Speculation: what would Vancouver give up for 1st overall

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
assuming they could unite the Hughes brothers right after the Sedin twins. what else besides their own 1st rounder? obviously the return depends on where that pick is. would they do it, even if their pick is two, or three?
They should not.
1) a lot of teams need a new face of the franchise and I would suspect they aren’t into moving Hughes.
2) Canucks don’t have the depth of talent to afford it. They didn’t acquire extra picks earlier and thus they could not afford to miss on many of them and it appears that they have (not to mention that they moved picks for early to mid 20 somethings who haven’t been great).
3) it’s a D and F. So completely different than the sedins who played together. Be like the niedermayers. More PR than anything.

Captain Mountain

Formerly Captain Wolverine
Jun 6, 2010
1) Unless the pick was #2, I don't think there's a plus that makes sense for both teams.
2) Vancouver wouldn't do it because the cost would be prohibitive.

danielpalfredsson

youtube dot com /watch?v=CdqMZ_s7Y6k
Aug 14, 2013
Teams don't trade 1st overall picks. It is just not happening. The amount VAN would have to trade wouldn't make sense for VAN and the amount VAN would offer wouldn't make sense to the team holding the pick.

CGY offered COL 6+22+28 for 1 in 2013 and it apparently wasn't even close.

If I have to stretch and think of a crazy EA NHL tier situation where it'd happen, it would be Edmonton winning and Vancouver trying to solve all their problems for a re-tool in one trade.

-1st Overall
-Milan Lucic
-Brandon Manning
-Stuart Skinner

for

-9th Overall
-Bo Horvat (cost controlled 2C)
-Chris Tanev (Rental RD, possibility for an extension)
-Thatcher Demko

Giving up the 1st overall lowers the burden of the Lucic cap dump because theoretically, Jack Hughes on his ELC should be a major cap advantage in itself since he should be a top 6 forward for all or most of his ELC but he'll be paid 3.6M or less (depending on what bonuses he hits).

Edmonton would basically fill 3 important direct needs on their roster next year, and they'd hugely fix their cap situation by removing Lucic and adding Horvat who is on a very good cost controlled contract for many seasons. Instead of adding Hughes who may or may not make an impact right away, they'll add 3 players who should make an impact in 3 positions of need, two of which should be on their team for the better part of the next decade.

They'd also get a top 10 pick to mess up with, so they wouldn't lose out on the fun of drafting relatively high and having it lead to nothing.

Again, super EA NHL unrealistic trade, but that's the way it is when you're talking about trading 1st overall picks. There's probably no way to make it work for both teams, so it never happens.

Reactions: Sila v Kucherove

TorontoTrades

Feb 4, 2012
They have Petterson and Horvat

No need to deal the farm for another center. Get best player available and keep building.

I think #3 is the earliest pick potentially tradable. No one is passing one Hughes or Kakko.

Reactions: KingCanadain1976

LBCANUCK

Jun 26, 2012
for anyone outside of the Vancouver market , Horvat won't be moved unless the over payment shocks the hockey world.

Feb 19, 2018
Alright that's convenient...

Draisaitl - Mcdavid - Virtanen
X - Nuge - Boeser

Is a nice blueprint to build around while upgrading in net and ditching Lucic's contract.

The three years ELC contract on Hughes makes up for the Lucic one. Boeser will make around 8 million a year on his new deal and we expose Kos in the expansion draft as we are likely to lose Demko or Markstrom as is. We also free up some cap space out of the deal to sign a scoring winger in free agency.

Feb 19, 2018
The three years ELC contract on Hughes makes up for the Lucic one. Boeser will make around 8 million a year on his new deal and we expose Kos in the expansion draft as we are likely to lose Demko or Markstrom as is. We also free up some cap space out of the deal to sign a scoring winger in free agency.

Also Virtanen on your first line is pure jokes lol

Reactions: Julio Jones

780il

edm
May 29, 2018
Edmonton AB

Also Virtanen on your first line is pure jokes lol
Your making it seem like we are getting shafted lol... I'm gonna go update the post haha

CraigBillington

Dec 10, 2010
I’d much rather see them trade to #3 or 4 and draft Byram instead.
The cost would be much less and I think Vancouver can afford to go forward with Petterson and Horvat as their Cs going forward while their need for more Ws and Ds are much greater

Feb 19, 2018
Your making it seem like we are getting shafted lol... I'm gonna go update the post haha

We got to keep our first round pick in the deal and it could end up being a lottery pick that would give us a number 1 winger to replace Boeser or a number 1 Dman we definitely need.

I’m sure most Nuck fans would take this deal.

LTIR

Nov 8, 2013
More likely scenario would be the Canucks trading Q.Hughes to the team drafting 1st overall for a king's ransom

Rob Brown

Way She Goes
Dec 17, 2009
Alright that's convenient...

Draisaitl - Mcdavid - Virtanen
X - Nuge - Boeser

Is a nice blueprint to build around while upgrading in net and ditching Lucic's contract.
You 100% play Boeser with McDavid.

Frankie Blueberries

Allergic to draft picks
Jan 27, 2016
This thread will be a lot more interesting tomorrow once we know who has 1st overall, what their needs are, and where the Canucks will pick.

780il

edm
May 29, 2018
Edmonton AB
You 100% play Boeser with McDavid.
Draisaitl just scored 50 goals and 105 points playing mainly on Connors wing... And Connor was on pace for 125ish if he played 82 games... So we 100% play those 2 together. Spread out the scoring to the 2nd line and give Nuge a good winger to play with.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad