What would you be willing to trade to acquire Jack Eichel?

Status
Not open for further replies.

thebus88

19/20 Columbus Blue Jackets: "It Is What It Is"
Sep 27, 2017
Michigan
It would have to be Dubois+++ going to Buffalo. Something like Dubois, Korpisalo, Gavrikov, Bemstrom.

Crazy. If that's what it has to be, then its an easy no deal. What happens when Dubois and Eichel match up head to head.... ON THE ICE?? Do those numbers exist? Or is that too advanced for the statisticians? Also, at what point does a guy like Eichel, with a HUGE ROLE on his team, get credit for his team performing the way they do? Dude is a more skilled Johansen. Lazy, soft, whiny/diva, good offensive skills, yes. Also like Jojo, his negative energy clearly negatively affects the Sabres team.

Give me P-L-D, 10/10 times. Seth Jones, 11/10.

To add, Korpisalo isn't some "throw in" either.

I’d do Buffalo’s choice of either Werenski or Dubois plus Buffalo’s choice of our “4th-best asset” (i.e., after Jones/Werenski/Dubois. My guess is they’d go for either Bjorkstrand or Texier but could also be any of Anderson/Gavrikov/Elvis/Foudy) plus our first round pick. I wouldn’t go any higher than that. Not sure if that’d be enough. I’d maybe move Jones straight up (not sure if I would) but would not add to that (sounds like they don’t need D anyway though). So I’d imagine something like this:

Dubois
Bjorkstrand or Texier
2020 1st

Dubois+Bjorkstrand is very close in value to Dubois+Werenski, imo. Jones (like the number 4) IS RIGHT OUT.

I believe Bjorkstrand is quite literally just as good of a shooter/goal scorer as Eichel. Different position and ability to handle/control the puck and distribute the puck, yes. Bjorkstrand is just as impactful, if not more, when it comes to offensive pressure/forechecking and defensively/physical impact, same can be said for Dubois, in relation to Eichel.

Seriously if the Jackets could land Eichel I'd give up a lot excluding Jones, Zac. OB and PLD.

Good list of "untouchables". I guess if I really had to, and people will call for a proposal, I would maybe be 'ok' with Werenski+Texier/Bemstrom. I hesitate even adding a mid/late 1st.

I am not an Eichel fan in any way. I may call Werenski lazy, but, I wont call him soft, or a "diva". Like Jojo, Eichel is all 3. You CAN NOT have your hockey team captained or led by a player like that.

Some/most of these proposals are crazy. Leaving most of the Jones stuff out, I'll just say that I would not move him for Eichel straight up as I believe the team is in no position to move Jones in any way.

Reactions: Double-Shift Lasse

Double-Shift Lasse

Just post better
Dec 22, 2004
Exurban Cbus

Crazy. If that's what it has to be, then its an easy no deal. What happens when Dubois and Eichel match up head to head.... ON THE ICE?? Do those numbers exist? Or is that too advanced for the statisticians? Also, at what point does a guy like Eichel, with a HUGE ROLE on his team, get credit for his team performing the way they do? Dude is a more skilled Johansen. Lazy, soft, whiny/diva, good offensive skills, yes. Also like Jojo, his negative energy clearly negatively affects the Sabres team.

Give me P-L-D, 10/10 times. Seth Jones, 11/10.

To add, Korpisalo isn't some "throw in" either.

Dubois+Bjorkstrand is very close in value to Dubois+Werenski, imo. Jones (like the number 4) IS RIGHT OUT.

I believe Bjorkstrand is quite literally just as good of a shooter/goal scorer as Eichel. Different position and ability to handle/control the puck and distribute the puck, yes. Bjorkstrand is just as impactful, if not more, when it comes to offensive pressure/forechecking and defensively/physical impact, same can be said for Dubois, in relation to Eichel.

Good list of "untouchables". I guess if I really had to, and people will call for a proposal, I would maybe be 'ok' with Werenski+Texier/Bemstrom. I hesitate even adding a mid/late 1st.

I am not an Eichel fan in any way. I may call Werenski lazy, but, I wont call him soft, or a "diva". Like Jojo, Eichel is all 3. You CAN NOT have your hockey team captained or led by a player like that.

Some/most of these proposals are crazy. Leaving most of the Jones stuff out, I'll just say that I would not move him for Eichel straight up as I believe the team is in no position to move Jones in any way.

I made a brief post a couple pages back about not interested in Eichel. Most of the details about why are in here.

Monstershockey

Sponsor
Dec 31, 2017
I don't talk about drafts or trades much, but to me, Bjorkstrand is a guy they need to keep. He has proven that he is a clutch player. He is a guy that when you need a big goal, he is usually the guy that can get it. He was huge for Cleveland in the Calder Cup playoffs, including the last 2 overtime game and cup winning goals. He had a good series against Tampa, including the go ahead goal in game 4 after Tampa tied it at 3. He didn't do much against Boston, but I think he has that intangible of being a clutch guy. He had some big goals during this regular season also. I may be biased, but I think he is an untouchable.

CoachWithNoTeam

Jul 1, 2006
San Diego
I don't talk about drafts or trades much, but to me, Bjorkstrand is a guy they need to keep. He has proven that he is a clutch player. He is a guy that when you need a big goal, he is usually the guy that can get it. He was huge for Cleveland in the Calder Cup playoffs, including the last 2 overtime game and cup winning goals. He had a good series against Tampa, including the go ahead goal in game 4 after Tampa tied it at 3. He didn't do much against Boston, but I think he has that intangible of being a clutch guy. He had some big goals during this regular season also. I may be biased, but I think he is an untouchable.

To be fair, he was the single most productive player on the team this year (in points per game) and it was his first season with top 6 ice-time. He does seem to be getting better every year, yet somehow still seems to be flying under the radar. To me, he’s the most valuable piece we have after the big three.

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018

Prophecy has foretold that cup winning goals will come off of Bjorkstrand's stick, so we better keep him on our team.

Reactions: We Want Ten

Long Live Lyle

Feb 10, 2019
Chicago, IL

Wouldn’t call him an “untouchable” but I do love Bjorky. The author of the article that Viqsi posted in the other thread who called Jones overrated based on advanced stats also thinks Bjorkstrand is perhaps the most underrated player in the entire league based on his advanced stats (for whatever that’s worth). I still think I’d be willing to do PLD/Werenski + Bjorkstrand for Eichel, but would no longer also be willing to include the 1st round pick. If they’d be fine with Gavrikov or Texier or whomever in place of Bjork, I’d be willing to add the 2020 1st in still.

I am not an Eichel fan in any way. I may call Werenski lazy, but, I wont call him soft, or a "diva". Like Jojo, Eichel is all 3. You CAN NOT have your hockey team
captained or led by a player like that.

What is your basis for that? Simply because he expressed frustration at all the losing? I don’t think that makes him a diva. It arguably is a good thing, better than someone who doesn’t care and is happy to just collect a paycheck. Perhaps there’s something else I’m not aware of.

And while you’re right that I wouldn’t want someone like that leading and captaining the team (I’m not saying Eichel has those traits, but I wouldn’t want anyone like that captaining the team), whether that’s Eichel or not, it’s irrelevant, because we have Foligno (for now) and Jones (for the future) and other guys like Cam, Boone, etc... he wouldn’t be the C here, and likely not an A, at least at first.

Eichel is an elite center in this league and only 23 years old. If he is on the block (I don’t think he really is), we absolutely should explore it and be ready to give up a lot for him (within reason) if the opportunity presents itself.

Reactions: rotsbu and Toe Pick

Monstershockey

Sponsor
Dec 31, 2017
Wouldn’t call him an “untouchable” but I do love Bjorky. The author of the article that Viqsi posted in the other thread who called Jones overrated based on advanced stats also thinks Bjorkstrand is perhaps the most underrated player in the entire league based on his advanced stats (for whatever that’s worth). I still think I’d be willing to do PLD/Werenski + Bjorkstrand for Eichel, but would no longer also be willing to include the 1st round pick. If they’d be fine with Gavrikov or Texier or whomever in place of Bjork, I’d be willing to add the 2020 1st in still.
The thing is, giving up PLD, Werenski, and Bjorkstrand for Eichel, is that your taking away most of your teams production for a guy that most likely won't make that up, lose a good secondary scoring threat, lose a solid offensive threat from a d-man, and actually get worse at taking face-offs for a team that already struggles there, other than Jenner. To me, that is way too much. You're going to end up with a team that once you get past Eichel, where is the offense going to come from? I would try extending all 3 of those guys before trading them. They are a solid nucleus to build around. Of course, things could change, but there is always risk either way.

Toe Pick

Jun 13, 2011
Columbus, OH
Wouldn’t call him an “untouchable” but I do love Bjorky. The author of the article that Viqsi posted in the other thread who called Jones overrated based on advanced stats also thinks Bjorkstrand is perhaps the most underrated player in the entire league based on his advanced stats (for whatever that’s worth). I still think I’d be willing to do PLD/Werenski + Bjorkstrand for Eichel,

Like everything about this post except for the "+Bjorkstrand" part. I wouldn't go that far but would trade two of PLD/Werenski/Bjorkstrand for this guy and not look back.

I am a little concerned about the "diva" part, mostly due to Jeff Carter flashbacks, but I trust Jarmo and co to do their homework there if this deal ever went down << which is unlikely but still fun to speculate!

Double-Shift Lasse

Just post better
Dec 22, 2004
Exurban Cbus
Like everything about this post except for the "+Bjorkstrand" part. I wouldn't go that far but would trade two of PLD/Werenski/Bjorkstrand for this guy and not look back.

I am a little concerned about the "diva" part, mostly due to Jeff Carter flashbacks, but I trust Jarmo and co to do their homework there if this deal ever went down << which is unlikely but still fun to speculate!

I think Lyle was saying PLD or Werenski (this the / and not the +) plus Bjork.

Reactions: Toe Pick

Double-Shift Lasse

Just post better
Dec 22, 2004
Exurban Cbus
Ah. I see now. Thanks for clarification.

Now watch me be wrong...

It's Eichel's mental makeup that concerns me most. And yeah, not being among the players means I don't really have a basis for that other that gut feeling, but I've seen him get hang-dog a few times and quickly and truth is I'm not watching him a tremendous amount.

I would assume Jarmo and team would suss this out, if they haven't already (pro scouts just keeping ongoing books on players), and would cross my fingers and trust them if Jack was brought in.

But if it's me, and just for the purposes of discussion, I'm not interested in moving either of Werenski or PLD. And probably not Bjorkstrand or Texier, either.

Reactions: rotsbu and thebus88

Monstershockey

Sponsor
Dec 31, 2017
I think Lyle was saying PLD or Werenski (this the / and not the +) plus Bjork.
I misread that also. I thought he meant all 3 too. 2 for 1 makes it a little better but I still wouldn't do it. Columbus built a nice core through the draft, and added some parts and became a yearly contender. I would rather keep a good core and try to build around it. I guess watching the Indians and how they have done it since the 90's, growing talent in their farm system and developing a solid core, then building around it, I have become accustomed to that. They haven't won a world series, but they did get there 3 times and get to extra innings of game 7 twice, plus made the playoffs a bunch of times. Its been an exciting 26 years since seeing crap from the mid 70's until they got good in '94.

LetsGOJackets!!

Mar 23, 2004
Columbus Ohio
For Jack Eichel? I read an article in the Athletic that compares all snipers and shots taken between the dots.. Ovechkin, McDavid, Crosby, Malkin, Kane, Eichel.. the first 5 took 50% more shots than Jack and made 10% or less goals of their shots. Jack made goals on 11 of 27. 41% that is fricking unreal. There is an argument that Eichel may be the most skilled of the bunch, and he has done his damage on very bad teams. Put him on the Jackets, with their defensive play and he would turn the fortunes of Cam, Nyquist, PLD, Bjork (even Anderson), far more than Bread did (granted Bread was the best we have ever had). Making this trade would elevate our entire offensive game, the issue is how bad do you gut this borderline playoff lock team to get him. We are very young.. I would be willing to throw in the draft picks that move this over the top.. I'm tired of being jealous of the city of Pittsburgh. In my lifetime they have won championships in Football, Baseball and Hockey.. thank God for the Reds and Buckeyes otherwise I am o for the last 60 years.

Last edited:
Reactions: Toe Pick

cslebn

80 forever
Feb 15, 2012
For Jack Eichel? I read an article in the Athletic that compare all snipers and shots taken between the dots.. Ovechkin, McDavid, Crosby, Malkin, Kane, Eichel.. the first 5 took 50% more shots than Jack and made 10% or less goals of their shots. Jack made goals on 11 of 27. 41% that is fricking unreal. There is an argument that Eichel may be the most skilled of the bunch, and he has done his damage on very bad teams. Put him on the Jackets, with their defensive play and he would turn the fortunes of Cam, Nyquist, PLD, Bjork (even Anderson), far more than Bread did (granted Bread was the best we have ever had). Making this trade would elevate our entire offensive game, the issue is how bad do you gut this borderline playoff lock team to get him. We are very young.. I would be willing to throw in the draft picks that move this over the top.. I'm tired of being jealous of the city of Pittsburgh. In my lifetime they have one championships in Football, Baseball and Hockey.. thank God for the Reds and Buckeyes otherwise I am o for the last 60 years.

I wonder how much he really improves the players around him.

Just watching it has felt like he is disconnected from the other players in the ice at times.

Reactions: thebus88

Crede777

Deputized
Dec 16, 2009
I wonder how much he really improves the players around him.

Just watching it has felt like he is disconnected from the other players in the ice at times.
How much of that is due to coaching and lack of structure though?

I can't imagine a player looking disconnected when Torts is the coach.

Long Live Lyle

Feb 10, 2019
Chicago, IL
The thing is, giving up PLD, Werenski, and Bjorkstrand for Eichel, is that your taking away most of your teams production for a guy that most likely won't make that up, lose a good secondary scoring threat, lose a solid offensive threat from a d-man, and actually get worse at taking face-offs for a team that already struggles there, other than Jenner. To me, that is way too much. You're going to end up with a team that once you get past Eichel, where is the offense going to come from? I would try extending all 3 of those guys before trading them. They are a solid nucleus to build around. Of course, things could change, but there is always risk either way.

Sorry, I wasn’t clear. I meant either PLD OR Zach + Bjorkstrand, not all three.

ETA: What DSL said.

cslebn

80 forever
Feb 15, 2012
How much of that is due to coaching and lack of structure though?

I can't imagine a player looking disconnected when Torts is the coach.

Seemed like Kruger improved that a lot at the start last year. Not sure why they fell off so hard.

member 300185

Buffalo hangs up the phone with any of the trades I've seen here. Buffalo does not need D and need offence. If you take Eichel out of the mix, then they are really hurting. This is not a match.

You'd be better off going after Drai from the Oilers. That match is a fit. Oilers need D and are loaded with offence, and have some offence on D as well in Klefbom and Nurse. They have a stay at home guy in Larsson and not much else. They only have 3 guys that play regular minutes over 200 pounds. Their D is virtually tiny after their top 3 on D so a package could be made for Drai for sure. But Drai has reached superstar status and is a centre. Dubois would have to come back with a top 2 D. Then add in one of your young goaltenders after you decide who your starter is.

To CBJ

Leon Draisaitl
Matt Benning
2022 3rd round pick
Offensive prospect

To Oilers

Dubois
Kukan
Savard
Korpisalo
2022 2nd round pick
Defensive prospect.

Oilers get some much needed size and help on D, Get a centre back in Dubois, who had only 49 points in 70 games. Drai had 110 points on 43 goals in 71 games.

CBJ get their much needed superstar forward, (who is better than Eichel) Benning who is basically a trade off for Kukan, albeit Kukan has a higher ceiling.

This trade helps both teams and does not hurt CBJ's at defence because of depth and you get to keep your big 2 stars in Jones and Werenski. Sure, you lose Dubois off your roster, but you are getting a superstar back.

I was a lazy and didn't check the cap. Someone else can do that.

Option number 2

Oilers get:

Dubois
Savard
Kukan
Korpisalo

CBJ gets Draisaitl

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
Buffalo hangs up the phone with any of the trades I've seen here. Buffalo does not need D and need offence. If you take Eichel out of the mix, then they are really hurting. This is not a match.

You'd be better off going after Drai from the Oilers. That match is a fit. Oilers need D and are loaded with offence, and have some offence on D as well in Klefbom and Nurse. They have a stay at home guy in Larsson and not much else. They only have 3 guys that play regular minutes over 200 pounds. Their D is virtually tiny after their top 3 on D so a package could be made for Drai for sure. But Drai has reached superstar status and is a centre. Dubois would have to come back with a top 2 D. Then add in one of your young goaltenders after you decide who your starter is.

To CBJ

Leon Draisaitl
Matt Benning
2022 3rd round pick
Offensive prospect

To Oilers

Dubois
Kukan
Savard
Korpisalo
2022 2nd round pick
Defensive prospect.

Oilers get some much needed size and help on D, Get a centre back in Dubois, who had only 49 points in 70 games. Drai had 110 points on 43 goals in 71 games.

CBJ get their much needed superstar forward, (who is better than Eichel) Benning who is basically a trade off for Kukan, albeit Kukan has a higher ceiling.

This trade helps both teams and does not hurt CBJ's at defence because of depth and you get to keep your big 2 stars in Jones and Werenski. Sure, you lose Dubois off your roster, but you are getting a superstar back.

I was a lazy and didn't check the cap. Someone else can do that.

Option number 2

Oilers get:

Dubois
Savard
Kukan
Korpisalo

CBJ gets Draisaitl

Lay off the sauce Lahey. Drai isn't on the block, and would cost a lot more than that.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad