What would you like CBJ management to do?

What should the org do ?

• Total voters

Johansen2Foligno

CBJ Realest
Jan 2, 2015
No sense in doing anything this year until the deadline. Maybe you can take on some expiring salary at the TDL if you think you can try and make a run.

I would just play it out and see what we have.

Reactions: Cyclones Rock

thebus88

19/20 Columbus Blue Jackets: "It Is What It Is"
Sep 27, 2017
Michigan
Savard currently has 0 goals, 0 assists, 0 points, 4 shots, and is a -5.
Werenski currently has 1 goal, 1 assist, 2 points, 12 shots ans is a -3.

Not sure how Werenski has been more dissapointing than Savard.

Also, why isn't Jenner being talked about on this board? Maybe I missed it, since I don't read many of the threads on here, but he has 0 points and is a team worst -6.

Both Jenner and Savard should not be judged simply by their offensive stats. Especially in Savard's case, usage and what he is mainly tasked with doing on the ice, affect his "numbers".

While Jenner is obviously given more of an opportunity to put up points, it should also be noted that he is the guy who most of the time is the center matched up against the other teams top (offensive) lines on a nightly basis. It should also be realized by anybody who has watched the games, that his lack of statistical production has nothing to do with a lack of him producing quite a few chances that were very close to goals, not to mention just overall GOOD play from him. While I think his swooping wrist shot is quite deadly and underrated, I don't think anybody is fully satisfied with Jenner's overall finishing ability. I would love for him to actually attempt to use his choppy -but decent- hands and stickwork to drive to the net more instead of forcing shots, and for him to just calm down when he gets in close or in a 1 on 1 situation with a goalie or defenseman.

If Jenner would have finished each (or 75%) of his "high danger scoring chances" this year, the team probably has 1 loss.

Reactions: CBJWennberg10

thebus88

19/20 Columbus Blue Jackets: "It Is What It Is"
Sep 27, 2017
Michigan
meh

Now: Look for a 2c, give Nash starts until then.
Later: try to trade Jones or Werenski for a #1a center.

Rather have 2xcenters and 1xdefenseman as a core
Than 1xcenter and 2xdefensemen.

And while Werenski isnt as good as Jones ATM, I think he would make a "good-enough" number 1 dman to build (no building necessary) a championship team around.

WHAT!?

There's a reason Werenski only looks like a true top pairing defenseman when he plays with Jones.

Reactions: MoeBartoli

Cyclones Rock

Jun 12, 2008
At this point, it's let it ride for me. While 2.2 GF per game with one regulation win out of 5 games and a sub .900 team save percentage is obviously not a winning formula, the die was cast for this roster when the FO did very little to make up for the loss of Panarin.

If they are in contention come a month before the TD, then picking up a rental might make sense.

Next off season a top tier offensive forward is the #1 priority along with (most likely) a better goalie.

Last edited:

koteka

Jan 1, 2017
Central Ohio
Hockey Night in Canada talked about the Devils and said the talk is that if they don't turn things around quickly, Hall could the person on the move again. That's the reason he came to mind right away.

Hall isn’t coming here. If he doesn’t sign an extension with the Devils, he is hitting free agency. We aren’t giving up assets for a rental. Heck, we don’t have assets for a rental. He’ll go somewhere in the West like Vegas, the Ducks, or the Blues who have the draft picks to make a move and are legit contenders. I could see the Ducks looking for a rental like Hall if Getzlaf is healthy at the deadline. Jersey might even get a good bidding war if a team like Vegas (they have like a million 2nd round picks plus their firsts) wants to keep a team like the Ducks from getting Hall.

And then Hall will sign with a good team that offers him a 7 year contract in the off season.

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
Hall isn’t coming here. If he doesn’t sign an extension with the Devils, he is hitting free agency. We aren’t giving up assets for a rental. Heck, we don’t have assets for a rental. He’ll go somewhere in the West like Vegas, the Ducks, or the Blues who have the draft picks to make a move and are legit contenders. I could see the Ducks looking for a rental like Hall if Getzlaf is healthy at the deadline. Jersey might even get a good bidding war if a team like Vegas (they have like a million 2nd round picks plus their firsts) wants to keep a team like the Ducks from getting Hall.

We do have the assets for a rental (or several rentals), we would just rather not spend them. Mark Stone, a better player than Hall, cost Erik Brannstrom. Emil Bemstrom is probably worth about the same as him. We've got all of our future 1st round picks and about a dozen B prospects. And more top 4 D than we know what to do with. We don't want to move our assets, it's not that we don't have them.

spintheblackcircle

incoming!!!
Mar 1, 2002
And while Werenski isnt as good as Jones ATM, I think he would make a "good-enough" number 1 dman to build (no building necessary) a championship team around.

No, he's not. He can't play defense. I thought he would learn, but he not gotten any better in his own end. He's the 6th best defensive-defenseman on the team. I can't see why he is out there on the PK, it's a mess.

The Jones Zone

Nov 27, 2013
Raleigh, NC
Package Wennberg with choice of Harrington, Kukan or Nuti for an upgrade at Center

Wennberg is never going to be the 2C the Jackets need. Never

absolutely no reason to keep having 2 healthy scratches at D.....

And Clendening played well in the playoffs last year I thought.....he's a guy I see and wonder how he's
still in the AHL

EspenK

Sep 25, 2011
What I'd really like them to do is evaluate the team as a team and try to figure out how to build a cohesive unit that plays well together. I think we have a bunch of pretty good players but I'm not sure the pieces are there to mesh into a consistently cohesive unit. I'm sure the undying optimists will disagree but to each is own. And I really think they need to evaluate Torts and his use of young players.

JacketsDavid

Jan 11, 2013
I think we need to be patient.

I agree we have blue line depth but I don't think adding a 3rd line forward accomplishes anything. I personally wouldn't trade Z. We're stuck at goalie - we made our bed and need to sleep in it. If we ry to send Elvis down he will likely go home.

Jackets16

Jan 7, 2005
You don't give your 8th best Dman that kind of term.

What if Gavrikov wasn't ready? What if Murray was hurt? What if Werenski didn't want to sign? It was a cheap contract to keep a good #6 defenseman on the team. I know people on here like to complain about everything, but this is even amazing for this board.

Last edited:

domi28

Dec 5, 2017
What if Gavrikov wasn't ready? What if Murray was hurt? What if Werenski didn't want to sign? It was a cheap contract to keep a good #6 defenseman on the team. I know people on here like to complain about everything, but this is even amazing for this board.

He's not a good #6 though. He's a 6 or 7 on most teams in the league and no better than a serviceable dman signed to a 1 year $700k contract.

When Jarmo pays PLD and Andy and a goalie and etc next summer I'm going to look at that Harrington contract as one of the reasons there won't be enough cap space to go after a high end UFA player. Even if Dubi gets bought out.

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
He's not a good #6 though. He's a 6 or 7 on most teams in the league and no better than a serviceable dman signed to a 1 year $700k contract.

When Jarmo pays PLD and Andy and a goalie and etc next summer I'm going to look at that Harrington contract as one of the reasons there won't be enough cap space to go after a high end UFA player. Even if Dubi gets bought out.

If we're so fortunate to be tight to the cap, Harrington could be moved without difficulty. There have been plenty of worse D-men making more than him that got moved. For the record I don't think he's a "good #6", he's more of a "good #6/7", but looking around the league most clubs have #6/7 guys making more than $1m per, there's demand for what he brings.

Jarmo makes these head scratching deals for bottom liners from time to time. Remember the Boll contract? It’s inexplicable really.

That was a mind boggling pointless deal. But I think it was more costly to the team when he decided to let Derek Mackenzie go because he didn't want to do multi-year deals with 4th liners, and then let Letestu go rather than match his reasonable salary demands. We replaced Mackenzie and Comeau with Skille and Tropp, and the next year replaced Letestu with Greg Campbell. We went from having one of the best 4th lines to having one of the worst 4th lines. Obviously we don't presently need Harrington as much, I'm just saying that sometimes letting guys go is worse than a multi-year deal.

Cyclones Rock

Jun 12, 2008

A $700,000 contract can be "buried" in the minors with no impact on the team NHL cap hit. $1,075,000 is the highest portion of a contract which can be "buried" this season.
NHL CBA 101: How Do Buried Contracts Work?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->