What would you pay for these UFA defencemen?

LeafFever

Feb 12, 2016
If I recall correctly, Green wasn't willing to waive his NTC for Toronto this past trade deadline, so most probably assume he has no interest coming here.
That was from one single tweet and it was denied by Lou. Lou even said they had no interest in him. I think it was b.s.

Brobust

Sep 29, 2017
Mike Green - Don't want
John Carlson - $7 million/year for 5 years
Andrej Sustr - $1 million/year for 1 year
Greg Pateryn - $2.5 million/year for 3 years
Christian Folin - $1 million/year for 1 year
Kevin Bieksa - Don't want
Cody Franson - $1 million/year for 1 year
Calvin De Haan - $4 million/year for 1 year

Reactions: iSophagus

member 147413

What was the last ‘good’ long-ish term, big-ish money free agent signing?

HoweHullOrr

Oct 3, 2013
They will probably go after undervalued players that stats suggested they are bargains. I dont see the leafs going after big names

That won't go over well with the Tavares crowd. Remember how Washington got the biggest UFA fish on the market last summer and how it catapulted them?

Liminality

Oct 22, 2008
That won't go over well with the Tavares crowd. Remember how Washington got the biggest UFA fish on the market last summer and how it catapulted them?
I used to be not on the Tavares boat but I think I've fully jumped on now. It's not often that an elite center of Tavares' caliber reaches free agency. If we miss on him, I'm all for finding the market inefficiencies but grabbing an elite player like Tavares in his prime gives the Leafs unheard of offensive potential up front. Even if it does mean we need to be very resourceful with our defense.

SprDaVE

Sep 20, 2008
That's insane. Greg Pateryn is not an upgrade on what the Leafs currently have. Giving him $2.5 million a season would compound issues and be a disaster.

I think I'd rather just go with Carrick, Holl and Ozhiganov as our bottom RHD depth than to give Pateryn a 3 year contract over 2M per year. That's insane, I agree.

ToneDog

56 years and counting. #FireTheShanaClan!
Jun 11, 2017
Richmond Hill, ON
I used to be not on the Tavares boat but I think I've fully jumped on now. It's not often that an elite center of Tavares' caliber reaches free agency. If we miss on him, I'm all for finding the market inefficiencies but grabbing an elite player like Tavares in his prime gives the Leafs unheard of offensive potential up front. Even if it does mean we need to be very resourceful with our defense.

Welcome aboard.

ToneDog

Jun 11, 2017
Richmond Hill, ON
They will probably go after undervalued players that stats suggested they are bargains. I dont see the leafs going after big names

Don't agree. They have to and will go big as well as small game hunting. Big game = Tavares. Tavares is coming here if that is what he has decided he wants.

I don't think they would be interested in Carlson at $8.5Mx7. Carlson should get as much or more than what OEL is being offered by the Yotes unless there are not many buyers interested at that price point.

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002
I'd take Bieksa on a short deal for the bottom pair if Polak walks.

ToneDog

Jun 11, 2017
Richmond Hill, ON
I think I'd rather just go with Carrick, Holl and Ozhiganov as our bottom RHD depth than to give Pateryn a 3 year contract over 2M per year. That's insane, I agree.

Agreed. Pateryn was earning $800K. I would go 2x$1.25, maybe 2x$1.5 if I had my back up against the wall.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->