Tribute What would your all time Caps team look like?

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC
I know Ridley. Hence the name. He could also play wing easily. And did often.

Gartner didn’t play off wing ask often as Dino did. But they both did. The whole “handedness” thing was so not as big a deal as it is now.

just saying.

IIRC handedness was more important back then. Players played their strong sides. Left wings skated up and down the left wing. They didnt roam all over the ice like they do now.

I am trying to remember Ridley playing wing. Kelly Miller was a left shooting left wing and he and Ridley were connected at the hip. But its not important. You want him on the wing. Ok.

I really did like the games Fedorov played on defense

CapitalsCupReality

It’s Go Time!!
Feb 27, 2002
Is it different? All time team has to mean 1st thru 12th best scoring forwards all time and so on? Were that the case then perhaps Rod Langway doesn't belong. Mike Ridley was a center, btw

I’m aware what Ridley was, thx. I watched his career here. Like I said all time talent Team vs if I’m building a complete team to win, I’m not picking simply the most skilled. If I was, that scumbag Jagr would be in play.

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC
I’m aware what Ridley was, thx. I watched his career here. Like I said all time talent Team vs if I’m building a complete team to win, I’m not picking simply the most skilled. If I was, that scumbag Jagr would be in play.

I guess the question is best players. Which is why that scumbag Jagr wasn't on your team. He wasn't good enough. The question is what are the definitions for best player. The obvious example to Langway. He is the best Caps defenseman ever and purely for defensive reasons. Certainly we don't have a forward in that category but Dahlen Halpern Konowalchuk were an elite level group. IMO more valued than the 3rd best group of offensive forwards.

But that is part of the fun of arguing about it.

Ridley Simon

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
Marin County — SF Bay Area, CA
Yeah, Dino was very clearly a superior player to some of the guys I put on my list, but he just wasn't a Capital for very long - 245 total games counting playoffs. It's just not enough time to make a historic Capitals team IMO. Totally subjective though.

JMO but to me it's gotta be more geared towards guys who are thought of and remembered as Capitals, or at least spent a nice chunk of time here.
I think if Dino as a “Capital”. Their decisions in the Limo that night ruined a lot of things, including his career in DC. He was a heckuva player for the team. He played hard and for the sweater. He was a great Cap.

Like Iafrate

Last edited:
Reactions: CapitalsCupReality

LastWordArmy

Sep 11, 2011
Canada
Washington Capitals Decade Team

In the early part of the 2010s, the Washington Capitals were a team that could not win the big one. They had all the talent in the world, won Presidents’ Trophy after Presidents’ Trophy, but they did not translate to Stanley Cup Playoff victories. Year after year, the Capitals fell in the first round or second round. Most of the time if the Capitals made it to the second round, they feel to their arch-rival the Pittsburgh Penguins. However, all of that changed in 2018.

With Barry Trotz at the helm, the Capitals adjusted their style of play and bought into the system. This led to success as the Capitals got past their demons in the second round of the 2018 Stanley Cup Playoffs. Washington carried that momentum into the Eastern Conference Finals knocking off the Tampa Bay Lightning in seven games. After dropping game one to the Vegas Golden Knights, the Capitals rattled off the next four games to capture the franchise’s first Stanley Cup. After winning the cup, the party never stopped for the Capitals and their fans.

Even if the Capitals did not win the Stanley Cup, the decade would have been a success, but the addition of a Stanley Cup Championship makes it even better. Especially for a team that could not win the big one with a talented roster. Let us take a look at the members that make the Washington Capitals decade team.

Washington Capitals Team of the Decade - Last Word on Hockey

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC

In the early part of the 2010s, the Washington Capitals were a team that could not win the big one. They had all the talent in the world, won Presidents’ Trophy after Presidents’ Trophy, but they did not translate to Stanley Cup Playoff victories. Year after year, the Capitals fell in the first round or second round.

Is this true? :deadhorse

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC

In the early part of the 2010s, the Washington Capitals were a team that could not win the big one. They had all the talent in the world, won Presidents’ Trophy after Presidents’ Trophy, but they did not translate to Stanley Cup Playoff victories. Year after year, the Capitals fell in the first round or second round. Most of the time if the Capitals made it to the second round, they feel to their arch-rival the Pittsburgh Penguins. However, all of that changed in 2018.

With Barry Trotz at the helm, the Capitals adjusted their style of play and bought into the system.

For the record. There was 1 Presi before Trotz and 2 Presi's in Trotz first 3 years. When did this buying in happen? After the Colorado disaster halfway thru the 17-18 season?

sycamore

Jan 16, 2010
Ovechkin - Backstrom - Bondra
Vrana - Kuznetsov - Gartner
Wilson - Oates - Oshie
Juneau - Ridley - Hunter

Stevens - Carlson
Gonchar - Langway
Hatcher - Tinordi

Holtby
Kolzig

Last edited:

sycamore

Jan 16, 2010
Nah, Semin played his best hockey in a Caps uniform and was one heck of a player.

I think Semin would have trouble taking on my sister in a fight. Biggest wimp to don a Caps uniform (even more so than Fleischmann).

He was incredibly soft.

AlexBrovechkin8

At least there was 2018.
Sponsor
Feb 18, 2012
District of Champions
I think Semin would have trouble taking on my sister in a fight. Biggest wimp to don a Caps uniform (even more so than Fleischmann).

He was incredibly soft.

He was also the best pure shooter the organization has ever seen. He may have one of the best wrist shots of all time.

Semin wasn't a fan favorite because he had the talent to be an all-timer and people expected more out of him but he was a terrific player during his time here.

JayBeagleFanAccount

May 30, 2018
Washington, DC
Ovechkin - Backstrom - Semin
Gartner - Oates - Bondra
Maruk - Pivonka - Christian
Ridley - Carpenter - Ciccarelli

Langway - Gonchar
Stevens - Hatcher
Johansson - Labre

Kolzig
Beaupre

The amount of Alex Semin disrespect in this thread is insane, during his prime he was one of the best players in the league and if he would've stayed healthy he'd be remembered on the tier of Ovi and Malkin as all time Russian greats.

Hivemind

We're Touched
Oct 8, 2010
Philadelphia
The amount of Alex Semin disrespect in this thread is insane, during his prime he was one of the best players in the league and if he would've stayed healthy he'd be remembered on the tier of Ovi and Malkin as all time Russian greats.

I'm one of the more fervent Semin apologists around here, and even I think this is a stretch. Sure, during his 40G season he got some Russian press that drew comparisons between him and Ovie, but that was the high water mark of his career at a point where the shine was beginning to wear off of Ovie a little bit. Saying he could maintain that level and draw comparisons to Ovechkin and Malkin is a hugely optimistic view of Semin's potential. He's not on that Ovie/Malkin/Fedorov/Bure-tier of players, he simply isn't. A healthier Semin with a longer prime period would have looked something like Kovalchuk, and even then Kovalchuk's peak was a little higher.

sycamore

Jan 16, 2010
Exactly, I respect Semin as a player and there is no question he had a tremendous shot. But he doesn't belong near a Caps all-time list, not even close.

(Now I suspect people are putting Semin on their lists just to p*** me off).

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad