What would you like CBJ management to do?

What should the org do ?

• Total voters

koteka

Jan 1, 2017
Central Ohio
I think the Jackets would strongly prefer to steer a course in between rentals and selling off for picks.

Agreed. But needing a rental means the goalie thing worked out this year and we are a playoff team looking to make a run. So it basically would turn into Murray for RNH or some other good rental (+/- other pieces).

I think Murray is a player that is nice to have on the Jackets, but we have plenty of D and could easily offset his loss. I do not think he brings back a good enough forward as the main piece of a trade, so I would prefer to have picks/prospects to whatever mediocre forward he would return. If we trade a couple of D and get Pysyk back that opens up a spot for Peake next year and also means we don’t need to rush him this year.

Dumais

It's All In The Reflexes
Jul 24, 2013
If we are to trade Murray, I’d like to get back a proven forward than a pick gamble
Jarmo seems a good judge of a player and their potential. He's not perfect (3x1st round picks in 2013, Wennberg, Rychel, Dano ouch) but he does have past experiences he can draw on and I see him as one of the better judges of talent in the NHL. If he can find a young unproven C that he believes can fill the 2c gap in the next couple of years, I hope he goes for it. Nice thing is we can send a center back (Wennberg if someone will take him or Jenner/Nash) along with Murray to get a player back with better potential or more proven. And to be honest, I dont want to give up Murray at all, he's arguably better than Jones at D IMO.

Reactions: thebus88

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
Agreed. But needing a rental means the goalie thing worked out this year and we are a playoff team looking to make a run. So it basically would turn into Murray for RNH or some other good rental (+/- other pieces).

I've been one of the more prominent optimists on the board, and I still think we have a good shot at making the playoffs and maybe going on a run. But I can just about rule out renting. It only happened last year because the stars were leaving. With a lineup this young I think Jarmo just lets them mature.

And if we were renting, I'd be hesitant to trade Murray+ for an RNH rental. I watch a lot of Edmonton and I don't think he's as big of an upgrade as his reputation would suggest. At even strength he's not any better than putting Foligno at center. If anyone wants a long-winded argument to back that view up, just let me know.

And to be honest, I dont want to give up Murray at all, he's arguably better than Jones at D IMO.

I was responding to the view that only trading Werenski can get us a center upgrade. That view might be true, I brought up Murray, because I think some teams might really want him badly enough. But I also badly don't want to trade Murray.

Reactions: thebus88 and Dumais

Jyrki

Benning has been purged! VANmen!
May 24, 2011
溫哥華
I think we need to tank this season to try to acquire a top F talent, and between now and next July find a steady goalie presence. Maybe a blessing in disguising Duchene didn't sign as we have a shot at someone like Lafreniere or Byfield. Not too eager to hop on the fire Torts bandwagon because honestly we have a bottom 10 forward crops and probably the worst goalie tandem right now. I don't know which asset we can sell high right now to address a need. Wennberg is worth scraps, GM's will be skeptical to take on injury-prone Murray. Anderson or Werenski could be trade bait that garner a suitable return but we don't have good replacements for either coming up.

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
I think we need to tank this season to try to acquire a top F talent, and between now and next July find a steady goalie presence. Maybe a blessing in disguising Duchene didn't sign as we have a shot at someone like Lafreniere or Byfield. Not too eager to hop on the fire Torts bandwagon because honestly we have a bottom 10 forward crops and probably the worst goalie tandem right now. I don't know which asset we can sell high right now to address a need. Wennberg is worth scraps, GM's will be skeptical to take on injury-prone Murray. Anderson or Werenski could be trade bait that garner a suitable return but we don't have good replacements for either coming up.

Which players do you think we should sell off to secure a top draft pick?

Our best players are under 25. It doesn't make sense to trade them. That and the team is too deep to tank. You'd have to move a lot of pieces out. And look at New Jersey's struggles, you can't just put humpty dumpty back together again.

Reactions: thebus88

Jyrki

Benning has been purged! VANmen!
May 24, 2011
溫哥華
Which players do you think we should sell off to secure a top draft pick?

Our best players are under 25. It doesn't make sense to trade them. That and the team is too deep to tank. You'd have to move a lot of pieces out. And look at New Jersey's struggles, you can't just put humpty dumpty back together again.

We do have our 1st rounder so we don't HAVE to make a big trade, that was the point I was trying to get across. We don't really have the mix of assets to acquire a top talent without giving one up ourselves. The biggest impact would be trying to sell someone like Anderson or Werenski in a Hall-for-Larsson situation. Otherwise the best we could would do be shedding some excess fat at the deadline.

koteka

Jan 1, 2017
Central Ohio
In the next 2 years we have 2 1st, no 2nd, and 1 3rd round pick. Last year our highest pick was in the 4th round. I am completely ok with Jarmo going for it last year. I also wouldn’t mind having more picks at the top of the next 2 drafts either to restock our prospect pool or use for trades or both.

Here is the board’s ranking of prospects. The separations are mine.

1. Alexandre Texier (LW/C)
2. Vladislav Gavrikov (D)
3. Emil Bemstrom (LW/C)

4. Liam Foudy (C)
5. Daniil Tarasov (G)
6. Andrew Peeke (D)
7. Veini Vehviläinen (G)

8. Trey Fix-Wolansky (RW)
9. Kirill Marchenko (RW/LW)
10. Kevin Stenlund (C)
11. Gabriel Carlsson (D)

12. Eric Robinson (LW)
13. Eric Hjorth (D)
14. Marcus Karlberg (LW/RW)
15. Kole Sherwood (RW)

The top 3 are really solid prospects. Every team would like to have prospects like these guys. They are already on the Jackets.

The next 4 are good prospects. 2 are goalies and 1 is a D. The 4th is wicked fast but needs to develop and unfortunately not allowed to play in the AHL this year.

The next 4 are ok. TFW is tiny but tough. We’ll see how he does. Marchenko hasn’t seemed interested in the CBJ. Stenlund is 23 and hasn’t exactly been tearing up the AHL.

The next group is a couple of guys who would likely top out as bottom 6 forwards and another tiny guy.

I am really fine with trading D for picks and prospects. Beyond Foudy the forward group could use an infusion of talent.

Old Guy

Just waitin' on my medication.
Aug 30, 2015
I don't want the team to tank. I'm just fine with where this team is currently. If the CBJ miss the playoffs this season, I will not be triggered or go apoplectic. IMO, It is just fine to have the youngest team in the league, no superstars and cap space. I love the defense of this team. I believe the goaltenders will come around. I also believe that scoring will begin to appear as some of these young guys get acclimated.

I'm just fine letting this percolate and Jarmo keeping his powder dry (apologies for the mixed metaphors).

Dumais

It's All In The Reflexes
Jul 24, 2013
I don't want to tank, (bad for young players) but would rather miss the playoffs if Jarmo doesn't make a blockbuster trade. I would take any lottery roll for Lafreniere than making playoffs with this group.

Double-Shift Lasse

Just post better
Dec 22, 2004
Exurban Cbus
I don't want the team to tank. I'm just fine with where this team is currently. If the CBJ miss the playoffs this season, I will not be triggered or go apoplectic. IMO, It is just fine to have the youngest team in the league, no superstars and cap space. I love the defense of this team. I believe the goaltenders will come around. I also believe that scoring will begin to appear as some of these young guys get acclimated.

I'm just fine letting this percolate and Jarmo keeping his powder dry (apologies for the mixed metaphors).

What is WRONG with you?

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
I don't want to tank, (bad for young players) but would rather miss the playoffs if Jarmo doesn't make a blockbuster trade. I would take any lottery roll for Lafreniere than making playoffs with this group.

There's two games of chance, the draft lottery and the playoffs, the one that matters. And your chances of winning the cup with a #16 playoff seed are higher than winning the Lafreniere pick with the 17th best record in the league (1%).

Dumais

It's All In The Reflexes
Jul 24, 2013
There's two games of chance, the draft lottery and the playoffs, the one that matters. And your chances of winning the cup with a #16 playoff seed are higher than winning the Lafreniere pick with the 17th best record in the league (1%).
350.png

Reactions: majormajor

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
Here is the board’s ranking of prospects. The separations are mine.

1. Alexandre Texier (LW/C)
2. Vladislav Gavrikov (D)
3. Emil Bemstrom (LW/C)

I'm struck seeing this by how good Texier and Gavrikov have been. Our hopes have been confirmed so far. And though Bemstrom hasn't clicked yet, he's only 20. I see him as a similar type of player to Victor Olofsson, who is 4 years older. Comparing their stats, Bemstrom is definitely further along than Olofsson was at that age. I see Bemstrom as potentially making an Olofsson type of impact in a couple years.

Jackets fans are spoiled. People were complaining about the prospect pool, the lack of guarantees, no blue-chippers, etc... And we get good players nonetheless. All three of these guys were taken outside the 1st round, on day 2. The Avs haven't gotten a player out of a day 2 pick since the 2009 draft.

Old Guy

Aug 30, 2015
What is WRONG with you?

I'm not like the majority. Yes, I want to win. But I'm a patient and optimistic guy. When this team took the ice in October 2000, I thought they would have a track record of more success by now. But they don't. But nobody can change history, so I quit focusing upon past failures long ago. The fact that Jarmo swings when he has his chances, cuts bait when he doesn't think somebody is going to contribute, and is patient appeals to me.

If appreciating methodical and steady is wrong....then I am wrong. And I will continue to be wrong in a methodical and steady manner.

Viqsi

"that chick from Ohio"
Oct 5, 2007
40N 83W (approx)
I'm not like the majority. Yes, I want to win. But I'm a patient and optimistic guy. When this team took the ice in October 2000, I thought they would have a track record of more success by now. But they don't. But nobody can change history, so I quit focusing upon past failures long ago. The fact that Jarmo swings when he has his chances, cuts bait when he doesn't think somebody is going to contribute, and is patient appeals to me.

If appreciating methodical and steady is wrong....then I am wrong. And I will continue to be wrong in a methodical and steady manner.
But.. but... but then how are you supposed to win on the Internet? :scared:
;)

Double-Shift Lasse

Just post better
Dec 22, 2004
Exurban Cbus

8c3.jpg

Reactions: Fro and thebus88

thebus88

19/20 Columbus Blue Jackets: "It Is What It Is"
Sep 27, 2017
Michigan
I also think we do have a superstar player on this roster.

At the most important position on the ice.

I don't know if people just assume that everything they post should be seen or read as, "-other than Seth Jones- insert pessimistic chicken little comment!!-"

BUT

I still find the amount of posts, opinions, and the mindset that seems to just brush over the fact that Seth Jones exists, plays on the CBJ, and just how good of a player he really is, quite fascinating. In general, from all of the "optimistic" and "pessimistic" fans of the CBJ, to most of the fans of other teams.

I mean, where is the All Purpose Norris Candidate Seth Jones Thread...??

Reactions: MoeBartoli

Perratrooper

May 26, 2016
Alberta
Since I'm having a hard time gauging where to put this, I was curious what the value of Savard to Colorado would be.

Double-Shift Lasse

Just post better
Dec 22, 2004
Exurban Cbus
Since I'm having a hard time gauging where to put this, I was curious what the value of Savard to Colorado would be.

It's actually pretty difficult to say. Savard is a vet, and while he doesn't wear a letter, he has served in a mentoring role. He's also proven the ability to elevate his game. And righties are a premium.

There would have been a time that posters here would only have considered a roster forward in return. Recently, there has been some discussion about stockpiling picks and prospects to replenish a somewhat deleted pool (although that position is hardly universal).

My take is it's not likely you'll get a get deal for Savard because he may have extra value to the organization that doesn't impact his price in trade. Broadly, if you're looking to construct a package, top 6 left-winger or center is the place to start.

Old Guy

Aug 30, 2015
Currently a 28 year old right handed defenseman. This year and one more remaining at a cap hit of 4.5 million.

David Savard gave an outstanding account of himself in the Tampa series, and probably a bit less so in the Boston series last year. But the play was none to rich for him. If you were looking for a deal now, it would probably be a first round pick and a prospect. At the trade deadline, it is probably similar assuming nothing major changes in his health or game.

A first round pick might sound rich, but the Blue Jackets are dealing from a position of strength. They don't need to trade him. Through six games, the only need is more offense. But all advanced stats seem to point to a lack of finish, not a lack of chances. I think the team is willing to wait for a larger sample size, unless a "blown-away" offer lands on the desk. We assume that's not what would be offered. Like DSL above, its difficult to say what it would take. The team has graduated 4 prospects to the roster (Gavrikov, Bemstrom, Texier and Merzlikins). (actually 5 - forgot Lilja, but leave it at 4 in case Dubinsky comes off IR). While I doubt there are 4 jobs available over the next couple years, the draft picks are needed to acquire more prospects to develop.

Reactions: Double-Shift Lasse

Perratrooper

May 26, 2016
Alberta
Currently a 28 year old right handed defenseman. This year and one more remaining at a cap hit of 4.5 million.

David Savard gave an outstanding account of himself in the Tampa series, and probably a bit less so in the Boston series last year. But the play was none to rich for him. If you were looking for a deal now, it would probably be a first round pick and a prospect. At the trade deadline, it is probably similar assuming nothing major changes in his health or game.

A first round pick might sound rich, but the Blue Jackets are dealing from a position of strength. They don't need to trade him. Through six games, the only need is more offense. But all advanced stats seem to point to a lack of finish, not a lack of chances. I think the team is willing to wait for a larger sample size, unless a "blown-away" offer lands on the desk. We assume that's not what would be offered. Like DSL above, its difficult to say what it would take. The team has graduated 4 prospects to the roster (Gavrikov, Bemstrom, Texier and Merzlikins). (actually 5 - forgot Lilja, but leave it at 4 in case Dubinsky comes off IR). While I doubt there are 4 jobs available over the next couple years, the draft picks are needed to acquire more prospects to develop.

Your rational for value is understandable and I appreciate the great feedback from both of you. I would tend to agree the price is a bit on the steep side. Where does a package around Jost land us in terms of trying to gauge value.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->