What would you pay for these UFA defencemen?

Zizzzzy

Dec 6, 2017
Cody Franson would probably start complaining again the second we signed him.

ULF_55

Feb 27, 2002
Mountain Standard Ti
Visit site
Hi all. Just curious about what you guys and gals would be willing to pay for some upcoming UFA defenders. I think most of us are expecting a change on the blueline this offseason. I listed just some of the highlights for right-handed UFA's. But feel free to add other names with your guess, and I know some might be re-signed by their current team. If you don't want a guy just ignore that name, they're not all shiny.

Please list the max cap number (and years if you want) to each guy you would be interested in, assuming we only sign one of them. So giving an offer on 3 players doesn't mean you would try to sign all 3 at the same time for those numbers.

Mike Green
John Carlson
Andrej Sustr
Greg Pateryn
Christian Folin
Kevin Bieksa
Cody Franson

Edit: added players as suggested:
Calvin DeHaan (lefty who can play on the right)

Depends on the rules for the expansion draft and what they're doing with Gardiner.

If they have to leave Liljegren in the minors another year to exempt him for Seattle then sign someone for 3 years so they can be available for Seattle.

If they're keeping Gardiner, see about getting him a stronger d-partner ...

To be honest, I'd rather they see what they have in the minors. If they can't evaluate talent well enough to find a couple defenders after 3 years of being in charge what hope is there? I'm referring to the Euro's they've brought over not via the draft that take longer to develop and rank/evaluate.

Borgman, Rosen, Ozhiganov, Holl - 1 or 2 of these in the NHL full-time depending on Gardiner.

I can see them making a trade for a defender, a 2nd. pairing at best.

Of the listed:
Andrej Sustr - 2.5
Greg Pateryn - 2.5

Reactions: iSophagus

FabledKnight

Feb 20, 2008
Depends on the rules for the expansion draft and what they're doing with Gardiner.

If they have to leave Liljegren in the minors another year to exempt him for Seattle then sign someone for 3 years so they can be available for Seattle.

If they're keeping Gardiner, see about getting him a stronger d-partner ...

To be honest, I'd rather they see what they have in the minors. If they can't evaluate talent well enough to find a couple defenders after 3 years of being in charge what hope is there? I'm referring to the Euro's they've brought over not via the draft that take longer to develop and rank/evaluate.

Borgman, Rosen, Ozhiganov, Holl - 1 or 2 of these in the NHL full-time depending on Gardiner.

I can see them making a trade for a defender, a 2nd. pairing at best.

Of the listed:
Andrej Sustr - 2.5
Greg Pateryn - 2.5

Ahl or Nhl counts toward pro experience based on last expansion. If the ex draft happens next year Lilligren will still be exempt because it'll happen before July 1st. Now if the ex draft happens the following summer Lillgren will have to be protected.

At least that's what I can remember from Vegas draft rules.

Pyrophorus

Jun 1, 2009
Eastern GTA
You would have to do a cost comparison on De Haan and Gardiner.
Then evaluate both on the pros and cons as well as what this means for the team makeup.
You can decide on one or the other if that's the avenue you want to pursue. I'ts most likely one or the other.
If De Haan is a viable fit and comes in at better cost control, you can deal Gardiner to address the 3C on the team.
You can look at a player like Folin to replace Polak or touch base with Carolina in regards to Faulk/Pesce/etc.

At the latest I deal Jake at the TDL.

pucky

Jan 11, 2011
People can disagree but I'm sorry you can't keep going with Rielly/Gardiner/Hainsey/Zaitsev. Dermott looks like he'll be a solid NHLer but he's young at the moment and needs time. Even with his natural progression, the above 4 need to change. Unpredictable at the worst times. Individually I know they have traits people like and some of you are attached but it's not good enough as a whole. I wouldn't be paying Gardiner 6 million/year (don't know what he wants just an estimate). That's pretty much 5 of the same 6 we aren't upgrading. So throw in a bottom 6 D and the results are different?
Are you a Leafs fan? That's the most sensible thing I've read in the Leafs section. I'm impressed. Kudos.

Trapper

Nov 21, 2013
Are you a Leafs fan? That's the most sensible thing I've read in the Leafs section. I'm impressed. Kudos.
People like to say it's the crest on the front of the jersey not the name on the back. Except when it is a name on the back. Oh no, we can't do that. Not (insert favourite name on back) Well we're going to have to. We need consistency that we're not getting. A better balance.

HoweHullOrr

Oct 3, 2013
Example = 1st + 4th + Carrick + Bracco + Pickard (for Pesce)

I wish that would do it

Ya, it would be nice if the Canes took that deal, but it seems light. Doubt if the Canes would be too excited about most of those pieces i.e., 4th, Carrick, Bracco. I think another team would offer up more and we'd need to add something substantial (versus lesser bits) on top of the 1st to swing this deal.

drewjenks

Oct 1, 2017
Canada
no combination of those assets would get you Pesce. they need a starting goaltender or high end scoring if there going to move him.

I wish that would do it

That was just an example - but is he Doughty or is he Brett Pesce?

New Offer = 1st + 4th + Brown + Carrick + Leivo + Brooks + Pickard.

That's a massive over payment, but we could still afford it without issue, which is the point.

Ziggdiezan

Apr 10, 2015
That was just an example - but is he Doughty or is he Brett Pesce?

New Offer = 1st + 4th + Brown + Carrick + Leivo + Brooks + Pickard.

That's a massive over payment, but we could still afford it without issue, which is the point.
That is a lot of quanity but not enough quality to break up their top pairing.

Not sure what their contract situation but that is a lot of contract spots to take on for Carolina.

Canada4Gold

Dec 22, 2010
Mike Green: 3 million
John Carlson: 6.5 million
Andrej Sustr: 2.5 million
Greg Pateryn: 1.5 million
Christian Folin: 1 million
Kevin Bieksa: 650k
Cody Franson: 1 million
Calvin DeHaan: 4 million

ElbowLander

Jan 12, 2018
Thomas Hickey is another UFA as well. Although he is left handed shot

Same with Clayton Stoner who might be worth taking a flyer on.

crump

~ ~ (ړײ) ~ ~
Feb 26, 2004
Ontariariario
Pateryn would be a cheap yet solid depth guy to replace Polak. I'm hoping Zaitsev has a better year and the new Igor Oz fello is a sensation.

hoglund

Dec 8, 2013
Canada
Personally I can't afford to pay for even a bad defensemen, but the Leafs should pay 4 million if they don't resign JVR or Bozak.

drewjenks

Oct 1, 2017
Canada
That is a lot of quanity but not enough quality to break up their top pairing.

Not sure what their contract situation but that is a lot of contract spots to take on for Carolina.

Ya man - 1st round pick & a 20 goal rookie is not considered quality....

Ziggdiezan

Apr 10, 2015
Ya man - 1st round pick & a 20 goal rookie is not considered quality....
Not enough quality for the Hurricane to break up their top pairing. Pesce is playing on their top pairing, is 23 years old and is paid 4 million for the next 6 years. They are going to want 1 big piece back not a collection of lesser pieces

I like Brown and a first is a first (very late 1st in this case) but would you deal a young defender playing on the top pairing for that package? Also taking on like 5 contract spots.

Ziggdiezan

Apr 10, 2015
which of nashvilles top 4 or prospect/combo would yall trade for marner/nylander

also, sorry about bringing up trades in a FA thread
Can't see Marner getting traded. Local boy who loves the Leafs and plays with heart. He isn't going anywhere.

The other Nashville defenders either aren't worth Nylander or he isn't worth their best top pairing guys.

Liminality

Oct 22, 2008
I'd love to sign Carlson.

8m x 7yrs

Rielly-Carlson
Gardiner-Hainsey
Dermott-Zaitsev
I think there's going to be a bidding war for Carlson if the Caps don't sign him. I'd expect to see something like 7.5-8m. Something along the lines of the Burns contract.

Tak7

Nov 1, 2009
GTA or the UK
From an Analytics perspective, he isn't all that good. Shot suppression is decentt. But, Corsi, Coris relative, Fenwick, Fenwick relative, offensively... subpar. Borgman has better stats...

I haven't looked too deep into his numbers, so thanks for this.

Where are you pulling his stats from?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad