a ton of leadership, character and grit. Let them give opponents fits.

Thomas was fantastic for the Isles in his three seasons.

Reactions: mm11

doublechili

For all intensive purposes, your nuts
Apr 11, 2006
Gillies - Trottier - Bossy
Lee - B. Sutter - Kallur
Bourne - Turgeon/Goring - Nystrom

Potvin - Morrow
K Jonsson - Persson
Langevin - T Jonsson

Smith
Hrudey

I cheated on 4th line C. Based on pure talent it's Turgeon, but if my life depended on winning the game I'd go with Goring. Kallur is kind of forgotten sometimes, but he was very good - better all around than Flatley or other RWs I can think of.

Sparksrus3

Jun 2, 2012
Gillies - Trottier(A) - Bossy
Lee(A) - Turgeon - Flatley
King - B Sutter - Nystrom

Persson - Denis Potvin (C)
Ken Morrow - Tomas Jonsson
Krupp- Malakov (both played less than 200g for Islanders which makes this one a tough call, but talent alone they deserve to be here)
Goalie:
Billy Smith
Chico Resch

Based on your #5 and #6 on D just want to mention Adrian Aucoin played more than 200 games , Roman Hamrlik played 300 and Kenny Jonsson 600 games . I would take any of those 3 over either of above. Also the whole Krupp thing that may have cost us Jagr .
Just making chat chat

SI

Feb 16, 2013
Based on your #5 and #6 on D just want to mention Adrian Aucoin played more than 200 games , Roman Hamrlik played 300 and Kenny Jonsson 600 games . I would take any of those 3 over either of above. Also the whole Krupp thing that may have cost us Jagr .
Just making chat chat

Have to agree that Kenny should be on there over Uwe and Malakhov...

Pulock in a years time’s with the trajectory he is on - might be considered over Aucoin, Uwe, Hamrlik, and Malakhov

Islanders4Cups

May 4, 2002
Boston, MA USA
Another guy that I would have liked to fit in my top 25 is Marius Czerkawski. Very underrated Islander at RW especially during the lean years. With a do over I would put him above Flatley.

Reactions: PROMputt

PROMputt

I promise to never forget.
Jan 4, 2008
Lawnguyland
Just making chat chat

I did mention both played less then 200 games so it was a tough call. Malakov I feel was better then Hamrlik, Kenny Jonsson(to soft/injury prone for my liking, sorry) and Aucoin and if stayed with Islanders would have been a long term rock. Krupp is the toss up but I loved his shut down game.

19 in a row

Jul 19, 2011
Long Island
Not per my top 25. The top is positional. Brent Sutter and Bobby Bourne were centers

IIRC Bourne played a lot of left wing, especially after Goring and then B Sutter joined.. He was on the 1st PP but also played forward with Bossy and Trottier at times when they wanted to get more offense,. My mind is fading lol but I know Al mixed up the lines at times so remember him paired with the Sutters at times and a lot with Kallur They had Trottier, Goring, B Sutter (2 cups), Merrick and sometimes Carroll(3 cups) all as centers .

Edit: I do see a few sources that list him as a Center.. so maybe I am mistaken although I do know he moved around. . One thing for sure he was fast as hell. I rewatched that end to end goal which started with B Sutter taking the face-ff and Duane on the right wing.

Last edited:

Quicklime

Sep 25, 2006
Denver, CO
#1 on the All Time Snarling Glare Team.

Not that he’s on any all-time list other than handing out a few ass-beatings, but if we’re going to talk about glares....

DD3D503B-18B7-434C-BE86-5028CF67DA26.jpeg

scott99

May 13, 2005
Gillies-Trottier-Bossy
Tonelli-Lafontaine-Palffy
King-Tavares-Nystrom
Lee-Goring-B. Sutter

Potvin-Persson
Morrow-T.Jonsson
Langevin-K.Jonsson

Smith
Hrudey

Reactions: Islanders4Cups

ScaredStreit

May 5, 2006
Tampa, FL
Gillies-Trottier-Bossy
Tonelli-Lafontaine-Palffy
King-Tavares-Nystrom
Lee-Goring-B. Sutter

Potvin-Persson
Morrow-T.Jonsson
Langevin-K.Jonsson

Smith
Hrudey

Best list I've seen I'd only make 2 changes. Dipietro would be the backup (assuming he was healthy), I think we forget how good he was during those 2-2 1/2 years or so. I'd move Butch to Winger, Turgeon makes the team and Lee is cut.

Reactions: Axe Man

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad