What would you be willing to trade to acquire Jack Eichel?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Toe Pick

Jun 13, 2011
Columbus, OH
^That's not a bad package either and I like it better without giving up a first. I'd rather move Foudy or Texier before Bemstrom but that's just a personal preference.

Also agree there seems to be some common ground amongst fanbases so that is indeed encouraging.

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
^That's not a bad package either and I like it better without giving up a first. I'd rather move Foudy or Texier before Bemstrom but that's just a personal preference.

Also agree there seems to be some common ground amongst fanbases so that is indeed encouraging.

I like Bemstrom's upside just as much. He has that high compete sniper combo that is worth a lot. But the Sabres could use him more than the Jackets could. Our RW situation:

Bjorkstrand
Atkinson
Anderson
Bemstrom
Marchenko (#1 RW upside)
Trey Fix Wolansky
Anyone I miss? Sherwood?

We have the RW pool for two whole teams.

Meanwhile if we move the wrong one of Foudy/Texier (whichever one pops as a great 2C) we're back to having a hole at 2C. And LW is weaker here than in Buffalo, Texier and Foudy will be LW or C.

Reactions: Viqsi

Byrral

Aug 2, 2006
Columbus, Ohio
These are interesting to see what everyone is willing to spend to get a top flight number one center. Browse the trade boards Eichel threads. Look at the responses from the Sabres fans. The CBJ don't have the assets to acquire him (Dubois is too much of a downgrade even with Jones included. And they don't need Zach either because they have Dahlin). His real value is too tough a pill to swallow. Draft (get lucky) and develop.

LetsGOJackets!!

Mar 23, 2004
Columbus Ohio
These are interesting to see what everyone is willing to spend to get a top flight number one center. Browse the trade boards Eichel threads. Look at the responses from the Sabres fans. The CBJ don't have the assets to acquire him (Dubois is too much of a downgrade even with Jones included. And they don't need Zach either because they have Dahlin). His real value is too tough a pill to swallow. Draft (get lucky) and develop.

Every now and then there are hockey trades.. I doubt Jack Eichel will be part of one of those. I remember when Nash wanted out of Columbus and Mgmt agreed to move him.. that is just a bad position to be in, Eichel may put Buffalo in that kind of position. If that happens he is going West.. they won't trade him in the East.

Reactions: Byrral

koteka

Jan 1, 2017
Central Ohio
I look at what Ottawa could offer and don’t think anyone could beat them. Of course there is the whole thing about it being Ottawa. But they have lots of valuable picks. They could offer their pick or San Jose’s pick. They could offer a prospect like Logan Brown. Or Lassi Thomson who Ottawa drafted with our first last year. Or the Islanders 1st. Or 2 CBJ seconds. Or several other seconds that they have.

If Buffalo was offered Byfield plus a combination, does Buffalo say no?

Ottawa could offer Byfield, Logan Brown, and a pick or picks. Buffalo then gains 2 centers including a number 2 overall and a # 11 overall plus to replace a #2 overall. Nobody thinks they are doing anything in the next few years anyway, why not reload?

Ottawa could end up with Eichel and still draft a guy like Stutzle and still have plenty of other picks plus Tkachuk, Chabot, and lots of youth. And all star Anthony Duclair. That would be a pretty good core.

What if Ottawa wins the Lafreniere sweepsteaks? Do they have the balls to make a big offer for Eichel? Their 2 other firsts in the 2020 plus serious prospects. Would Eichel drool at the thought of Lafreniere on his wing?

I really don’t see Eichel coming here.

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
I look at what Ottawa could offer and don’t think anyone could beat them. Of course there is the whole thing about it being Ottawa. But they have lots of valuable picks. They could offer their pick or San Jose’s pick. They could offer a prospect like Logan Brown. Or Lassi Thomson who Ottawa drafted with our first last year. Or the Islanders 1st. Or 2 CBJ seconds. Or several other seconds that they have.

If Buffalo was offered Byfield plus a combination, does Buffalo say no?

Ottawa could offer Byfield, Logan Brown, and a pick or picks. Buffalo then gains 2 centers including a number 2 overall and a # 11 overall plus to replace a #2 overall. Nobody thinks they are doing anything in the next few years anyway, why not reload?

Ottawa could end up with Eichel and still draft a guy like Stutzle and still have plenty of other picks plus Tkachuk, Chabot, and lots of youth. And all star Anthony Duclair. That would be a pretty good core.

What if Ottawa wins the Lafreniere sweepsteaks? Do they have the balls to make a big offer for Eichel? Their 2 other firsts in the 2020 plus serious prospects. Would Eichel drool at the thought of Lafreniere on his wing?

I really don’t see Eichel coming here.

Two issues - Eichel would be leaving because he's sick of losing. He's not going to want to go to a squad like Ottawa that's in the middle of a nuclear rebuild and has unstable ownership. The other issue is that the Sabres are sick of rebuilding. On the trade thread the Sabres fans are more amenable to the Dubois+++ package than they are to the ones centered around top draft picks.

Reactions: ThisIsMyAlibi

CoachWithNoTeam

Jul 1, 2006
San Diego
I would trade anyone but Jones. I also agree that we can’t put together the futures-only package that Ottawa could offer, but we can spare a top end forward or two (really any of them), or young NHL-ready prospects with upside (Bemstrom, Texier, Foudy), and top 4 defensemen, and a starting goalie. If Buffalo isn’t looking for a full rebuild, they could look to fill 3-4 holes throughout the lineup. And it wouldn’t hurt us to unload multiple pieces, given how many players showed this season that they can step right into the lineup.

Last edited:
Reactions: ThisIsMyAlibi

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
I would trade anyone but Jones. I also agree that we can’t put together the futures-only package that Ottawa could offer, but we can spare a top end forward or two (really any of them), or young NHL-ready prospects with upside (Bemstrom, Texier, Foudy), and top 4 defensemen, and a starting goalie. If Buffalo isn’t looking for a full rebuild, they could look to fill 3-4 holes throughout the lineup. And it wouldn’t hurt us to unload multiple pieces, given how many players showed this season that they can step right into the lineup.

This is what me and one Sabres fan came up with:

:sabres
PLD
Gavrikov
Bemstrom
2020 1st
:cbj
Eichel
Johansson
Cederqvist

They don't want a mostly futures package but at least this one fan really wanted the 1st instead of Korpi, which I get. Ullmark is fine.

Reactions: CoachWithNoTeam

Long Live Lyle

Feb 10, 2019
Chicago, IL
If Sabres called and offered Eichel for Werenski and PLD, I’d drive them both to the airport myself. We’re talking a franchise center here, folks. No offense to Pierre and Zach, they’re elite, but not franchise players.

Having a young franchise center and a young franchise D man is the dream scenario to build the team around.

I think that's too much, especially when the non-Sabre team is the one dealing from the position of strength in this situation. Sabres fans seem pretty amenable to getting just PLD back (with other combos of players/picks/prospects added, of course) without needing Zach, too.

EspenK

Sep 25, 2011
I would shed a few tears losing PLD and Zach... back to real life, how do we climb in the draft to get one of the top centers?

I don't think we have a chance. It would take too much. Maybe we can win the lottery but I'm not sure how it is going to work anymore.

CoachWithNoTeam

Jul 1, 2006
San Diego
I would shed a few tears losing PLD and Zach... back to real life, how do we climb in the draft to get one of the top centers?

I think the better option here would be to just draft well in that 15-20 range and try to develop a top 6 center.

With PLD we drafted the 2nd best center in that draft (Matthews), and with Werenski we arguably drafted the best D in that draft (Hanifin, Provorov).

I would consider the trade, but I don’t think it’s a sure thing. I like that it would boost our top line, but we lose(/replace) our best forward and the top goal scoring D in the league. It takes our defensive group from arguably the best in the league to average, while we could still say our center group afterward is average. It’s a strange combination of trading from our biggest strength and our biggest area of need. Center would still be an area of need and we would find ourselves looking for a power play QB/offensive defenseman.

Reactions: thebus88 and cslebn

EspenK

Sep 25, 2011
I’m not trading both Werenski and PLD for Eichel. Pick one and build a package off that, but not both.

I'm not keen on trading either one of them. If you do trade Zach then you have two top Cs for a long time. If you trade PLD you're still searching for another top 2 C but your top D pair is going to be special for a long time. Push comes to shove I guess I'd rather give up Zach.

How about Cam, Anderson, Gavrikov & 2 firsts? Maybe get a 2nd and/or a prospect back. Probably too much but ironically I'm not sure Buffalo would take.

Xoggz22

Mar 4, 2002
Columbus, Ohio
Anything it would cost Columbus for it to be worth it to Buffalo is simply going to hurt and likely not be in the best interest of the CBJ. Moving Z and PLD would be tough for me. We still lack a 2C and now we also break up the possible best top pair D for the next 8+ years. I know it's not the popular decision, I'm sure, but If we can't put a deal that would be only Z or PLD included, I'm struggling to see how CBJ actually improves...as great as Eichel would be.

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
I'm not keen on trading either one of them. If you do trade Zach then you have two top Cs for a long time. If you trade PLD you're still searching for another top 2 C but your top D pair is going to be special for a long time. Push comes to shove I guess I'd rather give up Zach.

How about Cam, Anderson, Gavrikov & 2 firsts? Maybe get a 2nd and/or a prospect back. Probably too much but ironically I'm not sure Buffalo would take.

Not nearly enough. We keep our best five or so assets and gain an asset that is better than any of our assets. That's just not possible.

Reactions: Toe Pick

cslebn

80 forever
Feb 15, 2012
If Sabres called and offered Eichel for Werenski and PLD, I’d drive them both to the airport myself. We’re talking a franchise center here, folks. No offense to Pierre and Zach, they’re elite, but not franchise players.

Having a young franchise center and a young franchise D man is the dream scenario to build the team around.

Eichel/Dahlin hasn't been working out that great so far.

I don't want to give up both.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad