What would you pay to see replacements?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reilly311

I wouldn't pay more than $20. It also depends on how the team is doing. I figure since I've payed more to see the Pens, I'd have no problem paying $20 because they'd be basically the same team talent wise.

I good marketing idea would be that if you buy season tickets to see the scabs, then you get half off season tickets when the real NHL comes back. Something like that. I think if you see the scabs play then you should be rewarded when the NHL comes back.

Go Flames Go*

$31.33 for front row seats.

Al Stachan needs to be beaten up and feed to Modano's dog that bald peice of ****.

Lard_Lad

May 12, 2003
Kelowna
Visit site
So a little over 50% of us would be willing to pay for half-price tickets. Anybody want to do some figuring and see if it's profitable for teams to operate at 25% of gate revenues with rosters made up of 23 guys making the minimum wage?

missK

Aug 1, 2002
Lightning country
Visit site
nyr7andcounting said:
I would only pay to go to MSG to watch scab NHL hockey if they allow me to coach the team for either max 3 line changes or 3 minutes real time, whichever comes first.

Why would anyone pay to watch replacement players when they could either a) watch at home on TV for free if they really were interested, not like theres anything great about seeing those guys in person or b) spend that money to get the college or junior hockey packages on TV and watch all the games you want that are the same level of hockey.

I have had season tickets 10 years so if Lightning ices any type team for hockey, I don't think I have much recourse except to take the tickets so I don't lose my STH number/seat for future seasons. And if there are replacement players, the price better be dropped to significantly less than I'm paying now.

Sanderson

Sep 10, 2002
Hamburg, Germany
FLYLine4LIFE said:
Woahh..some info. No source, its a sentence long. Who is the owner? Who is the friend? BS BS BS. Plus it came from Stan Fishler which should throw up red flags from the start.

Yup, there is no prove for that, but that counts for your comment

There is no way the NHL would sell $20 tickets..even for scab players. Even if they did sell $20 tickets more then 75% of areans will fill up only 25%(IF that). It will never happen.

as well.

Some people really underestimate the possible scabs. Some NHL-players will play, many from the AHL and Europe, talents from the CHL and other junior leagues. It's not like it would be on the level of the ECHL, more like a vastly improved AHL.

FLYLine27*

BUCH
Nov 9, 2004
NY
Sanderson said:
Yup, there is no prove for that, but that counts for your comment

as well.

Some people really underestimate the possible scabs. Some NHL-players will play, many from the AHL and Europe, talents from the CHL and other junior leagues. It's not like it would be on the level of the ECHL, more like a vastly improved AHL.

My comment was obviously an opinion. I did not expect people to think it was fact.

Drake1588

UNATCO
Sponsor
Jul 2, 2002
Northern Virginia
I don't even think I would watch on television, much less attend.

I'm not convinced the league is even prepared to go with replacement players, though. It's potential suicide if fans stay away in droves. If after two months into a replacement season the fans stay away, the players will have the owners by the throat and everyone will know it.

Waiting out the union could be less risky for the league... provided, of course, that owners are prepared to wait that long. They say that they are, but we'll see.

HF2002

Aug 20, 2003
Ottawa
Visit site
The NHL is a gate driven league at the best of times. If the fans don't attend replacement player games and generate any meaningful revenue, the owners aren't going to keep the lights on if there's no chance of improving the on ice product.

If there are enough people willing to go to watch the games and create a situation where the owners can say "you know what, we don't even need those guys back. In 2 or 3 years, we'll get some who trickle back, and the rest of the guys will come from the junior ranks." If this happens, the players are screwed.

Ultimately, it's up to the fans who go and buy tickets that will decide if the lockout/strike ends when scab players are used. The owners have to make tickets cheap enough that people are willing to go.

AM

Nov 22, 2004
Edmonton
Good tickets!

$20 price?

Everyone here would be there. There is absolutely no doubt about it..

Now long term? Then the hockey would have to win your interest.

pei fan

Jan 3, 2004
AM said:
I'd say 90% of the players would cross the line within 2 months.
Once the numbers reached 20% with some big names,then the floodgates would
open.

Also I think several fans would go to the games,thinking it would put pressure on
the players to come back.

joechip

May 29, 2003
Gainesville, Fl
www.sabrerattling.com
FLYLine4LIFE said:
Less then an AHL ticket. So thats about 10 bucks. The AHL has players who are NHL Prospects who will one day make the NHL..not a bunch of scabs who wont make the NHL.

My question is, "How would you know the difference?" As a Ranger fan you've been watching AHL-quality hockey for about 4 years now.

Ta,

joechip

May 29, 2003
Gainesville, Fl
www.sabrerattling.com
FLYLine4LIFE said:
There is no way the NHL would sell $20 tickets..even for scab players. Even if they did sell $20 tickets more then 75% of areans will fill up only 25%(IF that). It will never happen.

You obviously live in NYC. Upper Deck seats in Tampa are $20 normally. Buffalo just dropped similar seats down to a low of $13?

I've gotten 2nd tier ($40+ seats) tickets to Lightning games for $20 per. I'd be willing to pay half that to watch the ECHL return to central Florida for a couple of years until the current crop from Juniors/college are ready to take over.

You enjoy the memories of your FLY line. I'll enjoy some cheap, unpretentious hockey.

Ta,

Hasbro

Family Friend
Sponsor
Apr 1, 2004
South Rectangle
Like I said the teams wioll have some kind of deal with the season ticket holders, who will largely want to keep their tickets and if they don't want to go find ways to get rid of game tickets while keeping their queue or are corperate accounts who don't give a damn.

FLYLine27*

BUCH
Nov 9, 2004
NY
joechip said:
You obviously live in NYC. Upper Deck seats in Tampa are $20 normally. Buffalo just dropped similar seats down to a low of $13?

I've gotten 2nd tier ($40+ seats) tickets to Lightning games for $20 per. I'd be willing to pay half that to watch the ECHL return to central Florida for a couple of years until the current crop from Juniors/college are ready to take over.

You enjoy the memories of your FLY line. I'll enjoy some cheap, unpretentious hockey.

Ta,

Yes cheapest seats in the Garden are about 60-70 bucks. Mine seats in the 100' section are 120 a ticket. Which is about 18 rows up.

Enjoy your cheap, garbage, XFL product while im watching my CHEAPER AHL product which at least has good players. Not a bunch of nobodys who wont go anywhere.

arnie

Dec 20, 2004
FLYLine4LIFE said:
Less then an AHL ticket. So thats about 10 bucks. The AHL has players who are NHL Prospects who will one day make the NHL..not a bunch of scabs who wont make the NHL.

AHL tickets are $10? In your dreams. Even juniors charge more than that.

FLYLine27*

BUCH
Nov 9, 2004
NY
arnie said:
AHL tickets are $10? In your dreams. Even juniors charge more than that.

Monarches - Tickets are 13 bucks, Day of event tickets are $9.
Bridgeport - $16
Phantoms - $14
Rochester - $9
Norfolk - $9
Syracuse -$6
Binghamton - $14
There are a few i just looked up.

So what were you saying in my dreams about?

Last edited:

arnie

Dec 20, 2004
EndBoards said:
Obviously with the season probably going up in smoke during the next week or so, the idea of replacement players will be talked about for the next several months. The pro-owner, we-love-Betteman crowd has been saying stuff like "Bring on the replacements!" for a while now. (Check just about any "your call" section on TSN).

So let's have it.. If the league starts up with replacements, what (in relation to current ticket prices) would you be willing to pay to see them?

I'm mostly interested in what the pro-owner crowd has to say. Obviously the pro-player folks won't be as likely to buy tickets..

Depending on price, I would for several reasons.

1. It will likely be better hockey than the NHL. They players made not be as fast or as talented, but that merely means that there will be more open ice and more action.

2. If the top 500 NHL players had never been born, you'd think that what was left is greatest in the world. I really doubt that anyone would notice the half step difference in speed or the 20 lb difference in weight. A lot of highly skilled smaller players will get a chance to shine. It's the compition that mattters.

3. The stronger the support for the owners, the faster the dispute will be settled. Make no mistake - if the owners do ice there are replacement, it will be to put pressue on the union, not to make money.

LordHelmet

May 19, 2004
Twin Cities
HF2002 said:
The NHL is a gate driven league at the best of times. If the fans don't attend replacement player games and generate any meaningful revenue, the owners aren't going to keep the lights on if there's no chance of improving the on ice product.

If there are enough people willing to go to watch the games and create a situation where the owners can say "you know what, we don't even need those guys back. In 2 or 3 years, we'll get some who trickle back, and the rest of the guys will come from the junior ranks." If this happens, the players are screwed.

Bingo.. That's my exact reason for posting this poll on a few different boards.. The response is overwhelmingly in the 25%-50% range. I think that when push comes to shove, it'll be even lower. It's easy to say that you'll pay full price, but it's a little harder to part with the cash.

In addition I agree that STH's will want to hold on to their tickets, but I also think that they will expect some serious concessions from ownership.

I don't think that the players will cross the lines in droves. Reason: If things start heading this way, then everyone will understand where the battle lines are drawn. If paying fans show up, then the union folds. If paying fans sit and watch on TV, the league folds.

If the players can wait for a year or more, they can certainly hang on for a month or two to see if they'll win or not.

Hasbro

Family Friend
Sponsor
Apr 1, 2004
South Rectangle
The current minimum wage is 375k?

At that rate 23 players x 375= $8,625,000 or roughly 15% of the high end salaries. Even at full price I'm sure the owners could at least draw sustenence revenue.= and there is no way they'd be stupid enough to charge full price.

Scabs broke the last NFL strike in a month.

Perhaps a poll on season ticket holders would be a more accurate gauge.

me2

Go ahead foot
Jun 28, 2002
Make my day.
Hasbro said:
The current minimum wage is 375k?

At that rate 23 players x 375= $8,625,000 or roughly 15% of the high end salaries. Even at full price I'm sure the owners could at least draw sustenence revenue.= and there is no way they'd be stupid enough to charge full price.

None at all. Tickets would be priced to get the rinks at least 50% full. Numbers of fans are more important than total revenue.

Scabs broke the last NFL strike in a month.

Perhaps a poll on season ticket holders would be a more accurate gauge.

There would be changes in the schedules to reduce travel expenses ie less if any East v West games until the playoffs.

They can run AHL teams on shoe string budgets and many of the scabs would be AHLers used to cheapness. They could save millions off the running costs compared to normal.

The clincher will be watching AHLers and scrubs pulling in $375K/y while many NHLPA holdouts are barely covering costs in lesser leagues or doing nothing at all. That'll eat away them pretty quick.

OlTimeHockey

Dec 5, 2003
home
me2 said:
None at all. Tickets would be priced to get the rinks at least 50% full. Numbers of fans are more important than total revenue.

There would be changes in the schedules to reduce travel expenses ie less if any East v West games until the playoffs.

They can run AHL teams on shoe string budgets and many of the scabs would be AHLers used to cheapness. They could save millions off the running costs compared to normal.

The clincher will be watching AHLers and scrubs pulling in $375K/y while many NHLPA holdouts are barely covering costs in lesser leagues or doing nothing at all. That'll eat away them pretty quick.

Not to throw a wet blanket on this, but you're assuming that these future "prospective" replacements will just eat up the chance to:

Most likely alienate themselves from the majority of professional hockey players, (and all professional athletes in general), so that they can play in front of NHL crowds for the absolute minimum amount of money the owners are forced to offer, travelling by bus to away games and staying in the local Motel 6, in order for the owners to sell just enough tickets to make the NHLPA "jealous", so that the REAL players cross the picket line, and the owners can get rid of the replacement players.

And for this, they get to be labelled, (for the rest of their careers), as "scabs", and are most likely prohibited from joining any union which ultimately DOES end up signing the next CBA with the League, whether it's the NHLPA in it's current incarnation, or otherwise......

All for maybe $375,000, (and less than HALF of that after taxes), and the privelege of telling their kids & grandkids that while they never made it into the REAL NHL, they DID cross the picket line and play as a "scab" during the infamous '05-'06 Season.

Sounds like a cherry of a deal for these replacement players, doesn't it?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->