What would you rather?

What would you rather?

• Total voters

bobholly39

Mar 10, 2013
Can't wait to see the results here. I've said many times i think people here hate on Bergevin more than they want to actually win, so we'll see if i'm right.

I voted option 1. I want Bergevin gone and fired - but not so bad so as to pass up on #1 overall.

We could draft Gretzky and still suck because MB has no plan, no direction, no clue what he's doing. I'll keep 8th overall and get rid of him once and for all. Easy choice.

I get what you're saying - but i just wanted to point out that Gretzky is a ridiculous example, big time exaggeration. Gretzky would be scoring 160+ points in this league, every year, even if he was stuck playing with Byron and Gallagher as linemates. I think even with Bergevin, we'd do jut fine if we landed Gretzky...

Edgy

Nov 30, 2009
I get what you're saying - but i just wanted to point out that Gretzky is a ridiculous example, big time exaggeration. Gretzky would be scoring 160+ points in this league, every year, even if he was stuck playing with Byron and Gallagher as linemates. I think even with Bergevin, we'd do jut fine if we landed Gretzky...
You would think, but Bergevin would have him playing on the 4th line at the wing, because reasons...

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com
This team doesn't win anything in the short term with the 1st OA, but having Bergevin around for 6 more years on top of the 2 he's already here for, no way would I want that.

Big Empty

He's a big horse
Jan 27, 2020
Montréal
This team doesn't win anything in the short term with the 1st OA, but having Bergevin around for 6 more years on top of the 2 he's already here for, no way would I want that.
They would have an 18-year-old hometown franchise forward. I would easily want the elite talent that we’ve been missing.

Reactions: Fixxer

Lafleurs Guy

Guuuuuuuy!
Jul 20, 2007
If it's MB not immediately fired... then I'd go with the first overall.

If it's MB extended though? Then I'd go with the other choice. We can't afford more years of this idiot.

Reactions: Ozmodiar

CHfan1

Apr 23, 2012
Can't wait to see the results here. I've said many times i think people here hate on Bergevin more than they want to actually win, so we'll see if i'm right.

I voted option 1. I want Bergevin gone and fired - but not so bad so as to pass up on #1 overall.

Two things:

People hate on Bergevin because he doesn’t win. Including this season he has gone 5 straight seasons without a single playoff series win. A record for a Habs GM

and

You’re option in the other thread was would Habs fans rather:

Option 1: Habs win both Stanley Cup and draft Lottery in 2020, and extend Bergevin 5 more years

Option 2: Habs win neither, and fire Bergevin

I'd guess option 2 wins with at least ~80% of the vote. What do you think?

Option 1 (actually winning a Cup) is quite the difference than this poll.

tazsub3

May 30, 2016
can i negotiate? can i get 1st and extension of 2 years?? at least till 1st ready?

optimus2861

Aug 29, 2005
Bedford NS

Even Gretzky needed a proper surrounding cast. He never won a Cup again after he left Edmonton; he reached the final in 93 of course and that was the closest he got. None of LA / St Louis / NYR could get him that supporting cast and get him that elusive fifth Cup.

So fire MB and lose the lottery, easy choice.

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com
I agree. I find it absurd that results are nearly 50-50. I'm by no means an MB supporter, but how could you pass on AL?

8 more years of someone that just makes so many poor choices, MT, Julien, Lefevbre, Alzner, etc...

For my mental health I'd rather have 8th OA and no MB as it's not like we are talking about getting a McDavid imo.

Reactions: CHwest

Kudo Shinichi

Apr 20, 2012
8 more years of someone that just makes so many poor choices, MT, Julien, Lefevbre, Alzner, etc...

For my mental health I'd rather have 8th OA and no MB as it's not like we are talking about getting a McDavid imo.

Its not like the next GM is guaranteed to be good.

Brisebois, who was seen on this board as the ideal next GM for the habs, traded 3 first round picks for Goodrow and Coleman less than a month ago, trade Miller (whos on pace for 86 pts) for a 1st and a 3rd, and extended Cooper last march (every tampa fans want Cooper fired). All that in less than a year...

If this was the habs, there would already be threads on this board about how Brisebois is the worst gm in habs history...

Last edited:

Video Coach

Sep 16, 2005
I can't believe this vote is even close. We haven't had a no. 1 pick since 1980. Haven't had an elite superstar forward since...umm...Lafleur?

We've had some great players over that time - Naslund, Richer, Damphousse, Turgeon, Recchi, Koivu, Kovalev - but no one truly elite.

Alexis will be that. He's got all the tools, but beyond that, he has "it". That special something that only a few players have. His dynamic, game-breaking presence would completely alter our team.

Winning the lottery would be the best thing that could happen to this team since 1993.

While I understand why some fans hate Bergevin, firing him won't do nearly as much for the organization as Lafreniere, simply for the fact that there's no GM that could replace Bergevin that would have as positive an impact as Lafreniere would have.

The Great Weal

Phil's Pizza
Jan 15, 2015
Its not like the next GM is guaranteed to be good.

Brisebois, who was seen on this board as the ideal next GM for the habs, traded 3 first round picks for Goodrow and Coleman less than a month ago, trade Miller (whos on pace for 86 pts) for a 1st and a 3rd, and extended Cooper last march (every tampa fans want Cooper fired). All that in less than a year...

If this was the habs, there would already be threads on this board about how Brisebois is the worst gm in habs history...
Very true, but it is obvious that Bergevin isnt working. A change needs to happen because keeping it the way it is wont get us anywhere.

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com
I know getting 1st OA would be outstanding for our future but the thought of Bergevin being in charge of this club for 8 more years (2+6) just makes me want to puke at the thought. That said while it takes way too long he does seem to slowly be figuring things out like what an ass hat he and his team have been in handling prospects under his rein.

I thought for sure he would rush Caufield to the NHL like he has every other top prospect only to watch Julien put him on the 4th line with Weal and Thompson or whoever if he's not brought back. So maybe there is some hope there that he's learning. It only took him 6 years to figure out he needed a new AHL coach but it only took him just over half a season to figure out Kotka would be better off in the AHL. Maybe he's getting better at this.

I just think he's so polarizing to this fan base that he needs to go no matter what as most fans around here just can't stand him and he's made so many mistakes it would be hard to see him kept around that long.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad