What would you like CBJ management to do?

What should the org do ?

• Total voters

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
Depends on the deal!

I'm marginally more interested in moving Werenski for a F than I was two weeks ago. But still not enough to move him for Kyle Connor, I don't think that adds enough offense on net.

And are we really going to get a good top 9F for Harrington or Kukan? Like someone that Torts would actually play?

I still would like to get another goalie - Jimmy Howard or Robin Lehner might be available if those teams fall out of the running later in the season. So we might as well see how our goalie experiment works.

CBJWerenski8

Formerly CBJWennberg10 (RIP Kivi)
Jun 13, 2009
Firstly, I will admit that I haven't been impressed with any of Kukan, Harrington, or Werenski in this (extremely) small sample of games. Werenski has a much higher bar than the other two, but I've been mostly disappointed in all three.

However, I don't think trading Werenski would be the smart move. Long term or short term.

Yes, the team needs a high end scoring player (ideally a center) badly. So do a lot of teams. A lot of teams also desire exactly what Werenski brings, and not only do we have him but we have Jones who is one of the best defenseman in the game. Too much of a good thing doesn't exist. I think Werenski has a ways to go defensively, but I don't think he's bad enough defensively to be compared to a Wisniewski, and has shown an interest in improving in those areas.

Meanwhile, the team has some potential top scoring talent, which is exactly what we need. Bjorkstrand looks good. The team obviously has very high hopes and expectations in Texier and Bemstrom. I don't think Andeson has top tier offensive potential like these guys do, but he's also young enough to keep growing. Not to mention PLD, who has looked good the past two games alongside of Cam and Nyquist. Anyway, what I'm saying is just because its a need right now doesn't mean we should trade a high tier young asset for it. Werenski is arguably our 2nd best defenseman, and unarguably has the 2nd highest potential of our defensive group.

In the hypothetical that we would trade him for a top young player. I could see a scenario where Bjorkstrand and maybe Texier both blossom into top tier scoring players, along with our new guy, but we lack offensive talent from the back end to transport the puck up the ice to our new top forwards (aside from Jones and Murray). Then we would need a very good puck moving guy. Nutivaara could have that potential, but unlike our other potential guys, he really struggles to show it other than in flashes.

Kukan and Harrington won't return much. Certainly nothing worth writing home about, but I would rather lose one of them than trade Werenski unless we got an absurd young studly center out of it.

EspenK

Sep 25, 2011
I voted option 4. Trading Kukan/Harrington will bring a 3rd liner. Meh.
Nobody is giving up a top F for Zach. At least not the kind we need.
Nobody is giving up a serviceable G at this point in the. Maybe a TDL deal would be possible.

Personally I'd want to see a playoff miss and a #1 OA pick, Finally would have a franchise F to replace Bread.

spintheblackcircle

incoming!!!
Mar 1, 2002
I love Zach, but I think he is the player that has to go to improve the forwards.

The team isn't better when you put in Kukan for Zach of course. But it's better if you can put in Taylor Hall and Kukan for Werenski and any other forward you scratch for Hall.

Ice9

Jun 25, 2016
In the woods
Leaving things alone at the moment. I might move guys for draft picks rather than top 9 prospects. We have some prospects.

I'd probably look at the direction we're taking. Is Torts the guy to lead the youth movement? We can't exasperate and ruin our young talent. IS there a guy out there and CAN I get him that'll come in and install a dynamic offensive system? Is he even in the states? Do we have the players to play it? We want a reason for top tier players to want to look into the CBJ . Seems to be a bit of a stigma with Cbus since the Bob and Bread mess. An innovative, dynamic coach may Change it...

Do I market well and what do we have to offer any FA's that could put us over the top when the time comes? Can we boost attendance and raise the capital to afford more toys?

Plenty to do without pulling the trigger and doing something rash. GET PICKS AND KEEP PUSHING FORWARD WITH DEVELOPMENT!

Jackets16

Jan 7, 2005
Firstly, I will admit that I haven't been impressed with any of Kukan, Harrington, or Werenski in this (extremely) small sample of games. Werenski has a much higher bar than the other two, but I've been mostly disappointed in all three.

Savard currently has 0 goals, 0 assists, 0 points, 4 shots, and is a -5.
Werenski currently has 1 goal, 1 assist, 2 points, 12 shots ans is a -3.

Not sure how Werenski has been more dissapointing than Savard.

Also, why isn't Jenner being talked about on this board? Maybe I missed it, since I don't read many of the threads on here, but he has 0 points and is a team worst -6.

Reactions: Palm Tree

spintheblackcircle

incoming!!!
Mar 1, 2002
Point taken. I sill don't think it will happen. Hall could e available in UFA and we have some cap available.

Hockey Night in Canada talked about the Devils and said the talk is that if they don't turn things around quickly, Hall could the person on the move again. That's the reason he came to mind right away.

Nov 13, 2006
Ohio
Hockey Night in Canada talked about the Devils and said the talk is that if they don't turn things around quickly, Hall could the person on the move again. That's the reason he came to mind right away.
Considering Hall's contract status and age, I would only consider this if he was traded with a 5 year extension in place or without it, along with a high end prospect or the Devils' 2020 1st.

Crede777

Deputized
Dec 16, 2009
My only worry this season is not rushing the rookies. Texier seems ok (if he can stay on the coaching staff's good side and continue to learn) but I am a bit concerned about Bemstrom and Merzlikins.

Not saying that is what they are doing, but it is a concern to keep in mind.

If Bemstrom is starting to look like a healthy scratch, send him back to Europe (or AHL if that becomes an option). Also, if they are concerned they can't start Elvis without giving up 5+ goals, send him to Cleveland and bring in a journeyman backup to play behind Korpi.

Otherwise, see where the season takes them and look to add talent in the offseason through the draft and free agency.

Last edited:

EspenK

Sep 25, 2011

I don't know if I give up Zach for him. I'd prefer one of the other D and I like a 5 year deal as Canolli suggests. I don't know if we could make a deal on with those kind of parameters but I'm sure as hell not giving up Zach for a potential rental.

Dumais

It's All In The Reflexes
Jul 24, 2013
meh

Now: Look for a 2c, give Nash starts until then.
Later: try to trade Jones or Werenski for a #1a center.

Rather have 2xcenters and 1xdefenseman as a core
Than 1xcenter and 2xdefensemen.

And while Werenski isnt as good as Jones ATM, I think he would make a "good-enough" number 1 dman to build (no building necessary) a championship team around.

Jackets16

Jan 7, 2005
Love to sign Scott Harrington to a 3-year deal and press box him routinely in year 1 of that deal. Great signing!

It was. He was signed to be a depth defensmean which is what he is being used as. He will most likely be needed during the season and we will be happy we have him.

JacketFanInFL

Brick by Brick
Mar 27, 2006
Central FL
Just tank. Get as many draft picks as possible. We don't have the roster where we are one forward away from playoffs or the Cup. Even a guy like Panarin would only get us back to the lower playoff echelon. Whether or not anyone wants to accept it, we are in a rebuild.

100% cannot trade for any more grinders (Top 9 forward). The organization and current roster is littered with them. We need raw skill and speed.
Goalies are too much of a crapshoot. I do think we will need an Elvis replacement.
I am not convinced Werenski would give us a huge return. If he does, great. I don't think he's this untouchable franchise player. So that's my second vote.

Reactions: Cowumbus

CBJWerenski8

Formerly CBJWennberg10 (RIP Kivi)
Jun 13, 2009
Savard currently has 0 goals, 0 assists, 0 points, 4 shots, and is a -5.
Werenski currently has 1 goal, 1 assist, 2 points, 12 shots ans is a -3.

Not sure how Werenski has been more dissapointing than Savard.

Also, why isn't Jenner being talked about on this board? Maybe I missed it, since I don't read many of the threads on here, but he has 0 points and is a team worst -6.

I don’t care about plus minus at all.

I think Jenner and savard have been fine. These guys aren’t expected to bring or carry the offense. Their impact is in other areas.

Reactions: thebus88

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad