What would you like CBJ management to do?

What should the org do ?

• Total voters

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
A $700,000 contract can be "buried" in the minors with no impact on the team NHL cap hit. $1,075,000 is the highest portion of a contract which can be "buried" this season.
NHL CBA 101: How Do Buried Contracts Work?

More specifically, Harrington would only have a $558,333 cap hit if he was sent to Cleveland. You can shave $1.075m off. But if it came to that it's more likely he'd just be traded. With those options I don't see it as a risky deal.

stevo61

Jul 5, 2011
Canada
Its funny to me, Korpisalo's numbers are pretty similar to Bobs his last year in Philly and they decided to give up on him for an older goalie with experience. They ended up with a mess in goal and we got a 2 time Vezina winner. How about we stop pretending the grass is always greener and let Korpi string together some games to see how he responds

domi28

Dec 5, 2017
More specifically, Harrington would only have a $558,333 cap hit if he was sent to Cleveland. You can shave $1.075m off. But if it came to that it's more likely he'd just be traded. With those options I don't see it as a risky deal.

Who's trading for a $1.6m #6-7 dman? GMs aren't giving up assets for that when they can sign a guy that will provide the same thing Harrington does and not give up anything.

Bury his contract? I can't see the FO (Priest specifically) being okay with paying a guy $1.6m in real $$$ to play in Cleveland.

I think Jarmo has done a good job for the most part but the Harrington signing is a head scratcher.

For the record I voted for do nothing but I wish the tank or hope for a miracle wasn't attached to it. I'm good with do nothing but see where things stand around January 1st and go from there.

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
Who's trading for a $1.6m #6-7 dman? GMs aren't giving up assets for that when they can sign a guy that will provide the same thing Harrington does and not give up anything.

Every year GMs acquire #6/7 guys during the season. Either they have injuries or their depth can't cut it. I didn't mean to imply that they gave up good assets in the trade.

Bury his contract? I can't see the FO (Priest specifically) being okay with paying a guy $1.6m in real $$$ to play in Cleveland.

I don't know if Priest has much say about the hockey side. In any case, this is a thing that clubs do sometimes. The Jackets are currently paying Fedor Tyutin and Scott Hartnell to not play, I wouldn't say they're above paying someone to play in the AHL. And it's all sunk cost anyways, if he can't play it doesn't matter where you assign him.

Finner

Dec 8, 2018
Well i cant see any reason to trade a goalie. We can watch at Florida what they get for 10M/y. I think its offence what we need and no Werenski trade. We have young guns in AHL who has some value. Make trade with Milano and other young gun for decent 2nd line winger or put a pick in there and add 1st line winger.

Pistol Pete

Dec 17, 2007
Hey everyone! Sharks fan coming in peace. I really love your team and believe their is a solid core in place. Last year showed the rest of the league what a great place Columbus is!

Regarding your goaltending, I would give Korpi and Elvis a couple of months to see what they can do. If you still want/need an upgrade in net, the FA market will have some interesting options this summer. I wouldn’t waste any assets on trading for one before then.

I was thinking the other day that V. Trocheck (26, signed for 2 more years at $4.75m) in Florida would be a great fit for your team. It would allow Torts to establish true 1A & 1B lines. The Panthers are in need of some defensive help and that’s one thing CBJ currently has an abundance of. I wonder if a Trocheck for Wennberg ($2m retained), a LD (Harrington?), Milano/a non top-5 prospect, and a 2nd/3rd round pick might make some sense.

Having PLD and Trocheck as a 1-2 punch down the middle would be pretty awesome. Also, it would still maintain your cap space to allow for another major addition at the deadline or during the summer.

Double-Shift Lasse

Just post better
Dec 22, 2004
Exurban Cbus
Hey everyone! Sharks fan coming in peace. I really love your team and believe their is a solid core in place. Last year showed the rest of the league what a great place Columbus is!

Regarding your goaltending, I would give Korpi and Elvis a couple of months to see what they can do. If you still want/need an upgrade in net, the FA market will have some interesting options this summer. I wouldn’t waste any assets on trading for one before then.

I was thinking the other day that V. Trocheck (26, signed for 2 more years at $4.75m) in Florida would be a great fit for your team. It would allow Torts to establish true 1A & 1B lines. The Panthers are in need of some defensive help and that’s one thing CBJ currently has an abundance of. I wonder if a Trocheck for Wennberg ($2m retained), a LD (Harrington?), Milano/a non top-5 prospect, and a 2nd/3rd round pick might make some sense.

Having PLD and Trocheck as a 1-2 punch down the middle would be pretty awesome. Also, it would still maintain your cap space to allow for another major addition at the deadline or during the summer.

Trochek has been a name much discussed around here, but not recently. I agree he’s a great fit but I don’t think that package comes close. Yes, he’s struggled some, but he profiles pretty nicely.

Reactions: Pistol Pete

Viqsi

"that chick from Ohio"
Oct 5, 2007
40N 83W (approx)
It'd make a ton of sense for us, but shockingly little for the Panthers.

Reactions: Pistol Pete

Dumais

It's All In The Reflexes
Jul 24, 2013
It'd make a ton of sense for us, but shockingly little for the Panthers.
They would want Werenski.
If they would take package including Murray or anything else really...
but it's Werenski...
and I'm not there yet.

DEF

Oct 24, 2008
White Castle's
Next time Cleveland has a game on a Jackets night off, send Elvis to Cleveland to get playing time. Call him back so he doesn't have to miss a game in Columbus. Having just gone through camp with the Cleveland players, he shouldn't have problems adjusting to them.

ViD

#CBJNeedHugs
Sponsor
Apr 21, 2007
Blue Jackets Area
Next time Cleveland has a game on a Jackets night off, send Elvis to Cleveland to get playing time. Call him back so he doesn't have to miss a game in Columbus. Having just gone through camp with the Cleveland players, he shouldn't have problems adjusting to them.
Why can’t we send him now and have someone else polish the bench ?

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
I haven't watched any Panthers games this year so I don't really know much about Trocheck besides the stats. I know he was basically #1C quality a couple years back, and fell back from that peak due to injury. If he's still an above average #2C I think the Jackets would be interested. And I wouldn't rule out the Panthers being interested in a non-Werenski package. It would just have to be a lot better than the one cited above, and they'd have to be by chance very interested in Ryan Murray, or perhaps Nuti. Murray is one of those guys that scouts could have strongly divergent opinions on. Panthers are looking for D help, perhaps a Panthers scout watched Murray's last game (where he was our MVP), and sent back the tape "Dale: must watch". We don't know.

Murray +
Wennberg ($1m retained)

for

Trocheck
Pysyk (salary dump to keep Panthers under the cap)

Cyclones Rock

Jun 12, 2008
I haven't watched any Panthers games this year so I don't really know much about Trocheck besides the stats. I know he was basically #1C quality a couple years back, and fell back from that peak due to injury. If he's still an above average #2C I think the Jackets would be interested. And I wouldn't rule out the Panthers being interested in a non-Werenski package. It would just have to be a lot better than the one cited above, and they'd have to be by chance very interested in Ryan Murray, or perhaps Nuti. Murray is one of those guys that scouts could have strongly divergent opinions on. Panthers are looking for D help, perhaps a Panthers scout watched Murray's last game (where he was our MVP), and sent back the tape "Dale: must watch". We don't know.

Murray +
Wennberg ($1m retained)

for

Trocheck

I don't know what Dale Tallon's laugh sounds like but I know it would be very loud in this case.

Reactions: domi28

Dumais

It's All In The Reflexes
Jul 24, 2013

Murray +
Wennberg ($1m retained)

for

Trocheck
I imagine it would be something like:

Murray + Jenner + a pick
Murray + Anderson
Murray + 1st
for
Trocheck, Pysyk

Reactions: Cyclones Rock

Kellen

Apr 17, 2019

I was thinking the same thing. Hell we did it with Korpi a few times if I remember correctly.

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
I imagine it would be something like:

Murray + Jenner + a pick
Murray + Anderson
Murray + 1st
for
Trocheck, Pysyk

I could imagine Jenner substituting for Wennberg, not sure if that's preferable to a retained Wennberg or if it's a deal-breaker for the Jackets. The Panthers are trying to win now, I don't think they'd value the Jackets' 1st more than the Jackets would. And of course they'd do it for Anderson, but the Jackets wouldn't.

Dumais

It's All In The Reflexes
Jul 24, 2013
I could imagine Jenner substituting for Wennberg, not sure if that's preferable to a retained Wennberg or if it's a deal-breaker for the Jackets. The Panthers are trying to win now, I don't think they'd value the Jackets' 1st more than the Jackets would. And of course they'd do it for Anderson, but the Jackets wouldn't.
Well, all those are dependent on Tallon thinking Murray is a top pairing dman. It would likely cost more.

Reactions: Cyclones Rock

koteka

Jan 1, 2017
Central Ohio
I’d build something around Murray for a 2020 first and a forward prospect like Cole Schwindt. Maybe add another D from us (Clendening or Harrington) and Pysyk plus another pick/prospect from them to balance everything out

The logic from our side is we have an obvious D surplus and could afford to trade Murray. Then we could rebuild our picks and prospects either for the future or for a trade deadline rental (rent Nugent-Hopkins for what we get for Murray).

The logic from the Panther’s side is they need a D upgrade and they think they are a playoff team so their first won’t be in the top half.

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
I’d build something around Murray for a 2020 first and a forward prospect like Cole Schwindt. Maybe add another D from us (Clendening or Harrington) and Pysyk plus another pick/prospect from them to balance everything out

The logic from our side is we have an obvious D surplus and could afford to trade Murray. Then we could rebuild our picks and prospects either for the future or for a trade deadline rental (rent Nugent-Hopkins for what we get for Murray).

The logic from the Panther’s side is they need a D upgrade and they think they are a playoff team so their first won’t be in the top half.

I think the Jackets would strongly prefer to steer a course in between rentals and selling off for picks.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad